Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 02:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grooms quarters  (Read 1159 times)
brenastabl

« on: December 07, 2009, 11:25:26 PM »

i feel that sleeping in barns speaks for its self,these men who died in their beds in a barn where there were signs posted stating no tack rooms in the barns speaks volumes , the trainers had to know these guys were in tack rooms ,for those who dont know what a tack room is ..its a room with a couple of outlets to plug a fridge into enough room for a bed,not enough room for anything else,grooms get this for FREE,thats what they get for working 7 days a week for lower than minimum wage.min wage is 7.25 an hour,so if they work from 6 am to 4 pm,thats 10 hours.
Report to moderator   Logged
ILHorseman65

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »

Ok dont go talking about crap that you dont know about. What you dont state is most of these guys want to work with these horses. Furthermore not many horsemen are working from 5am to 4 pm. Most trainers that start at 6 am are done on the track by 10 or at latest 11 and out of the barn by 1pm. Most all of us at one point or another have stayed in tack rooms. I did when I trained and stabled at Balmoral. I enjoyed being right in the barn with my horses. I didnt want to be anywhere else. I can speak for the one fellow but I knew Turtle he wasnt the type that complained about it he liked the simple life and loved being around the horses.  Please dont do starting saying things against trainers or anyone else concerning these tragedies its just not needed and its pretty sad actually to start talking about this. Its unfortunate what happen and very very sad but I guarantee if you gave turtle another place to live he still would have wanted to be in the barn. 
brenastabl

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:37:57 PM »

Ok dont go talking about crap that you dont know about. What you dont state is most of these guys want to work with these horses. Furthermore not many horsemen are working from 5am to 4 pm. Most trainers that start at 6 am are done on the track by 10 or at latest 11 and out of the barn by 1pm. Most all of us at one point or another have stayed in tack rooms. I did when I trained and stabled at Balmoral. I enjoyed being right in the barn with my horses. I didnt want to be anywhere else. I can speak for the one fellow but I knew Turtle he wasnt the type that complained about it he liked the simple life and loved being around the horses.  Please dont do starting saying things against trainers or anyone else concerning these tragedies its just not needed and its pretty sad actually to start talking about this. Its unfortunate what happen and very very sad but I guarantee if you gave turtle another place to live he still would have wanted to be in the barn. 

in most racetracks the tack rooms are outside of the barns,near enough where you walk out of the room to the barn or a short walk to the barn,maybe if turtle had a choice he would not have died.you cant speak for him .did he have a choice of where he lived?thats the question.
ILHorseman65

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:52:17 PM »

The tack rooms at Balmoral are all in the barns so do those people have a choice. Its free no rent thats what the attraction is for most of them. ALot of these guys are happy doing what they do and living how they live. You can say things like did he have a choice how do you know either way the reality is the tragedy is he is gone because of a fire.  So if he was staying in a tack room that was separate from a barn and it caught fire in the middle of the night what would your comment be then?  Its not like the horses caused the fire. Just stop with this its not appropriate in the least. 2 men were killed and 42 horses isnt that sad enough without adding to the grief?  No one can know why or what happened as far as why those 2 were living there.  I would assume thats the only place that there may have been at the time and most horsemen if there in that situation are just glad to have a room period. I know I have been int hose shoes and if I had a choice? in the barn with my horses or down the road somewhere in a different building Id rather be closer to the horses. But thats just me but I bet alot of people would be the same way. RIP both of you and all your companions I hope theyre all at peace now
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »

in most racetracks the tack rooms are outside of the barns,near enough where you walk out of the room to the barn or a short walk to the barn,maybe if turtle had a choice he would not have died.you cant speak for him .did he have a choice of where he lived?thats the question.

grandstand goof! beer

Sorry to steal a line from nance, but the shoe fits very well!
brenastabl

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »

The tack rooms at Balmoral are all in the barns so do those people have a choice. Its free no rent thats what the attraction is for most of them. ALot of these guys are happy doing what they do and living how they live. You can say things like did he have a choice how do you know either way the reality is the tragedy is he is gone because of a fire.  So if he was staying in a tack room that was separate from a barn and it caught fire in the middle of the night what would your comment be then?  Its not like the horses caused the fire. Just stop with this its not appropriate in the least. 2 men were killed and 42 horses isnt that sad enough without adding to the grief?  No one can know why or what happened as far as why those 2 were living there.  I would assume thats the only place that there may have been at the time and most horsemen if there in that situation are just glad to have a room period. I know I have been int hose shoes and if I had a choice? in the barn with my horses or down the road somewhere in a different building Id rather be closer to the horses. But thats just me but I bet alot of people would be the same way. RIP both of you and all your companions I hope theyre all at peace now

most grooms dont make enough to live off the track,so they live on the track,they do love their horses,if a groom lives on the track they spend most of their money eating in the racetrack kitchen and if they have a car they gotta pay gas,car payments ect.grooms at cheap tracks like the one that burned down make it from paycheck to paycheck, trainers knew their help was living in the barn ,(the room was set up with beds ect.),,why didnt they get tack rooms for the guys? trainers and owners dont live in the barn,why should grooms live like animals?
bigapple

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:22:48 AM »

First I must ad, I too am saddened by this tragedy.

A "tack room" is exactly that - a room for tack. Somehow they evolved into studio apartments with no plumbing.  To be techinical, the term that should be used is homeless.  Yes, the grooms are homeless if they are living in barns.  In our society there is subculture that actually prefer to be homeless.  Sad, but true.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:50:24 AM »

One question. Did the grooms die in their sleep or did they die trying to get the horses out? If they died trying to get the horses out then sleeping in a tack room had nothing to do with their death .

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
mo doc n

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »

One question. Did the grooms die in their sleep or did they die trying to get the horses out? If they died trying to get the horses out then sleeping in a tack room had nothing to do with their death .

They are not certain but one can only speculate they were sleeping there

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/horse_racing/wires/12/11/2080.ap.rac.barn.fire.tragedy.1475/
AmyHollar
FREE THE TROLLS!

I didn't fail gym. I just didn't try to damn hard

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »

The grooms were found in their beds.  They hopefully never knew what hit them.

It has not been officially released yet, but the fire did not start in either of the tack rooms where the men were staying.

Do you want cream with that cup of shut the hell up?
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »

The grooms were found in their beds.  They hopefully never knew what hit them.

Thanks Amy
Not exactly what I expected.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: