Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 09:06:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satruday Messing around  (Read 593 times)
wilderness

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:44:37 AM »

Name Horse??
Horse and Sep Palin.
Horse not know with Sep Palin as driver. Was very well known with another driver.
Was a 30-1 upset winner at Lexington as a 3YO with Palin in the bike, over the 1-5 LBJ winner that year.

Name driver??
 His Siskiyou (horse) and trainer-driver.
 Not sure if the horse was owned by Henry Knauf who had a farm of the same name.

Name Location.
Facility still races today. No idea if it looks the same, kinda doubt it.

Name location
 I've no idea to the answer to this one, was hoping for some help.
 (Sorta looks like Jackson Raceway, however I kinda doubt it.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:29:52 PM by wilderness » Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »

Man these are all to tough, but for a driver of His Siskiyou I will go with Buddy Thomas.
Report to moderator   Logged

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »

Name Horse?? Horse and Sep Palin.
mysT01.jpg

I provided some inaccurate information in the question.
My apologies.

Sep Palin is the driver of Guinea Gold in the photo, however it was Doc Parshall who drove Guinea Gold in 1948 when he upset Knight Dream in both heats at Lexington.
Paul Hungerford was the regular driver of Guinea Gold, for more than a few years. Harry Fitzpatrick on some occassions.

Two different excerpts regarding Guinea Gold and 1948:
Training in Florida, Guinea Gold became a sensation among the horsemen and great things were predicted for his three-year-old form. He opened the season at Santa Anita but after racing through April and May without any victories, but several seconds, he was shipped back to Shelbyville for a rest. On August 12th he showed up on the hometown track and driven by Murel Walters he at last cracked victory lane by winning the 13 Pace in straight heats, the fastest being 2:074/5.
 Two weeks later he started again and finished 4-2 to Johnnie Abbe and Little Judy in the free-for-all pace before winning the third heat in 2:063/5. The following week he again tackled the free-for-allers, this time at Indianapolis, and he had a 4-4-3 finish to Little Judy in 2:002/5, 2:02 and 2:013/5. Next came the $47,528 Little Brown Jug and here Guinea Gold was 5-4 to Knight Dream in the Delaware classic.
 Finally came October 1st and one of the sport's greatest upsets. Dr. H. M. Parshall, who had continuously maintained that Guinea Gold had the "makings" of a champion, gladly consented to catch-drive the colt in the $5,000 Three-Year-Old Pace. The rest is history with Guinea Gold and Parshall roaring from behind each heat to defeat both Knight Dream and Friscoway in identical heats of 2:02. The summaries of this race show that in each heat the last half was under 59 seconds with the final quarter in 29 seconds. It was a great evening for Parshall that night as he stood in front of the Lafayette Hotel more than willing to tell one and all about the race.

Another example of Parshall's keen judgment came at Lexington the next year when Paul Hungerford asked him to drive Guinea Gold against the unbeatable Knight Dream in the Popular Hill Stake. Parshall had brazenly stated that he'd whip any three-year-old pacer in the country if he drove Guinea Gold and Hungerford and his father, who had long respected Parshall's ability, decided to take him up on his boast.
 Of course, this was nonsense. While everyone acknowledged Guinea Gold's class, nobody was going to beat Knight Dream. Fresh from his victory in the Little Brown Jug, Knight Dream had whirled through his engagements like General Sherman marching to the sea. Accordingly, he was backed down to 1-5 by the informed bettors at Lexington while Guinea Gold went away as a 30-1 risk.
 In an upset to rival Truman's election over Dewey a month later, Guinea Gold stunned Knight Dream in the initial heat and, just to prove he could do it again, Parshall guided the chestnut colt home first in the second heat. It was an upset that would buzz around the barns for years.

Name driver?? His Siskiyou (horse) and trainer-driver.
/mysT02.jpg

Denny Moore raced many tracks in the 40's and 50's. Unfortuantely I'm absent any bio or detailed information on the man.

Name Location. Facility still races today
/mysT03.jpg

Sonoma County Fair at Santa Rosa,  Calif. Photo was from 1948.

Regards Don
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »

Man these are all to tough, but for a driver of His Siskiyou I will go with Buddy Thomas.
For what little it is no doubt worth here is how I come up with a guess of Buddy Thomas.

I looked His Siskiyou up in the 1947 USTA year book. It showed he raced only once as a two year old in 1947.
That was on Aug 13 at Butler PA. in the class 18 trot for a purse of $400.  He didn't get a check and it didn't show a driver, but Buddy Thomas won the class 23 trot in three straight heats with Josedale Counsel. So I guessed that good old Buddy had more then one trotter at Butler.

As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »

Many thanks looking.

I've provided some extensive materials on Henry Knauf and Siskiyou on the Hoosier forum

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

BTW looking.

My 1947 data rather sparse, however I've five references to Josedale Counsel (none to Buddy Thomas), all of which were in the east (Harrington, Rosecroft and Laurel). Four were with Johnny Mallalieu as driver, and one with Dr. G. Bache Gill as driver.

Regards Don
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »

Many thanks looking.

I've provided some extensive materials on Henry Knauf and Siskiyou on the Hoosier forum
Thanks Wilderness,
I didn't know there was a Hoosier forum.
Surprize Surprize I hadn't read long before reading about their posts being copied on ***.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: