Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 21, 2014, 10:23:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O/T draft driving horse  (Read 898 times)
fairgame

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »

I know that some of you here come across many horses that need homes.   We have an opening for a smaller draft, no taller than 16 hands, that is very quiet and drives, that has been driving for a while.  We are a non-profit operation that works with horses to help people with special needs to help them discover their abilities.   

We do have one standardbred already and may be looking for another one in the future as the one we have has proved to be such a favorite personality wise with everyone.  However right now we need to find a bigger boned horse to pull our wheelchair accessible carriage who can also be available to be ridden by some of our larger students.  The reason we need a shorter stature than is common is for the volunteers to be able to reach to assist the riders.  I would really like to find a beligiun as I find their calm personalities and work ethic as superior to other breeds as the standardbreds.  Halflingers are out, we have had two and they tend to be rather pushy and opinionated and take advantage of the volunteers so my boss has said no more.  Also she really wants a gelding, we already have two mares that are not safe to be turned out with others and we have a limited # of paddocks.

This is going to be a long search for just the right fit.  Though I know there are many horses that  find themselves in  unfortunate circumstances and deserve good homes we have to consider the safety of our students and volunteers first and we have to be economically prudent in choosing a healthy horse so we can offer opportunities to as many people that could be helped by our services as possible.   We also take horses in on lease so if you know of an owner who has a horse they no longer have time for but would like to see put to good use while retaining ownership that would be the ideal situation.

If anyone out there knows of any possibilities to look at I would appreciate a heads up.     
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:58:01 AM by fairgame » Report to moderator   Logged
BabyFireFly

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »

Check out Frog Pond Draft Rescue.
Report to moderator   Logged
fairgame

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:24:43 AM »

Thanks, I will
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: