Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 20, 2014, 06:59:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Won the $100,000 Handicapping Contest at Hawthorne?  (Read 1811 times)
DukeK2

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »

Can not find a listing anywhere on Hawthorne's website listing the $50,000 top winner and others for the $100,000 handicapping contest held earlier this month.  Was the money ever distributed?  How did Barn to Wire posters do?  You think they would want to publicise the fact that someone won $50k at Hawthorne.  Where is Scott McMannis when you need him?
Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »

Maybe if you spent a little more time poking around, instead of taking a cheap shot at Hawthorne and carrying around a woody for Scott M.??

http://www.hawthorneracecourse.com/frame.php?c=handicapping_contests&h=2ndSeries&f=/files/2ndseries.pdf

(It just wasn't that damn hard to find.)

Edit: repair broken link
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:02:31 PM by Horse Voice » Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »

I think that was just the 2nd qualifier?
DukeK2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »

Wow Horsevoice, I guess someone is a bit sensitive.  I guess I should have known that the 2nd Series tab meant "Contest Results".  My comment about McMannis wasn't a poke at all.  He used to write excellent stories about contest winners and I never saw anything about the winner on the site or in the programs.  Sorry I asked.  Whew!
Horse Voice

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:44:05 PM »

I guess I should have known that the 2nd Series tab meant "Contest Results".

Did you click on it? 

My comment about McMannis wasn't a poke at all.  He used to write excellent stories about contest winners and I never saw anything about the winner on the site or in the programs.

There was a story in the program last week, right on the front cover.

Your original post was snarky, pal. That will get you a snarky reply, every time -- so stop with the wounded tones.
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:59:38 PM »

Wow Horsevoice, I guess someone is a bit sensitive.  I guess I should have known that the 2nd Series tab meant "Contest Results".  My comment about McMannis wasn't a poke at all.  He used to write excellent stories about contest winners and I never saw anything about the winner on the site or in the programs.  Sorry I asked.  Whew!
you gotta remember don,t insult the big H V,,,,,some day he might wipe your ass the same way he wipes jim millers,scott m. and the carey clan,,,,,hahahahaha bowing bowing bowing bowing bowing chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken beer beer
Horse Voice

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:53:44 AM »

"servicetech" -- if you are one of the putzes that maintains the self-betting machines from Autotote (poorly) down at Hawthorne, that says everything. And if you are the one that is banging that nasty hag of a mutuel clerk, my god man, where is your self-respect?
DoctorLock

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »

Truth is there should have been a story about the winner of the $100,000 contest. Posting the results on the website hardly seems the best way to advertise a very unique contest, particularly the size of the grand prize.

Note: Is Hawthorne really giving away $100,000 on New Year's Day? With a scratch-and-win, no less? Sure hope they worked out a nice arrangement with a sponsor, otherwise this seems like a truly irresponsible gift considering the financial state of the industry. No joke, I'm absolutely dumbfounded if this money is coming directly out of Mr. Carey's pockets.

Wiser people, please explain.

Horse Voice

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »

Truth is there should have been a story about the winner of the $100,000 contest. Posting the results on the website hardly seems the best way to advertise a very unique contest, particularly the size of the grand prize.

There WAS a story about it -- they put it on the front cover of the track program last week. What more do you want? What more does Arlington do when someone wins a chunk like that up there?

Note: Is Hawthorne really giving away $100,000 on New Year's Day? With a scratch-and-win, no less? Sure hope they worked out a nice arrangement with a sponsor, otherwise this seems like a truly irresponsible gift considering the financial state of the industry. No joke, I'm absolutely dumbfounded if this money is coming directly out of Mr. Carey's pockets.

Yes, Hawthorne is giving away $100,000 on New Year's Day. First 2010 people admitted get a scratch-off ticket.

Who are you to categorize the giveaway as "irresponsible", when you freely admit that you have no idea where the money is coming from? The track has a marketing budget just like other tracks, and they have underwriters that help offset the potential loss from things like "guaranteed pick-4" pools of X size.

People on this forum *** and whine that the tracks don't do enough to attract new people to the track; then when a track finally does something substantial, they get criticized. Simply amazing.  doh
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »

"servicetech" -- if you are one of the putzes that maintains the self-betting machines from Autotote (poorly) down at Hawthorne, that says everything. And if you are the one that is banging that nasty hag of a mutuel clerk, my god man, where is your self-respect?
i wish i could maintain those self terminals at hawthorne,i,d have no choice but to throw them out and replace with something less than 10 years old,also and it looks like only one dude who maintains them all,and regarding the mutuel clerks.STILL LOOKING,IT,S A TOUGH DECISION,THEY ARE ALL SO UGLY,THE OLD HAGS AT THE BISTRO ON THE 2ND FLOOR ARE in the lead
DoctorLock

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 11:39:50 AM »

There WAS a story about it -- they put it on the front cover of the track program last week. What more do you want? What more does Arlington do when someone wins a chunk like that up there?

Yes, Hawthorne is giving away $100,000 on New Year's Day. First 2010 people admitted get a scratch-off ticket.

Who are you to categorize the giveaway as "irresponsible", when you freely admit that you have no idea where the money is coming from? The track has a marketing budget just like other tracks, and they have underwriters that help offset the potential loss from things like "guaranteed pick-4" pools of X size.

People on this forum *** and whine that the tracks don't do enough to attract new people to the track; then when a track finally does something substantial, they get criticized. Simply amazing.  doh

HV, you really think giving away that kind of money, a day before the meet ends, will attract new players. They'll pass through the turnstiles, and about-face...at least most of them. And sure, there's a marketing budget, but wouldn't that money be better served creating six-figure stake race, say a prep for the now Grade 3 Illinois Derby?

I'm not knocking any new ideas, but come on, I'm a Hawthorne fan, and this really reeks of bad business.

Again, just my opinion.

Horse Voice

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »

HV, you really think giving away that kind of money, a day before the meet ends, will attract new players. They'll pass through the turnstiles, and about-face...at least most of them. And sure, there's a marketing budget, but wouldn't that money be better served creating six-figure stake race, say a prep for the now Grade 3 Illinois Derby?

For what? So a sharp out-of-town horseman can swoop in with an invader and take the bulk of the purse -- never to be seen again?

Why is the answer always to give a bonus to the horsemen? And no one ever calls that bad business, yet we know from slot-fueled racing that is doesn't do squat to grow the game.

Sorry, we'll just have to disagree. I already know that your old school ways don't improve horse racing; let's see if Hawthorne's new scheme of things -- give it to the horseplayers -- does anything to shake things up.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »

i wish i could maintain those self terminals at Hawthorne,i,d have no choice but to throw them out and replace with something less than 10 years old,also and it looks like only one dude who maintains them all,and regarding the mutual clerks.STILL LOOKING,IT,S A TOUGH DECISION,THEY ARE ALL SO UGLY,THE OLD HAGS AT THE BISTRO ON THE 2ND FLOOR ARE in the lead

Gosh.  Such respect for women.  I hope no one like you ever gets a look at your grandmother.  Or even your mom!   How would you like someone to call one of them and old hag?
Horse Voice

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »

Gosh.  Such respect for women.  I hope no one like you ever gets a look at your grandmother.  Or even your mom!   How would you like someone to call one of them and old hag?

Actually, I was the first with the "hag" comment.

Objection noted, and I apologize. What's ironic is that the two ladies at the Italian Bistro on the 2nd floor (east end of the building) are two of the sweetest ladies in the whole place: older, Grandma type ladies, but well kept and certainly not deserving of negative description.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »

OK, apology accepted. You are a gentleman AND a scholar.   My apologies to servicetech.

There are women who look very frightening and I know what you are talking.  I kind of up and posted before I should have, really.  I'm not the monitor of this forum.   I should watch my mouth.  But I'm sensitive about the "old hag" thing because there is a woman who works at our deli in town and everyone calls her the "old hag" when she is really very sweet and has to work even though she's in her 80s.

I did think, horsevoice, that your words "have some dignity, were hilarious.

fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 05:03:11 PM »

Can not find a listing anywhere on Hawthorne's website listing the $50,000 top winner and others for the $100,000 handicapping contest held earlier this month.  Was the money ever distributed?  How did Barn to Wire posters do?  You think they would want to publicise the fact that someone won $50k at Hawthorne.  Where is Scott McMannis when you need him?

I'm a little confused ... if they paid out $76,500 in prize money, how was this a $100,000 contest?
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »

Arlington has Scott write a story about it....

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/blog/scottm

Maybe you should spend a little more time poking around  Wink
Horse Voice

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 05:59:56 PM »

Arlington has Scott write a story about it....

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/blog/scottm

Maybe you should spend a little more time poking around  Wink

You were in too much of a hurry to promote the "home" track there, Homer: I asked what more does Arlington do -- the obvious inference being that we know that they have the Professor or Zenner or someone else do a write-up on their contests, but somehow Hawthorne doing the same sort of write-up isn't enough.

(I swear, this forum's membership has all but lost their collective ability to read for comprehension. It's not that hard to s-l-o-w  d-o-w-n a little, people, and let the words sink in before firing back.)
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »

You were in too much of a hurry to promote the "home" track there, Homer: I asked what more does Arlington do -- the obvious inference being that we know that they have the Professor or Zenner or someone else do a write-up on their contests, but somehow Hawthorne doing the same sort of write-up isn't enough.

(I swear, this forum's membership has all but lost their collective ability to read for comprehension. It's not that hard to s-l-o-w  d-o-w-n a little, people, and let the words sink in before firing back.)

Someone's grumpy...

Sorry you didn't get the sarcasm.... the thread started by saying where is "Scott McMannis when you need him" so my post simply was saying that Arlington was doing more by having McMannis write the story ... toungue in cheek to first poster and teasing you by showing it was on the web and was easy to find as you did to the original poster.

Lighten up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: