Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 30, 2014, 06:03:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sstall mats and stall liners  (Read 2754 times)
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »

Stall mats and liners. I just ordered a stall mat for one stall from stall-savers.  It is supposed to be a porous 1/4 inch mat. I only ordered one because I am not sure that my wife is going to like it but I wondered what your experiences with stall linings have been.
Report to moderator   Logged

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Flirty Flo
Flirtologist

I'd introduce myself but you already know who I am

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »

Sam... is that the one piece style stall mat? I have all my stalls matted...love it! no horses digging to China!diggers find that once they try and fail they stop. LOL...I have found that I use less bedding as it stays cleaner and drier...the moisture from the ground stays out and the horses seem to lay down more...leading to a happier healthier horse. My mats are the traditional 3x5 and I have to custom fit them to my stalls...alot of work....but I do know years ago there was a company out of Michigan called Lunar rubber that would sell custom order one piece mats...which might be heavy to move, but easier to line your stall...

melodyjordanracingstable.com "In it to win it"
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »

Coming from the midwest to the east coast I had never seen that before....it works great. it really does keep things drier and cleaner and is easier to clean. I recommend it.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »

What are you matting over?  The only experience I have with stall mats was over concrete, and I hated it.  But then again, I wasn't allowed to bed over it as heavy as I wanted (sawdust) (?)  I've always preferred dirt, no mats, but it does get damp in this weather.
  Coincidentally this farm I'm at has some stalls wooden floors.  Good thick oak.  I started to pull it up, but there's large rock gravel underneath... which gives it good drainage... but it's noisy and slippery, and I really don't like it.  (I can't for the life of me imagine where someone would come up with that idea, can you?)  I have mats in the couple I use, and while it's better than bare wood, I still don't like it.  Maybe I have the wrong kind. 

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »

The mats that I am looking at are porous so that they drain.  I will be puting them over clay but the mat co. told me to level the stall with sand or gravel.  The mats are only 1/4" thick.  They are one peice and fasten to the side of the stall,

Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:50:49 AM »

How much do they cost, samstar?

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
fairgame

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »

What makes them porous?  If it is that they have tiny little holes I would be concerned that the wet bedding would embed in the holes and you wouldn't be able to clean that urine soaked bedding out, especially if you are using sawdust.  We have mats in our stalls but they are piecemeal and of course some have shifted so the bedding gets inbetween the seams.  So every day we end up pulling up mats to sweep ( yes we sweep the stalls free of all wet sawdust) between and under the seams to get it really clean and free of amonia from the urine. 

Also after time the horses (especially those shod) do put holes in the mats.  If it is all one mat the bedding will get in the hole and under the mat and you wouldn't be able to pull it up to clean it out so it doesn't get lumpy.

Those would be my thoughts
Flirty Flo
Flirtologist

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »

I have found that matting over clay is not a good thing...you will not have good drainage and your stalls will be a mess and you will use more bedding... the mat company is correct in telling you to level stalls with sand as this will help to pull urine down... I prefer to level my stalls with stone dust...it seems to pack better than sand and also draws well... ends up almost like cement. I also sweep my urine spot to clean up excess wet. my mats fit tight so There is no sliding and lifting. I like the idea of one pieceNo fitting to stall or slippage)...but think there wouldnt be proper drainage...as the urine could not slip through the seams as designed. I also am interested in what you mean by porous??? Fairgame is right with the little holes...I would also have concern about shoes getting stuck and causing injury. I have only had one expirence with a horse wearing a hole in a mat and that was with a stall walker...it only took her 6 months and she had a rut in the mat...but she walked continuiously...I have never had a 1/4 inch mat wear from daily use...
OMG...I hate wood floors! I have found them to hold in the urine, rot and cause great smell...and VERY slippery especially with straw.

samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »

Look Them up at stall savers
www.stall-savers.com
It is pretty well explained there.  I think I paid $200 for a 13X13 peice.  I said that my stalls are clay but they are actually a material called diamond mix. That is a mixture of clay and sand that is used on baseball diamonds.  It drains pretty well.     

Flirty Flo
Flirtologist

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:02:58 PM »

This looks like a great product! I like it...looks easy to handle and install...

fairgame

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »

While i was reading the site I kept thinking about how if the urine soaks through the porous material the amonia is going to build up and the fumes will come back up through.  Sure enough:

<i>Maintenance: For harsh ammonia buildup treat area with a disinfectant. (e.g. Pinesol and water) poured through the stall liner.[...] Also make sure you use plenty of bedding 8 to 9 inches to get the maximum life out of your liner.</i>

So they are aware there will be a buildup of amonia that cannot be disperesed by simply airing it out.  Then you need 8 to 9 inches of bedding to protect the durable mat, bedding  which then needs to be moved out of the way to use the disinfectant.

Then of course there are the horses that like to scatter their manure and/or hide it under the bedding.  Imagine sifting through 8-9 inches of bedding to get that manure, either very time consuming to save the bedding or expensive for those who do not have the time to be that meticulous.

It's the same old story.  Neat horses will do well on the mats and piggy horses will make it not worth the money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: