Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 20, 2014, 03:10:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Old Field In US Pacing Chapionship  (Read 2955 times)
wizard78

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 09:44:14 PM »

Wow.Thats tough and I dont have an idea as to who those gentleman would be. But I am really curious. i am not familier with either incident.

The track opened in 1940, and I started going in 1960. I dont think these cards occurred after '60, but I will respectfully say i don't know.

I do remember several cards run in '78 when the tellers went on strike and the races were run in front of nobody for the purposes of allowing NYC OTB to take action. That was pretty eerie.

But I can't answer your question, and I have to say i am embarrassed .I should know but cant name either

An episode of I Love Lucy was filmed there , where Lucy drives against many "real" drivers . It was an hour episode filmed about 1960. She won the race but was taken down for about 20 different infractions. Im sure you have seen it.

But I eagerly await your answer
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:45:50 PM by wizard78 » Report to moderator   Logged
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »

Wow.Thats tough and I dont have an idea as to who those gentleman would be. But I am really curious. i am not familier with either incident.

The track opened in 1940, and I started going in 1960. I dont think these cards occurred after '60, but I will respectfully say i don't know.

I do remember several cards run in '78 when the tellers went on strike and the races were run in front of nobody for the purposes of allowing NYC OTB to take action. That was pretty eerie.

But I can't answer your question, and I have to say i am embarrassed .I should know but cant name either

An episode of I Love Lucy was filmed there , where Lucy drives against many "real" drivers . It was an hour episode filmed about 1960. She won the race but was taken down for about 20 different infractions. Im sure you have seen it.

But I eagerly await your answer

Nope, they were legit races. Only a handful of races though. Just non-betting races and not open to the public.

The answer is that Roosevelt Raceway first hosted President John F. Kennedy in an official White House function. At his request, they put on races. Because it was an official White House function, they printed menus with the official Presidential Seal and from what I remember reading on it, they even either shipped in special china or made it to use that day.

A few years later, they hosted President Johnson as part of a fundraiser
Report to moderator   Logged

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

“The answer to a government that’s too big is to stop feeding its growth.” - President Ronald W. Reagan
wizard78

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »

I didnt know that...great question
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

I didnt know that...great question

The reason I know it is because copies of the menus and press releases were another thing I didnt take.

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

“The answer to a government that’s too big is to stop feeding its growth.” - President Ronald W. Reagan
wizard78

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »

I would have to call that cheating since you were not supposed to be there ...lol
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »

I would have to call that cheating since you were not supposed to be there ...lol

Its not like I bet the races lol

Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »

Wizard,

Here is one for you on that big concert from 1974 when they had 80,000 people

http://www.suitelorraine.com/suitelorraine/Pages/csnyroosevelt.html

wizard78

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »

yes that was quite a cast of greats that were there.......i didnt go, but I cant imagine fitting 80,000 prople into that facility

The International Trot routinely drew between 40 and 50 thousand......but 80 Huh??

what a scene that had to be
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:26:12 PM by wizard78 » Report to moderator   Logged
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »

yes that was quite a cast of greats that were there.......i didnt go, but I cant imagine fitting 80,000 prople into that facility

The International Trot routinely drew between 40 and 50 thousand......but 80 Huh??

what a scene that had to be

It was a ten hour concert lol

Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 12:22:29 AM »

Thanks for the great history and info BB and Wizard. Good stuff!!

The more you bet...the more you win
wizard78

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 06:38:43 AM »

my pleasure
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »

Not a problem. Let me throw out a couple more for you and I will apologize in advance for bouncing around here. The original plan was to implode the grandstand and clubhouse and just bulldoze the barns, paddock, etc.

An inspection of the grandstand and clubhouse found some asbestos and also oil, believed to be contaminated, seeping from the old electric generator room in the heart of the building. It was just enough to locals involved to stop the implosion. So in the end, they had to strip down the entire interior of the grandstand and clubhouse down to the beams and support poles.

Now before I go on, go back to what I had first said about them just closing the doors and walking out after the last race card ... well, eventhough some of us got in and took things from the old press room and other areas, there was still a ton of stuff remaining there ... and I mean a TON of stuff. If you think you see a lot of Roosevelt Raceway items on E-Bay, that is just a tiny percentage of what was really there.

Here is where the sport caught a huge break. Before they got to work stripping the place down, the demolition crew recognized what was left behind and the historical importance. They contacted the people who owned the property at that point. Needless to say, they wanted no part of it cause they were sitting on a $2 Billion piece of real estate that they were waiting to build on.

I am not 100% sure of how it went down but my understanding is there were people on the demolition crew who had some connection to Roosevelt Raceway and they either contacted the USTA or somebody well connected to harness racing and told them what they had.

Whoever they got in touch with, and I apologize for not being able to give him or her proper credit, got out to Roosevelt Raceway to look at it. In the end, a deal got worked out between the owners, the demolition crew and whoever it was that went out that they would get two days to clear out as much stuff as they could.

So as the story was told to me, much of what the USTA has from their Roosevelt Raceway project came about from that.

Now advance ahead ... unfortunately, not even the once mighty Roosevelt Raceway could withstand the wrecking ball. When the final piece of the grandstand fell, there was the natural pile of rubble but the old race track had one final surprise for everybody.

In the middle of all that rubble was an old gas line that was missed but which got ruptured when the last piece of the grandstand fell. There wasnt any explosion or anything like that. The rubble just burned in a bright but controlled ball of flames.

Now this was before the slot machine laws were passed and I could help remember that with Yonkers near closing that somwhow Roosevelt Raceway reduced to burning rubble was a fitting end to harness racing in the area.

wizard78

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »

very informative --thanks BB
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »

So as the story was told to me, much of what the USTA has from their Roosevelt Raceway project came about from that.

BB,
       AFAIK, the USTA had nothing to do with the recovery of materials from RR. They are in Columbus, OH a good 14-hours away.

The Roosevelt Raceway Legacy Project is through the Harness Museum at Goshen (perhaps a hour away) and it was they who recovered the materials.
 Although I never read if it was actual museum staff or others on their behalf.

Regards Don
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 10:06:44 AM »

BB,
       AFAIK, the USTA had nothing to do with the recovery of materials from RR. They are in Columbus, OH a good 14-hours away.

The Roosevelt Raceway Legacy Project is through the Harness Museum at Goshen (perhaps a hour away) and it was they who recovered the materials.
 Although I never read if it was actual museum staff or others on their behalf.

Thanks for giving proper credit to those responsible for it. Again, I was giving my understanding of it as it was told to me.

wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 10:42:53 AM »

The recently deceased Mary Lib Miller (RIP) and Dottie Haughton have been quite active in leading the requests for contributions to fund the RR Legacy Project.
 Believe they were/are co-chairs of the project.

All this information has been published in the numerous press releases hawking the project.
 As well as the Harness Museum's page on same project, which I previously supplied a link to in this same thread.

Regards Don
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: