Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 11:26:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tying Up  (Read 2805 times)
pork

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »

Tying up: What to use to prevent. Any "sure cures" ?  pork
Report to moderator   Logged
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:08:20 AM »

High fat feed such as Horsemans edge 10-10 or Race Ready
Add 2 ounces of corn oil too each feed
Exercise horse daily few days off and if day off jog slowly to warm up
Try to keep horse calm on race day or training day.  Put equipment on just before  going out etc.
Check the horses feet.  Sore footed horses are very apt to tie up.  I have had great luck in injecting coffins of tie up horses.
You might try using Tie-Free.  I use it regularly on a Tie-up horse but I am not sure if it does any good.

Tying up is a cycle and you have to break the cycle.  The horse can become fearful of the pain and tie up as a result of the fear. 

You can train on Robaxin, but it will cause a positive test if administered close to race time (check with your vet)

CHECK THE FEET. ANY PULSE?
HOOFTESTER SENTSITIVE?

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »

Always realize horses are meant to move. Jog them everyday and let the muscles "wash" themselves as they will naturally. Keep the proteins down to what you need. Excess protein causes the excess energy and nervousness that goes with tying up. The Krebs cycle works wonders if you just let it.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
pork

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:23:26 AM »

Thanks for info. Suspect liver function abnormality has something to do with the process and propensity to tie up but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.  Pork
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:13:35 PM »

I forgot to add that a DMSO jug two days prior to racing or training will also help a tie up horse.
There is really a full arsenal of weapons to use for this malady.

DON'T FORGET THE FEET!

Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »

Slightly related ... I'm filling out insurance forms for 2010 and recording health history.  I've just learned my husband has been tying up for the last year without treatment.  His SGOT is way above normal!!  Guess we need to concentrate a little more on the two-legged beasts.  LOL.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »

Slightly related ... I'm filling out insurance forms for 2010 and recording health history.  I've just learned my husband has been tying up for the last year without treatment.  His SGOT is way above normal!!  Guess we need to concentrate a little more on the two-legged beasts.  LOL.
Do you mean tying up like cuffs and restraints? lol?

mo doc n

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »

I thought you wrote breasts at first not beasts ........... my mind is in the gutter ..........eh? head shake
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »

Samstar and Mo Doc ... to both of your posts:

My hubby's response to this situation was that if there were more cuffs, restraints and breasts then he wouldn't be so tied up.  And I just thought he wanted a trotter.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »

Samstar and Mo Doc ... to both of your posts:

My hubby's response to this situation was that if there were more cuffs, restraints and breasts then he wouldn't be so tied up.  And I just thought he wanted a trotter.
Thank your husband for his witticism, happy thanksgiving.

Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

Thank your husband for his witticism, happy thanksgiving.

Will do.  Happy T-Day to you and yours as well.
speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:23:56 PM »

Tripart 10ml day before race and 10ml day of race along with 10ml Lactanase day before race and 10ml day of race.  They won't tie up with this. 
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »

Tri Part pretty expensive from Australia?

speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:29:18 AM »

It's not bad.  It's like 40-45 a bottle where I get it from.  If it works I don't mind the cost.
sparky

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »

One of our horses use to tie up all the time including at the starting gate.  Nothing worked except ESE powder.  Relatively inexpensive from your vet.  And have never had a tie up problem again.  I tried all the "shots".. additives...and everyones suggestions, but the was the ONLY thing that helped.    Good luck....
speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »

I just tried a new product called Kynoselen.  Worked well but I was told you have to be careful with it because it can get you a positive.  Does anyone know the withdraw time in Canada with this?
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »

What is in it to give you a positive?

speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »

heptaminol
Flirty Flo
Flirtologist

I'd introduce myself but you already know who I am

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »

New Bolton did a study on tying up some years back...they came to the conclusion that horses tie up do to much sugar in the spleen...there study showed that after 15 minutes of excersise the spleen would dump this sugar and the lactic acid build up in the muscles. horseman through the years thought that the remedy to this tying up was to feed a lower fat lower protien feed routine...take everything away...this sudy show this to be untrue and unfounded...actually worse for the horse as the body had to feed off of fat the body had , they drank less causing dehydration and caused more muscle fatique. Ending result of study was this...feed a high fat high protien feed...I use ledgends 12% texurized and I add a 20%-30% high fat supplement called rice bran ( comes pelleted,crumbled, oil or powdered) I have found that they eat the pellets, crumbles and powdered. Not the oil. Feed a nice mixed hay...and I give a flake of alfafa daily...this makes them drink better...watch water intake. For excersise they suggest walking your horse may it be turned out, on machine, in hand or in harness hooked to cart so to let the spleen dump excess sugar and lactic acid before starting or resuming excersise...( that is why some horseman double jog on a monday or after a lay off or a few days off)....yes some horse do tie up from pain but most come from over exzurtion and bad feed programs...I have been following this program and have had good success and VERY limited tie up...

melodyjordanracingstable.com "In it to win it"
oldschool

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »

agree with Flirty. It's metabolic rhabdo (muscle wasting from a metabolic problem, a process that releases large loads of lactic acid, damaging liver and kidneys as well as more muscle) and diet affects it very much. Our mares that tie up are now on Re-Leve grain(very low carb, high fat, high protein) and rice bran. No supplements with that as the product is carefully balenced but we do use Succeed and omeprozole as well and as needed before and after racing (check pull out times).
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »

We've had three tie-up horses.

Try Chrymotripsin ten hours out then another round three days after.

Every four days when they aren't getting in every week.

We use it theraputically continuous loop in conjuction with the best feeding practices we can put together.

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: