Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 22, 2014, 02:39:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: omeprazole  (Read 8021 times)
threegoodlegsst

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 04:33:08 PM »

Okay so maybe none of you had problems with omeprazole but I am willing to sit down and listen to the answer.  Our horse came home three months ago and was in extremely poor shape. Much worse than he had ever been.  He had been on omeprazole daily for a good amount of time and I really believe it had to do with his condition.  Listen to the medication ads on tv and the radio and all the warnings at the end. 
He has FINALLY come around to doing better and running and playing with his buddies. 
I will definitely avoid omeprazole in the future. If their stomach for whatever reason won't take to racing then they will not race.
Report to moderator   Logged
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »

I haven't had a problem but I am certainly interested in any side effects. Keep me posted. I give it daily to my best horse.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »

Came across a really good article in the January 2011 issue of Horse Illustrated about gastric ulcers.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
BabyFireFly

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

I saw that - talks alot about bacterial ulcers I believe.

Had a very ill horse that lived on stomach medicine for years, when he got sick he was put on heavy duty antibiotics and since the stomach medicine conflicted with the medications he was taken off of all stomach meds. After two months on the antibiotics I was sure his stomach would be shot, but his eating was better than ever after having the treatment - licking his bowl and yelling for more. Sadly the illness came back ten fold and we just lost him on Friday - so we won't ever have the chance to run a scope to see if the antibiotics contributed to the healing of the ulcers.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 02:12:56 PM »

According to the article: Horses have 2 different types of stomach lining.The lower portion is lined with glandular mucosa which is well protected from the acid.  The upper two-thirds is vulnerable to acid. This is usually where ulcers occur.
  When the stomach has food in it, the forage absorbs the acid and keeps it from splashing around. A horse exercising on an empty stomach causes the acid to splash up onto the vulnerable lining.
  The only FDA approved treatment for horses is omeprazole, sold under the brand name Gastrogard and Ulcergard. Gastrogard is higher dose and used to treat an existing ulcer. Ulcergard is lower dose and used to prevent ulcers. Gastrogard is designed to be administered for up to 28 days and has a 92% success rate. The real challenge is to make management changes so the ulcers don't return... or occur in the first place.
  According to studies, feeding alfalfa hay helps to buffer stomach acid. The high calcium content is believed to be the secret ingredient.  Alfalfa cubes/pellets and beet pulp work also. It's recommended to feed a small amount, about 2 lbs, ONE HALF HOUR before exercise. Apparently the timing is important so the forage has time to reach the stomach.
  UlcerGard is not intended for day after day administration but can be useful in situations where you anticipate increased stress. 

10 Anti Ulcer Strategies recommended:
1. Allow free choice access to pasture or hay. Try to keep some forage in the stomach at all times.
2. Make feed changes gradually to allow bacteria in hindgut time to adapt.
3. Feed small meals often. Four feedings at regular intervals optimum.
4. Avoid oral electrolytes.
5. Provide as much turn-out time as possible to reduce stress.
6. Reduce the amount of grain. Fiber preferable to carbs.
7. Oats better than corn or barley.
8. Avoid NSAIDs, bute and banamine. Especially give one OR the other, not both at the same time.
9. Acidic dietary supplements such as apple cider vinegar should be avoided.
10. Try to slow your horses grain intake. If your horse bolts his feed, mix grain with beet pulp or put smooth rocks in the feed tub. The idea is to increase saliva which helps buffer acids.

In the future, it may be possible to diagnose an ulcer by analyzing sucrose levels in blood and urine. Right now the only way to definitely diagnose is by gastroscopy.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »

BFF did he have the hpylori bacteria?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: