Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 02:39:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago revises qualifying times  (Read 2315 times)
bigapple

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »

The qualifying standards for Chicago have FINALLY been updated!

This is a step in the right direction in an attempt to improve the quality of Chicago racing.  The revised times are finally closer to the reality of 2009 race times.

It looks like the times will be effective with the October 1st draw.

Mile track times (temps above 60)
1:58
NW4 - 1:59
NW2 - 2:01

Half mile tracks allow 1 second
F&M are allowed 1 second
Trotters are allowed 2 seconds

Report to moderator   Logged
Mo Doc N

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »

I was told of and saw this as well ~ I would have liked some sort of warning instead of 1 day before the draw Roll Eyes

I understand what they are trying to do (sort of) but they are racing for Northfield purses yet they want East Coast caliber horses. I believe it is going to be another way to screw with the horsemen & women they have grudges against.  JMO

I'll let you know tomorrow ~ on second thought if I delete my account you'll know why censor
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »

I'll let you know tomorrow ~ on second thought if I delete my account you'll know why censor
I don't know about anyone else, but if you delete your account I won't have the slightest clue as to why. If you don't like the qua times ,why delete a BTW account?

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Mo Doc N

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:58:07 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but if you delete your account I won't have the slightest clue as to why. If you don't like the qua times ,why delete a BTW account?

because they read this and know who I am and want to get back at me.
You have to believe they check out the local forums for information and know who some people are.

Too paranoid ..........eh?
DS4230

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »

I was told of and saw this as well ~ I would have liked some sort of warning instead of 1 day before the draw Roll Eyes

I understand what they are trying to do (sort of) but they are racing for Northfield purses yet they want East Coast caliber horses. I believe it is going to be another way to screw with the horsemen & women they have grudges against.  JMO

I can't speak to the political undertone of this move, but I think you have a good point. Personally I don't think this will make a difference. If someone told me there are a large number of horses that can't make the standard now, ok, I see it then. But I don't think that is going to happen. The economics will drive the boat.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »

I can't imagine how changing the qualifying times could possibly improve the quality of racing. Reminds me of changing the bottom claiming price. When it was $8000, it was just a bunch of $4000 claimers running for twice what they should have been.
The only thing that will improve Chicago harness racing is bigger purses.
bigapple

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »

Most certainly increased purses will improve racing.  Purses are driven by handle.  How many times have you picked up a program and seen horses that have barely qualified?  The horse with the very slow line is hardly bettable.  The less horses to bet, the less the handle, the less the purses. 
kingofpain

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »

Changing the times will help eliminate the horses who are not competitive but yet race! This should help some of the horses who do not get in but every 3 weeks at Maywood to get in more!

DS4230

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »

Changing the times will help eliminate the horses who are not competitive but yet race! This should help some of the horses who do not get in but every 3 weeks at Maywood to get in more!

All of this is happening that often at the lower end? I don't see the lower end horses having problems massive problems getting in, but I am not following entries day in and day out.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »

What horses are having to wait three weeks to race? It doesn't look like it in the program.
kingofpain

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »

What horses are having to wait three weeks to race? It doesn't look like it in the program.
If you race at Maywood your horse does not get in everyweek!  FNnw - NW4/CL to name a couple of classes!
Now lets go back to the subject of dropping the qualifying time to race in Chicago!
If your horse is not competitive then why race! If your horse can't go in 159 at Maywood then go somewhere that you can be competitive! If your racing just to get checks in lower class racing then you either have alot of money or you don't mind losing money!
Mo Doc N

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »

I wonder what else these bastards will come up with  Roll Eyes
I hope Stormy and Doc meet up with Dan ***'s baseball bat  Grin

Looking in ~ they are going to pick and choose who to mess with , bottom line.
I knew this would happen but my partner didn't believe me so he was little more upset than I was.

Good Racing
 trotter
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:35:53 PM by Mo Doc N » Report to moderator   Logged
DS4230

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »

If you race at Maywood your horse does not get in everyweek!  FNnw - NW4/CL to name a couple of classes!
Now lets go back to the subject of dropping the qualifying time to race in Chicago!
If your horse is not competitive then why race! If your horse can't go in 159 at Maywood then go somewhere that you can be competitive! If your racing just to get checks in lower class racing then you either have alot of money or you don't mind losing money!

Listen, on one hand I agree. There must be a standard. On another, I'd love to race against 2 or 3 horses who can't compete. Hell, I'd like to race against 7 that can't compete, but that's another and a selfish story. If Maywood has a large number of horses that aren't racing every week, then I think changing the qualifying times is the wrong solution. This is throwing a cup of water on a five alarm fire. You want to change that, then write a better condition sheet every week.

Can't compete, don't race? Yes. But I don't think that's the case here. Not in those classes. I'd be shocked if this change cleans out a section of the horses that race in Maywood.
kingofpain

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »

I wonder what else these bastards will come up with  Roll Eyes
I hope Stormy and Doc meet up with Dan ***'s baseball bat  Grin

Looking in ~ they are going to pick and choose who to mess with , bottom line.
I knew this would happen but my partner didn't believe me so he was little more upset than I was.

Good Racing
 trotter

Huh Are you saying that they revised the times just to mess with you?
bigapple

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:49:07 AM »

I think the general opinion is that Chicago racing is a mess.  There is no one answer that will "fix" everything.  The qualifying times are a start.  The condition sheet absolutely needs revamping. I don't think it's changed very much over the past fifteen+ years - outside of destroying any trotting or filly/mare classes.  The nw/claiming classes have destroyed the value of average Illinois horses.  They need to be restructured.  The noncompetitive nw/claiming horses need to find new homes.
HH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 12:08:31 PM »

There are a lot of cheap NW/cl & 4 cl at maywood, but its Doc's fault!  Why is he approving stall aps for these horses from other states if he doesn't need them?  Any other track in the country will pick and choose what horses they want from outside trainers, depending on what they need to fill races.  If people are leaving to race Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio, ect., they need to check these stall aps when they come back. What the heck?!!!
eggiewon

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »

I havnt read the condition sheet to see what it says but i gather it says if ya dont go in Q time you must reQ. I think that is good and will help get horses raced that are competative . Not so much lower Q times will help but it will throw out a bad horse for a few weeks and force the trainer to have the horse good  before it races again should make for better racing .
tsunami

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »

Huh Are you saying that they revised the times just to mess with you?

No
tsunami

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »

There are a lot of cheap NW/cl & 4 cl at maywood, but its Doc's fault!  Why is he approving stall aps for these horses from other states if he doesn't need them?  Any other track in the country will pick and choose what horses they want from outside trainers, depending on what they need to fill races.  If people are leaving to race Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio, ect., they need to check these stall aps when they come back. What the heck?!!!

Great point !!
tsunami

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »

I havnt read the condition sheet to see what it says but i gather it says if ya dont go in Q time you must reQ. I think that is good and will help get horses raced that are competative . Not so much lower Q times will help but it will throw out a bad horse for a few weeks and force the trainer to have the horse good  before it races again should make for better racing .

RD ,

This is a perfect example ~ you have no clue what the rule is or what the criteria is  Huh
You wont know either, unless you call in and find out if you got in.

O&S had to call George Clegg about Guest Host to make sure he re-qualified because he had no idea
after he entered his horse his entry wasn't accepted, he thought he just didn't get in Huh

My only point here it was conveyed poorly to everyone and after talking to people in charge it just sounds like they are making this crap up as they go along?

eggiewon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »

the reason i am not sure of the rule because there is no need to check for me any way  nobody has to force me to not race a bad horse if they cant go or struggle to in Q time each week they wont be in Kims barn very long
kellytuc
The one, the only, and the former - Kellytuc!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:06 PM »

Rick dane has hit the nail on the head!  If more people had a realistic view of their stock, they wouldnt be in such a bad position.  Simply put, if you have to find out if your horse is qualified, he shouldnt be racing!   Very well said Rick!
canuhandlethetruth

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 09:56:07 PM »

q time now should b no prob for good horses cant go q time call the Amish . Next thing they could do is no more n/w 4 8k and such . Strait claimer's 4 , 6 , 8 , 10 , 12,500 , 15,000 , 20,000 , w/o , Open .....  then n/w 2 k , 4k ,6k ,8k ........ how hard is that format ........ couple weeks all horses and classes work themselves out ..... in life people hate change and its going to take change to help this biz .
eggiewon

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »

i made it a point to read it tonight  Q time is 58 below 60 degrees allow 1 second below 40 allow 2 seconds so its not much off a change in Q times
tsunami

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 11:06:01 PM »

i made it a point to read it tonight  Q time is 58 below 60 degrees allow 1 second below 40 allow 2 seconds so its not much off a change in Q times

My point exactly you don't really know ~ this is not just for qualifing , if your horse has been racing and has two races back to back under these times (sh*t happens) you will also be made to re qualify.

I understand what they are trying to do , they had over 400 head enter at Maywood the last couple weeks and only 200 can get in. What needs to happen is ,the rules need to spelled out so everybody knows. 
I bet there are people who are going to enter tomorrow who don't even know they have to qualify again.

Anybody can race their horses elsewhere Northfield , Iowa, Michigan etc. if they can't make the grade here
but that's not the point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: