Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 22, 2014, 05:19:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flipping Palate  (Read 1622 times)
lcaa56

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »

What are your thoughts on a 2 year old that flips his palate?
Report to moderator   Logged
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »

Starting with the basics in order to help .... do you know "when" he's flipping his palate (during a scope, when he's grabbing on, when he's nervous, etc.)  Could be a million things.  Does he weez, what kind of noise, has the horse raced, does this occur when training only, does it start at a certain speed/stress level, etc.?  Sorry ... pretty open-ended question.
lcaa56

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »

Never raced.  Started making a noise like a pig the first day we ever hooked him.  Had him scoped the next week and he was flipping his palate.  Did go on with him and trained him in 28 the first of May.  Used a cornell collar on him to get him that far.  But sometimes he would still stop, I mean literally come to a walk.  Started back with him the third week of Sept and he jogged great with no noise just a figure 8 on him.  Trained great the first few times and trained him today and he came to a walk, but the weird thing is he did not make any noises today or since he has been back in training.  Also, today was the first time he has been grabbing on , but I did not think I took that much of hold of him.  I do not know if I am wasting my time or should keep going on, he does act like he can trot a little but it is a long time until race time.  All advice is welcome.
brenastabl

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:49:54 PM »

Never raced.  Started making a noise like a pig the first day we ever hooked him.  Had him scoped the next week and he was flipping his palate.  Did go on with him and trained him in 28 the first of May.  Used a cornell collar on him to get him that far.  But sometimes he would still stop, I mean literally come to a walk.  Started back with him the third week of Sept and he jogged great with no noise just a figure 8 on him.  Trained great the first few times and trained him today and he came to a walk, but the weird thing is he did not make any noises today or since he has been back in training.  Also, today was the first time he has been grabbing on , but I did not think I took that much of hold of him.  I do not know if I am wasting my time or should keep going on, he does act like he can trot a little but it is a long time until race time.  All advice is welcome.

could be several factors,was it colder when you trained or jogged and he didnt make noise,could be he needs throat surgery to reduce his flapper. dr.Llewellyn is the best at this its simple and works,could also be an inflammation issue due to dust in the barn,dry air,try a nebulizer ,changing the hay might help.or rinse the hay in cold water before serving and when its done eating remove it and give cubes.
brenastabl

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »

now that its cooler weather he can breath,,,take the figure 8 off him because it presses up against the nasal cavity's,and he grabs on because he is trying to breath through his nose,not his mouth,and you do not want him to breath that way..free him up,take the figure 8 off him and try a simple snaffle and see what happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: