Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 02, 2014, 05:28:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kentucky awards? More Information?  (Read 818 times)
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2006, 03:22:13 PM »

I was conversing with a partner from Kentucky today where we bring our broodmares to stay before being bred. They told me that kentucky is either in the process of or had just passed a new breeders award system where any foal that is listed as Kentucky foaled no matter where they race in the USA-they will receive a 15-20% breeders award from Kentucky. They only had limited knowledge of this.

Has anyone onsite here heard of this?
Report to moderator   Logged
edwarren

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:52:20 PM »

Yep, I've heard of it.
David

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 03:53:53 PM »

http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=31121
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 05:50:32 PM »

Thanks David.

It's a very interesting ruling. Unfortunately Illinois is still in the dark ages when it comes to the racetracks, breeders, farms and horsemen. I'll tell you why I say this:

We purchased 6 broodmares at the Keeneland November 2005 breeding stock sale. All are in foal to successful Kentucky stallions. By the time we had them inspected, immunized, and had an Illinois transport pick them up-it was the end of the month. We then found out that in Illinois the Department of Argiculture requires that they need the completed paperwork in hand before December 1st for our future foals to be considered Illinois foaled. I spoke with Kelly at the DoA. She apologied, but said we could ONLY make the foals Illinois registered if the mares were bred back to an Illinois stallion. Commercially..there aren't any good Illinois stallions. I mean-if we want to sell the babies from an Illinois stallion-we won't make hardly any profit(or could lose money). So all we could do was to send the mares back to Kentucky. Now that this law is passed-it gives us some relief. I only wish I had heard about this ruling before today.

We would of preferred to get them Illinois registered and race them here so that we could hopefully win some of the breeders award money, and at the same time bring 6 more horses into the Illinois program to race. Now that kentucky passed this legislation we can race here. Unfortunately it's Kentucky - not Illinois that's helping this Illinois Racing stable.
David

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 06:34:13 PM »

The logic is pretty sound for the breed back rule, I know California has a similar rule, if the state  is going to subsidize and/or create incentives for state bred horses (either directly or through the allocation of the purses)- they should get the most economic impact for the state - and that leads to not allowing horses to come here just to foal and then return other places until the next year. I know in your situation it seems like b.s., but the reason for the state bred incentive program is to stimulate the horse acgribusiness and that is why you end up with such rulings.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 07:47:36 PM »

Yup. I understand it, but as a new breeder who has first foals expected in 2006 it just doen't make complete sense. We have really engrossed ourselves (my wife and I) in learning all we can regarding bloodlines. There are very very few Illinois stallions that have produced any multi-hundred thousand dollar winners. I don't know if there are any of over 1million.
In the future we will get our broodmares in state early enough for them to be Illinois foaled, but I would think that Illinois would be better off for the agribusiness if they would relax that rule, because more horseman living in Illinois would probably bring in several more hundred late broodmares per year if they could get the foals permitted to the Illinois awards incentive. I may be wrong, but we would certainly do it for our stable.
We have 2 mares in foal to Alaskan Frost, and 2 more that have been in state sinse last fall that are Illinois registered, but in foal to Kentucky horses.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:31:23 PM »

Yup. I understand it, but as a new breeder who has first foals expected in 2006 it just doen't make complete sense. We have really engrossed ourselves (my wife and I) in learning all we can regarding bloodlines. There are very very few Illinois stallions that have produced any multi-hundred thousand dollar winners. I don't know if there are any of over 1million.
In the future we will get our broodmares in state early enough for them to be Illinois foaled, but I would think that Illinois would be better off for the agribusiness if they would relax that rule, because more horseman living in Illinois would probably bring in several more hundred late broodmares per year if they could get the foals permitted to the Illinois awards incentive. I may be wrong, but we would certainly do it for our stable.
We have 2 mares in foal to Alaskan Frost, and 2 more that have been in state sinse last fall that are Illinois registered, but in foal to Kentucky horses.

I believe the idea is to make sure Illinois farms are getting the benefit of the Illinois breeding program incentives. You have to keep your mare in the State for a certain length of time and the Illinois farms get your monthly board fees, Illinois feedmen and vets get their business, etc. I don't know if it does the state or the state racing program any good to just bring in 300 mares on January 31 so they can foal "Illinois-bred". What's the advantage of simply having more horses labelled Illinois bred?
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:44:40 PM »

I'm only speaking for myself and my wife. Ideally if we could buy broodmares towards the end of a year that are in foal to good Kentucky stallions. WE (I say we) would keep them in Illinois all year and into the next year when the foal would be born. Or we would take the mare at the end of the next year to be sold in the November breeding stock sale, but either way-we want to have our foals (if we keep them) to be Illinois foaled.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 10:52:34 PM »

I'm only speaking for myself and my wife. Ideally if we could buy broodmares towards the end of a year that are in foal to good Kentucky stallions. WE (I say we) would keep them in Illinois all year and into the next year when the foal would be born. Or we would take the mare at the end of the next year to be sold in the November breeding stock sale, but either way-we want to have our foals (if we keep them) to be Illinois foaled.

Unfortunate that particular bloodstock sale happens so close to the December 1 deadline, but rules is rules for some reason. Would it make a difference if the deadline was December 15? But geez, then you could bring in a mare, have her here 17 days to foal on January 1st or 2nd, and ship out as soon as the foal is ready, and voila! your horse is eligible for Illinois gold while you haven't really supported the Illinois agriculture industry a bit. Maybe the rule should be "some x number of months before the mare is due", or something. Get involved in the ITBOF, and try to get the law changed if you have a good enough case.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 10:56:13 PM »

I've already talked with several people at the Dept of Agriculture.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 11:00:55 PM »

I've already talked with several people at the Dept of Agriculture.

They're just state employees. The ITBOF is the power behind the scenes as to things like laws about when mares have to be in the state and breed back rules and such. They represent the farm owners and Illinois stallion owners.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 11:04:12 PM »

I'll talk to Sharon (a real nice lady) on the backside to find who to talk to, and how to get involved. TY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: