Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 22, 2014, 06:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What feed supplements to use?  (Read 1793 times)
speed shop

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »

What feed supplements does everyone like to use.  I used to use Macintosh but haven't in a while.  I had really good results with it and horses seem to love it.  Huh?Maybe I should go back to it?Huh?
Report to moderator   Logged
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »

I used to be a firm believer in drive.  I tried it recently but the horse I used it on was a tie up horse and the high protien in drive didn't help.  I use red cell, Tie Free and hemo-cease.  I don't know if any of them do any good. 

I am anxious to hear the results of any supplements you are trying.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
sparky

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »

Mega-sel is great for tie up horses or nervous horses.  On all I use red-cell or liquid 747 but the nervous ones get mega-sel.  It really does help with the tie up issues.
speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »

More than likely it's due to the selenium content in that product.  Selenium is good for tying up but must be used carefully because it can become toxic.  That is what killed those horses in Florida when they all got those shots and dropped.  It was from Selenium poisoning.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:36:14 AM »

More than likely it's due to the selenium content in that product.  Selenium is good for tying up but must be used carefully because it can become toxic.  That is what killed those horses in Florida when they all got those shots and dropped.  It was from Selenium poisoning.

That was a massive overdose with the Florida horses, they misread the directions.  Selenium content of feed varies geographically, so you should check your hay first before supplementing.
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:10:14 PM »

Good point, Janine.
Also watch out for vitamin E supplements, most of which contain selenium. If you have an EPM horse the vitamin E is good for the nervous system, but make sure it is plain vitamin E with no selenium.

We like liquid 747, Ultra Fire, thyroid powder when the blood dictates, XBL powder for bleeders seems to help.

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
oldschool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »

DAC supplements. I have no stock in the company but can't say enough good stuff about them. We have always used good products carrying the NASC label for quality and I carefully balanced diets based on labs,etc. but honestly really didn't see any difference in the way our horses performed. (Sort uv like voodoo medicine of giving one jug of fluid and electrolytes before a race ,takes at least 3 to hydrate a horse but once you start doing that you somehow feel compelled to continue...I asked one young vet if he could call it the voodoo jug and he laughed saying I wasn't off the mark that's for sure!!!). Anyway, we switched to DAC last summer and within a month saw dramatic differences. Horses went from just getting a check to winning, can't argue with that. Attitudes improved, labs improved, everything improved. The sales rep worked with us, sent feed labels to his lab to work out a plan for each horse with particular attention to the 2 mares who were on ReLeve due to tying up(selenium being the issue as mentioned in other posts). We use their line now exclusively and they do bear the NASC label.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »

horse
   Having worked with both harness and thoroughbred, I really like the Buckeye products you add to your regular oats.They are highly digestible,it puts an awesome coat on the horse, I never have feet troubles, and most important, horses with chronic tye-up problems seem to dramatically improve. No need to add anything else to it,its a complete supplement.
Punkie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »

I have absolutely no financial or ownership interest in this company ... but I can heartily recommend their equine line of products.  They are the MANUFACTURERS, not just distributors, and can save you money on their high quality products, produced in an FDA approved manufacturing facility!

http://www.uckele.com/

They have an informative free newsletter, an on staff person to answer nutrition questions, and you'll want their catalog, so just request it!  800-248-0330
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »

Rice bran

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: