Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 01, 2014, 06:14:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold Laser Therapy  (Read 3033 times)
Old and Slow

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:39:37 AM »

We recently bought a small cold laser. Supposed to promote healing and relieve muscle soreness.

In the short time we've had it, it seems to have some benefit.

Anybody have experience with it?
Report to moderator   Logged

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »

I don't understand where the energy needed for healing comes from.  It just looks like a red light to me.  I know a lot of guys used to use them but I don't know anyone who is using one now except you.   I am interested in what specific results you expect and get. I was debating between a cold laser and an ultrasound machine fifteen years ago and I bought the ultrasound because physical therapists use ultrasound and I never saw a P/T use a laser,

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:51:36 AM »

I've had experience with the thermal imaging to identify "hot spots" and knew that Laser therapy was an alternative to using NSAIDs.  As well-known, reducing inflammation and increasing circulation, joint pressure/pain is relieved and blood flow can promote tissue repair.  How cold lasers did this specifically, required some look-up:

Photobiomodulation, also known as low level laser therapy (LLLT), cold laser therapy, and laser biostimulation, is an emerging medical and veterinary technique in which exposure to low-level laser light can stimulate or inhibit cellular function leading to beneficial clinical effects.[1] The technique is also known by the more ambiguous terms phototherapy and laser therapy, which may also be used to describe other medical techniques. The "best" combination of wavelength, intensity, duration and treatment interval is complex and sometimes controversial with different diseases, injuries and dysfunctions needing different treatment parameters and techniques. These are still being explored and increasingly published by the academic community.

These devices range in price and intensity and the more powerful (for deep tissue) are the most costly.  Quite an investment Old and Slow.  I'm glad you're getting good results and it seems that any alternative to drugs is a good one.  I'm curious about how you know the "settings" and how often you do the treatments (if you're inclined to share).
casandra1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »

I have used both the cold laser and infrared lights. Both are very effective. The infrared is for skin healing, stimulate accu points and wound healing. You will see the red spectrum along with the"invisible" infrared spectrum. These 2 are usually together and have worked wonders as this could be bandaged onto the spot that needs healing without damage.
The laser uses a defferent spectrum which is only visible in a very dark room, or shown against a dark object. It will also test on a radio by putting it off a station and shining the laser by the antenna it will give off tones. The new lasers work and work quick. The old model was at least 20 min. of constant movement. The newer version is 30 seconds to max of 2 min. A lot more user friendly.

'
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:34:39 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.  On the infrared, I'm assuming you repeat treatments until you can topically see improvement to the wound (like daily?) ..

On the Cold Laser for deep tissue, I'm curious as to how often (daily too?) ... and do you stop when soreness/lameness subside only or inconjunction with Thermal imaging to verify (if you use that too).  Tx.
casandra1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »

The lights can be used daily even after you believe its healed. The laser is a 1x daily.
mo doc n

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »

We recently bought a small cold laser. Supposed to promote healing and relieve muscle soreness.

In the short time we've had it, it seems to have some benefit.

Anybody have experience with it?

This has to be better than those electrod machines that are usually called "thumpers"
At $125 a pop I'd rather use the cold laser it probably has already paid for itself
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »

This has to be better than those electrod machines that are usually called "thumpers"
At $125 a pop I'd rather use the cold laser it probably has already paid for itself

I think that the electod machine that you are calling a thumper is probably as effective a tool as has come into the field.  I have a friend who had a terrible case  of planta facia and could hardly walk .  I told her to find a podiatrist with a shock wave therapy machine and she did.  He charged her $500 cash and she was like new the next day and has not had a recurrence. 

Pa has outlawed the use within 7 days of a race.  Must be a reason. Pain relief extraordinaire,

I have  not used it yet but I have priced one and if Santa is listening!

jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »

I think that the electod machine that you are calling a thumper is probably as effective a tool as has come into the field.  I have a friend who had a terrible case  of planta facia and could hardly walk .  I told her to find a podiatrist with a shock wave therapy machine and she did.  He charged her $500 cash and she was like new the next day and has not had a recurrence. 

Pa has outlawed the use within 7 days of a race.  Must be a reason. Pain relief extraordinaire,

Illinois too, since 2003 at least.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »

Illinois too, since 2003 at least.

The machine has an anesthetic ability but it also promotes soft tissue healing and it is a great tool in the right hands.  The woman that had her foot treated, thought I was full of bull and now she considers the treatment a near miracle.

Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »

I have  not used it yet but I have priced one and if Santa is listening!
Buying a Shock Wave machine was without a doubt GREAT MONEY SPENT!

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »

Buying a Shock Wave machine was without a doubt GREAT MONEY SPENT!

TS

Did you buy one?

Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 11:38:13 PM »

Did you buy one?

Yes I did.

The theraputic value was outstanding.

But they are not cheap to operate.

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »

Whic machine did yo buy?  How many horses do you train?

Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »

Whic machine did yo buy?  How many horses do you train?

Lithostar C

I did not own one myself while we were actively racing. Used the vets at the tracks or training centers where ever we were.

I bought ours when when we decided to take two years and experiment and high altitude train. Have the Lithostar C SW machine, Hughes Probeye thermal imaging machine, ultra sound and a bunch of misc diagnostic and theraputic machines.

We are way over a hundred miles from any sort of technical horse vets. Everyone that calls themselves a vet out here deals with cows. The worst vet in the northeast would be an absolute SUPERSTAR out here. We have to be in the position to get the answers ourself.

Twenty two standarbreds and seven TBs 2YTO and up. Probably woun't be racing anything until 2011. We are doing research and don't want to shotgun results. We want to be right.

TS

Punkie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »

Some interesting info from a reputable laser authority (I am NOT the owner)

http://www.respondsystems.com/store/category.asp?CategoryID=127
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »

Some interesting info from a reputable laser authority (I am NOT the owner)

http://www.respondsystems.com/store/category.asp?CategoryID=127

Very interesting!

Thank you,
TS

Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »

Was in use by top sheds 25 yrs ago.......
Brogan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »

Had the good fortune to have met Larry Jones when he shipped into Monmouth last year for a stakes race.  Helluva nice guy.  

Several of us weren't shy about striking up a conversation with him.  The conversation ranged far and wide, but one thing that did come out of it is that Larry is a big time believer in the theraputic benefit of cold laser therapy.

I heard it straight from him, and he's one trainer I'd believe.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:26:50 PM by Brogan » Report to moderator   Logged
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:19:35 AM »

Just to update my own experience - have a mare with a slab fracture, stall rest for Nov and Dec, with the cold laser, started jogging back in Jan, q'd a couple of weeks ago in :58, racing back well.

How much did the laser help? Can't say for sure but she is sound on it now (knockin on wood). I'm happy with the results.

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: