Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 06:00:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High rear suspensory tear  (Read 4061 times)
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »

How would you treat a hight suspensory tear?  Vet said it was a 20% tear. Horse appears
sound but leg blew up and ultrasound shows tear.
Report to moderator   Logged

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Brogan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »

1. blister
2. rest
3. pray
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »

1. blister
2. rest
3. pray
Stall rest?

casandra1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »

laser, infrared wraps, hand walk raise angle put an eggbar shoe while on stall rest. Enzymes in feed, and 10 cc of 200mg. phosporous every other day. Back off high protien feeds, feed more hay strechers and cubes so his system remains functioning properly. Sweet feeds are out. Use a basic 10 % feed without molasses.
speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »

I disagree with the "No Protein" diet.  To heel tendons and ligaments you must have proteins.  Carbohydrates do not heel anything.  Protein is the building block of putting the horse back together.  I would actually put egg protein on his food and crank up his protein intake gradually.  You will not hurt the horse.  He may stock up a bit but not too worry it will subside in due time.  I have done this many a time and have had wonderful results.  I also due this with young horses and "knock on wood" don't have tendon and ligament issues when training down.  Don't buy into the old myth of "Too much protein..BLAH BLAH BLAH"
King Nothing

Goodtimes

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »

Dr Riddle has a very good short term injection that if you take your time works very well. I had one i used to care for who had a hind tear and the injection plus walking for a few weeks then jogging back slowly worked very well. Never sore behind after that and raced another year and a half. Bowed up front because of epm issues and was retired. EPM can cause suspensory issues, especially up front imo. This horse had two suspensory tears in front before the rear and when not treated for epm, he would fall apart around the 3/4 pole. The loss of coordination at high speed causes unusual foot placement and thus injuries to ligaments and tendons. Not saying most are caused by this but at least some are.

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around

King Nothing
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »

I disagree with the "No Protein" diet.  To heel tendons and ligaments you must have proteins.  Carbohydrates do not heel anything.  Protein is the building block of putting the horse back together.  I would actually put egg protein on his food and crank up his protein intake gradually.  You will not hurt the horse.  He may stock up a bit but not too worry it will subside in due time.  I have done this many a time and have had wonderful results.  I also due this with young horses and "knock on wood" don't have tendon and ligament issues when training down.  Don't buy into the old myth of "Too much protein..BLAH BLAH BLAH"

She didn't say no protein, she said back off high protein.  While they need some protein to heal, too much will have them bouncing off the walls when they are supposed to be on stall rest.
speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »

Give them a little TQ paste then.  The protein won't hurt them!!!
casandra1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »

I will agree to disagree with you. Protien may help a carnivor heal quicker, but a herbevor requires less protien as it puts extra burden on the horses kidneys trying to flush excess protien particals out, hence the stocking up of legs. So the body is not in healing mode as it is flush toxins mode.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »

Casandra, I used ultrasound on him on sunday and brought him to the vet today to get him thumped.  He said that he ws very suprised at the progress made in a week.  Scheduled to thum again on next wednesday, will ultrasound friday and Monday. Wish me luck.

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:53:53 AM »

All you can really do is let it heal. It's not going to respond to treatment only to be stressed and damaged more. If it is high suspensory, just inject some cortisone in there and give it time to heal.Corleone cosmos had this problem and he's been down 7 months....just have to let it heal...(sorry redundant)

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:13 AM »

Casandra, I used ultrasound on him on sunday and brought him to the vet today to get him thumped.  He said that he ws very suprised at the progress made in a week.  Scheduled to thum again on next wednesday, will ultrasound friday and Monday. Wish me luck.
Please explain thumped.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »

Please explain thumped.

Probably the shock therapy.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »

Probably the shock therapy.

Sorry, Shock wave therapy is called thumping in the slang BECAUSE THE MACHINE MAKES A THUMPING SOUND AS THE ENERGY IS DELIVERED.

Flirty Flo
Flirtologist

I'd introduce myself but you already know who I am

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »

I agree with King....Dr Riddle...it is well worth the extra money you put into him...Supergrit had 2 hind suspensories...both riddled. I dont believe in injecting with cortisone in soft tissue...this just eats up any new tissue that is being made and it will worsen over time...cortisone is not a good drug it harms the immune system and deterers anything good. I do not belive in shock therepy ...this does not heal it... only masks the issue. They over exzert them selfs because of the numbness and you will have bigger issues in the end...JMO

melodyjordanracingstable.com "In it to win it"
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »

Gave the horse two weeks of stall rest, 3 weeks in the aquacisor and jogged for a week before turning him.  Vet says the ultrasound shows the horse ready to reace.  The shock wave seems to have helped alot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: