Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 06:19:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to use for EPM?  (Read 3684 times)
speed shop

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »

What's the best thing to use for EPM?  Baycox, Marquis, Toltrazuril, or DMSO?  What type of treatment works the best and what's the cost going to be?
Report to moderator   Logged
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:41:25 PM »

First of all, how did you diagnose the EPM?  There are many horses that are diagnosed that don't have EPM ..  It is a catch all for any lameness that a vet can't diagnose.  If you are certain that you have EPM you probably should try marquis. The only sure diagnosis is a spinal tap.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »

Marquis in a drench originally is probably best, followed by a daily dose of the paste ....ask your vet. Epm is often over diagnosed but the usual signs we used to see arent really as clear. I just got done working with a big strong built gelding trotter who tested positive, and there werent any of the "usual" signs.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »

Marquis in a drench originally is probably best, followed by a daily dose of the paste ....ask your vet. Epm is often over diagnosed but the usual signs we used to see arent really as clear. I just got done working with a big strong built gelding trotter who tested positive, and there werent any of the "usual" signs.

was the positive test from blood or from spinal fluid?

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:58:34 PM »

Spinal I think. I'll ask next xhance I get. They said they usually can t be sure, and this time they were 100% sure. I'll findout.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »

A spinal tap will never show a false positive.  According to Ohio states it is 100%  accurate.  A blood test will show positive if the horse has been exposed to the parasite even if it does not have EPM.  It is a terrible disease. If you had the  spinal tap and it showed positive, get to work.  Start with Marquis, come back with baycox and throw the  kitchen sink at it.
There had to be some signs for you to test the gelding.  The usual signs are asymetric unexplained lameness on one side, normally the back. 
I had a horse that had EPM and he was diagnosed with a bone chip.  I was to stall rest him for two weeks.  At the end of the two weeks he stumbled out of the stall unable to stand on his left rear.  I treated him with Marquis, baycox and the sulpha med and was able to get him sound enough to jog 5 miles a day behind a truck.  We then saddled him and gave him away as a riding horse.  He will never be able to race but it looks like he will be a useful pleasure horse. Real EPM is a nasty disease. Good luck!

speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »

All good advice.  I have never had much luck with Marquis.  I like Navigator if you can use it but more often than not Baycox works well.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »

All good advice.  I have never had much luck with Marquis.  I like Navigator if you can use it but more often than not Baycox works well.
Is navigator dangerous?

speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 12:31:28 AM »

Can be very dangerous
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »

Similar to Samstar, I've heard Marquis is the best though we've never used it.  Only thing we've tried is that feed supplement that some Feed Supplies carry (I think it was called Detox) -- like $75/Bag.  Can use while racing and had some improvement.  Also similar to the above posts, I understand the spinal test is the only conclusive diagnosis. 

I've witnessed the old farmers test of letting the horse walk and tugging their tail gently to one side then the other while watching the horse's hips (for a delayed reaction).  Or ... having the horse stand in crossties and lifting on back hoof and crossing it in front of the back foot tipied-towed.  If they leave the tipied-towed foot there, suspicious for EPM.  Natural tendency is for the horse to replace their foot immediately.  Lack of response indicates a densitivity to back-end balance. (think I got that right)
mo doc n

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »

What's the best thing to use for EPM?  Baycox, Marquis, Toltrazuril, or DMSO?  What type of treatment works the best and what's the cost going to be?

speed,

We just tried Paranex-R from Heartland Vet supply (non prescription) for EPM and it seems to do real well
The cost is $129.00 for a 15 day treatment and less if you buy 2.

We also purchased some Vaxamine for our dog and it's made a significant difference in his overall attitude
and helped his arthritis.

I have been very pleased with all the results and products purchased from here.
The shipping isn't bad either it's usuall 2-3 business days (based in Nebraska)  

http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »

speed,

We just tried Paranex-R from Heartland Vet supply (non prescription) for EPM and it seems to do real well
The cost is $129.00 for a 15 day treatment and less if you buy 2.

We also purchased some Vaxamine for our dog and it's made a significant difference in his overall attitude
and helped his arthritis.

I have been very pleased with all the results and products purchased from here.
The shipping isn't bad either it's usuall 2-3 business days (based in Nebraska)  

http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/

Mo Doc ...  I know your response was to speed and about horses ... but thanks so much for the tip about dogs.  Gonna try the Vaxamine for my aging, arithitic Beagle.  He's already on a bronchial dialater and the Vexamine just might get him ready "to drop in the box".  Tx.   thumbs up
mo doc n

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

Mo Doc ...  I know your response was to speed and about horses ... but thanks so much for the tip about dogs.  Gonna try the Vaxamine for my aging, arithitic Beagle.  He's already on a bronchial dialater and the Vexamine just might get him ready "to drop in the box".  Tx.   thumbs up

No problem SM

All the non script stuff they sell seems to work real well.
He has been great on walks and he doesn't hurt/whimper just getting up now.
He was always one for "have the owner chase me" and he's doing this again
We're on our second bottle at 1 a day and I'm very impressed  thumbs up

He won't beat Greyhounds but he can still herd the cats  Grin
speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »

I'm really liking the Baycox now that I started using it more frequently.  I found a source that it's relatively inexpensive. 
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »

How about linking us to the source? Thanks

speed shop

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 12:27:14 AM »

buytoltrazuril.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: