Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 12:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Tear Duct -- Ideas to Solve Naturally  (Read 1963 times)
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:32:19 AM »

I am interested in any suggestions on how to stop a constantly running tear duct naturally (without the flushing).  Does anyone know of any supplements and/or drops that can be used.  The afflicted horse is very particular about having her head held firmly for any amount of time.  Cross ties, she's fine.  Putting gear on, she's fine. 

I've heard of the "flushing" but never seen it done.  It may be a last resort but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions we could try first.  Help if you can.
Report to moderator   Logged
Punkie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:47:03 AM »

In Great Britain, where homeopathy is used extensively on horses (particularly thoroughbreds), this would most likely be treated with "euphrasia, 6c" if there is profuse tearing, "Mercurious Sol, 30c" if the discharge becomes pus like, or any of several other low cost natural homeopathic remedies depending on the exact full symptoms.

I have immediate access to many equine homeopathic reference books and will gladly pass on the recommended treatment if you care to more completely describe the condition.

You can simply use google to find suppliers after you see the treatments. Worth a try, in my opinion.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:57:42 AM »

In Great Britain, where homeopathy is used extensively on horses (particularly thoroughbreds), this would most likely be treated with "euphrasia, 6c" if there is profuse tearing, "Mercurious Sol, 30c" if the discharge becomes pus like, or any of several other low cost natural homeopathic remedies depending on the exact full symptoms.

I have immediate access to many equine homeopathic reference books and will gladly pass on the recommended treatment if you care to more completely describe the condition.

You can simply use google to find suppliers after you see the treatments. Worth a try, in my opinion.

Thanks so much for posting and pointing me in a direction.  For approximately a year, one eye drains slightly but constantly.  Noted by wet/darkened stream down the nose.  To look directly at the eye, you don't see "welling" like when a person starts to cry or has a foreign object in the eye.

Only occasionally is it a bit crusty.  The crusty state seems to occur because of dust (whatever) setting in the draining area -- and doesn't seem to be coming out of the eye yellow or ***-like.  This is not my horse but a friends that does not blog or use the internet.  Just trying to help.  This is shame too because the horse is beautiful and it doesn't seem to bother her.  She just looks sad all the time!
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »

is there a allergy problem,,,for human consumption,,generic sudafed non drowsy,,but for horses can,t say what to give,now is there something that a horse could take that won,t harm him ,,for alergy,s,,,,and 2nd thing can the eye be flushed out to eliminate any forien objects,,like dust,,,,
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:32:09 PM »

I've heard of the "flushing" but never seen it done.  It may be a last resort but was wondering if anyone had other suggestions we could try first.  Help if you can.
Flushing a tear duct is a very easy job. I have done it several times myself, but I suggest a vet for the first time.  A syringe with a soft small  rubber end is inserted in the little tear drain inside the nostril and warm water or mineral oil is forced up the tear duct till it comes out the eye.
No pain No strain 

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

Flushing a tear duct is a very easy job. I have done it several times myself, but I suggest a vet for the first time.  A syringe with a soft small  rubber end is inserted in the little tear drain inside the nostril and warm water or mineral oil is forced up the tear duct till it comes out the eye.
No pain No strain 
I think this is spot on.  Let the vet do it. Pretty easy fix.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
casandra1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »

I am a Homeopathic and I can tell you, get the tear duct flushed first with a saline solution. This is as natural as you can get. Then you may go to homeopathics, mainly hepar sulf. But get her flushed.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »

Thanks everyone, these are really great suggestions and it seems that the flushing is inevitable.

I'm going to look into potential allergans too, no obvious signs other than the tearing but you can't be too sure.

Now, who wants to come hold her head with me?   dude
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »

Thanks everyone, these are really great suggestions and it seems that the flushing is inevitable.

I'm going to look into potential allergans too, no obvious signs other than the tearing but you can't be too sure.

Now, who wants to come hold her head with me?   dude
A little TQ, a twitch, and wham bam thank you mam its over , and you will  say. "Why didn't we do this earlier".

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »

A little TQ, a twitch, and wham bam thank you mam its over , and you will  say. "Why didn't we do this earlier".

Forget the TQ ... ain't happening.  She's wise and good to boot.  I'll post later about this and I know you're probably right, it is a little thing that seems huge at the time..  I'll report back.  Thanks, remember ... the horse is just a friend so I have ZERO real control.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »

The plan that Lookin In suggested was executed.  Took some patience and a couple handlers.  Done.  "Why didn't we do this earlier" everyone said. 

Thanks all.  No more sad eyes on this one !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: