Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 04:36:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short weekend card at AP  (Read 2477 times)
APCD Dan

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »

They must be holding back horses for Million week.  There were just 9 races on Saturday and 8 on Sunday.
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:50:27 AM »

Well, someone is holding back horses for something. There were 10 races planned in the condition book for each day. Maybe a factor in the decision to only ask for 4 days a week all season next year. (Hope the ITHA has a deal in place to mitigate the additional recapture effect on that one!)  

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/sites/arlingtonpark.com/files/Cond%20Book%204%20July%2029%20-%20Aug%2023%202009.pdf
baymare

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:23:49 AM »

There is a horse shortage period they haven't been drawing the races till 4 pm almost everyday. With the Polytrack horses don't get days off like they used to when the track was bad now they train everyday and are getting very body sore. So they are running more often training harder it's starting to take it's toll. They should manditory close the track at least one day a week like they did at Hawthorne. It forces the trainers to give there horses a day off, everyone needs 1 day off.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:12:52 AM »

There is a horse shortage period they haven't been drawing the races till 4 pm almost everyday. With the Polytrack horses don't get days off like they used to when the track was bad now they train everyday and are getting very body sore. So they are running more often training harder it's starting to take it's toll. They should manditory close the track at least one day a week like they did at Hawthorne. It forces the trainers to give there horses a day off, everyone needs 1 day off.

The shorter cards on Sunday happened LY too as soon as they started the Wed racing. Big crowd yesterday and they have to throw everyone out at 5PM because there is no more racing..it's a shame and as CT said, the main reason behind not requesting any Wed dates next year. With the way they have been drawing, you could run 11 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday with nice hnadles.

And a seperate rant...I still think they should start Wed and Thursday cards at 3PM in order to draw an after work customer.
Fiddler

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »

Klink,

I agree with you 100% on the weekday start times, 3:00 is perfect.  Is anyone at AP listening?
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »

Klink,

I agree with you 100% on the weekday start times, 3:00 is perfect.  Is anyone at AP listening?

The only reason I can think that they still start at 1:00 would be for simulcasting reasons...what exactly they might be I'm not sure, but otherwise it makes no sense.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »

The only reason I can think that they still start at 1:00 would be for simulcasting reasons...what exactly they might be I'm not sure, but otherwise it makes no sense.

If they start early, then it would be to draw East Coast handle.  If they start later, then the reason would be West Coast handle.  Which one pays more?
The_Knight_Sky

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »

With the Polytrack horses don't get days off like they used to
when the track was bad now they train everyday and are getting very body sore.

So they are running more often training harder it's starting to take it's toll.

Are they  horse running more?

More starts per season for the horses racing on the Illinois circuit ?

The travels and travails of a 25 year racing  fan: http://www.theknightskyracing.blogspot.com
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »

If they start early, then it would be to draw East Coast handle.  If they start later, then the reason would be West Coast handle.  Which one pays more?

AP's start time and time between races seems primarily designed to fit part of a greater overall CDI simulcast package schedule. Live patrons are small potatoes.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »

The training track is still dirt, you only need to go to the main track for the clockers.
ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »

Now we have jockey's wives telling trainers what days we should train?  The reason Hawthorne closed one day a week was so they wouldn't have to pay the outriders, ambulance crew, clockers and spotters, track crew,.... not out of concern for the horses.
General Powell

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »

Now we have jockey's wives telling trainers what days we should train?  The reason Hawthorne closed one day a week was so they wouldn't have to pay the outriders, ambulance crew, clockers and spotters, track crew,.... not out of concern for the horses.
Two things

Even though the reason at Hawthorne was economic in closing down Tuesdays, the reality is that a day of rest occurred.

2nd-- This forum is open to everyone-- A jockey's wife has as much right to make suggestions and comments as the rest of us. You don't have to agree with anyone,but we all love the sport(I hope) and we can all make statements or advance suggestions. I know Baymare did a lot for the Douglas outing and is probably more entitled than many of us (including me) to comment on this forum.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 11:37:33 PM »

Now we have jockey's wives telling trainers what days we should train? 

The bottom line is are the horses sore, like she said?

If not, why aren't they being entered? That's the subject of the thread. We've been reading all along how full that backside is.
ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »

Make no mistake about it, the poly is tearing these horses up.  But closing the track one day a week is not going to miraculously heal them.  We are dealing with much more than muscle soreness.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

Make no mistake about it, the poly is tearing these horses up.  But closing the track one day a week is not going to miraculously heal them.  We are dealing with much more than muscle soreness.

Well, there's a problem!

Thanks for the insight.
General Powell

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »

What are we hearing from other Poly tracks; ie Keeneland, Turfway, Woodbine--Is the Poly "tearing up " those horses as well--

I remember when AP got new equipment for the Poly 2 months ago- There were favorable comments at that time from some trainers.. Is Barajas's departure in any way a factor?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »

What are we hearing from other Poly tracks; ie Keeneland, Turfway, Woodbine--Is the Poly "tearing up " those horses as well--

I remember when AP got new equipment for the Poly 2 months ago- There were favorable comments at that time from some trainers.. Is Barajas's departure in any way a factor?

"Body sore" is a very common complaint from the trainers in California about their artificial tracks. No idea what the Kentucky guys say.

What I remember about the new AP equipment is that they had to "fluff up" their track. Maybe it's no good after a couple years.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »

They must be holding back horses for Million week.  There were just 9 races on Saturday and 8 on Sunday.

Thanks to a heads up from someone who was actually at the track on Sunday, I looked at Equibase again, and lo and behold! it turns out there were indeed 9 races Sunday, as well. The charts miraculously now have finally been entered into the Equibase system appeared. Perhaps there was an early bird special at the bar on Sunday, or something.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »

By the way APCD Dan, I don't think anyone was holding back for "Million Week", since there's only 8 races on the cards both Wed and Thur, and the races Wed-Thu-Fri all look suspiciously like "Normal Week" fare.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »

By the way APCD Dan, I don't think anyone was holding back for "Million Week", since there's only 8 races on the cards both Wed and Thur, and the races Wed-Thu-Fri all look suspiciously like "Normal Week" fare.

OK, my mistake, I thought I looked at Equibase results for Sunday long enough after the races were over.  Apparently, one showed up later for some reason.  Even nine races for Saturday and Sunday is too low.  As far as saving horses for Million Week, I was referring to quantity and not quality.

I am usually present on Saturdays only, as I do work part time and have limited financial resources, so I do not make Sundays.  At least, I make it to Arlington once a week and do not have to participate from a thousand miles away.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »

OK, my mistake, I thought I looked at Equibase results for Sunday long enough after the races were over.  Apparently, one showed up later for some reason.  Even nine races for Saturday and Sunday is too low.  As far as saving horses for Million Week, I was referring to quantity and not quality.

Well, the 8 races Wednesday and Thursday kind of blow that theory, don't they.

I am usually present on Saturdays only, as I do work part time and have limited financial resources, so I do not make Sundays.  At least, I make it to Arlington once a week and do not have to participate from a thousand miles away.

That's nice. I participate at places with names like Yavapai Downs and Montana Downs and Emerald Downs and Yellowstone Downs. Not a great deal of difference as far as I am concerned. It's live horse racing. Of course, the admission and concessions are a lot cheaper. (Well, maybe not so much at Emerald.) And, if I want, I can go to the local OTB any day and play Arlington or any other major track, if their card strikes my fancy. (No surcharge, either.) We even have electricity and indoor plumbing here now.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »

Well, the 8 races Wednesday and Thursday kind of blow that theory, don't they.

I was thinking more about the cards on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

That's nice. I participate at places with names like Yavapai Downs and Montana Downs and Emerald Downs and Yellowstone Downs.

As far as Arlington is concerned, your local opinions mean more when you are at The Track, Jack, or even the local watering holes the young ones here prefer.  Making the scene at Mountain Downs is sort of like a tourist stop.

I am getting the feeling Terry is bored and wants to do some word dancing again.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 02:22:26 PM »

I was thinking more about the cards on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Ah ... so not really "Million Week" so much as "Million Weekend", and 9 not particularly full races on Friday is remarkable?

As far as Arlington is concerned, your local opinions mean more when you are at The Track, Jack, or even the local watering holes the young ones here prefer.

Disagree.

Making the scene at Mountain Downs is sort of like a tourist stop.

Disagree again. Arlington is far more of a tourist stop, and treats customers like tourists to be fleeced, than honest little low-budget local country meets. 

I am getting the feeling Terry is bored and wants to do some word dancing again.

Hey, you're the one who read a non-existent slam into "actually at the track" (hint: they told ME, who wasn't there, about something I was posting about), and then got all defensive about "Million Week" coming up a bit short.
General Powell

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »

Sat overnight just came out- 116 entered plus 3 AE-- 9.7 per race. Pretty good, glad to see the OOT jocks riding more than just the 3 graded races.
mj

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »

Interesting Arlington is now calling the "Million Week" to "The International Festival of Racing" for Saturday.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: