Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 01, 2014, 04:10:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lasix helps stop bleeding according to study  (Read 1822 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: December 06, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2009/December/06/Study-results-strengthen-Salix-standing-in-US-racing.aspx
Report to moderator   Logged
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »

Very interesting article Janine ... Thanks for posting it.  A comprehensive Salix study to confirm the efficacy of its anti-bleeding effectiveness.  I still don't understand how this study stops the controversy about the possible performance-enhancing effects (the opponents position).

Waterman also references the movement toward Plasma testing in the U.S. thumbs up
Dr. Tobin pushing for standardized withdrawl times (anabolic steriod examples given). thumbs up

The RMTC and HPBA study, analyze, argue and ultimately recommend what is right for Racing.  If only individual States would listen and adopt their recommendations!! 
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:57:52 AM »

I wonder if the makers of lasix paid for that study? Lasix is strictly a diuretic that cures nothing. It's main function is removing excess fluids and dialates the capillaries. Thats why it helps bleeders.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »

I wonder if the makers of lasix paid for that study? Lasix is strictly a diuretic that cures nothing. It's main function is removing excess fluids and dialates the capillaries. Thats why it helps bleeders.

Interesting question on who paid for the study Mel ... I might be able to get the answer to that one.  It is my understanding, however, that any study done with a statistically significant population, scientifically proven methods and results that are correlated with other published studies (with the same stringent guidelines) provides a baseline suitable for regulatory and medical purposes.  No matter who "funds" it.  It would be a smart move for Lasix (R) and all Salix manufacturers to have sponsored that study and get it on the "books" to protect their business. 
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »

S M....ask any vet if lasix "cures" bleeding....they will all tell you NO. Lasix is a "treatment"...nothing more. There are other "treatments" in conjunction with lasix, that help a ton, but none are "cures"....

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »

S M....ask any vet if lasix "cures" bleeding....they will all tell you NO. Lasix is a "treatment"...nothing more. There are other "treatments" in conjunction with lasix, that help a ton, but none are "cures"....

Hey Mel ... I agree 1000%.  The article was pretty clear about the "efficacy" of Lasix.  Personally, I hate the stuff.  Even its therapuetic use seems like it will be around awhile according to the study.  I was only curious about who paid for the study because of your previous post.  Those drug companies seem to have money up the wazoo!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: