Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 21, 2014, 09:00:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training - Recovering from Potomac Fever  (Read 1464 times)
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:30:50 AM »

Horse appears to have recovered from a bout of Potomac fever, responded to antibotics, put weight back on, coat look greats, behavior back to normal, eating/drinking fine, back in racing form (and doing well) ... however, stools are still loose.

Help if you can.  Someone has suggested yogurt .. to rebuild good bacteria and digestive system.  Any ideas?
Report to moderator   Logged
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »

Ask a vet about giving him a dose of another horses manure.  i understand that the good bacteria in the gut might die off and need replaced.  The manure remedy is from thirty years ago so don't try it without talking with an expert.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »

Ask a vet about giving him a dose of another horses manure.  i understand that the good bacteria in the gut might die off and need replaced.  The manure remedy is from thirty years ago so don't try it without talking with an expert.

I understand the same thing you do Samstar ... and that remedy is really unusual, to say the least.  I'll look into it, Tx.  Not my horse just helping a friend.
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:48 PM »

I know of people doing that. The antibiotic could also cause the loose stools as well. You should probably wait until all antibiotics have run through the horse then see if its still loose. just a thought. thumbs up

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »

I know of people doing that. The antibiotic could also cause the loose stools as well. You should probably wait until all antibiotics have run through the horse then see if its still loose. just a thought. thumbs up

Sorry the response took me so long.  The antibiotics stopped in September (so I've been told) but the loose stools continue.  I may not be getting the whole story (not my horse) and maybe something else is going on which is none of my business.  I'll continue the monitoring and maybe chip in for the yogurt or some home treatment.  Best that I stay out of it, maybe.  I just feel bad for the horse. 
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »

Who is getting married?

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »

Just an owner & trainer hook-up ... doing the "for richer, for poorer and for absolutely broke if you keep horses" thing.  screwy
casandra1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »

Go to your feed store and order charcoal gel, it comes in the calking gun size. Give 1/3 tube 3 times a day for the first couple days, then 1/3 tube every other day for 10 days. If the poops turn black, that is normal. Charcoal will take out 80% of the toxins in the gut, and help normalize it. Then you can use your probiotics on the off days for the 10 days.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 04:46:42 AM »

Thanks Casandra1.  That's exactly the kind of simple, non-invasive treatment I was looking for.  Will let you know.   thumbs up
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »

Just an update on this horse.  My friend has just let time run its course.  I helped Paddock her this weekend (yet again, as I smitten with this one) and the Horse hit a lifetime mark.  Racing better than ever.  Second chance on life and racing and making the most of it !! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: