Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 30, 2014, 05:01:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $750,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) July 18 at Colonial Downs, including Nicanor  (Read 2579 times)
Secretariat

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »

$750,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) July 18 at Colonial Downs, including Nicanor,  dude

Nicanor, is BARBARO's younger full brother., who is a TURF dynamo, as was his sire, dynaformer. Nic, won his last out on turf by 10.5  horse

1) Affirmatif (Chris DeCarlo, 117)
2) Florentino (Alan Garcia, 121)
3) Take the Points (Edgar Prado, 117)
4) Nicanor (Jose Lezcano, 117)
5) Safety Valve (E. Camacho, 117)
6) Straight Story (Chuck Lopez, 117)
7) Hold Me Back (Kent Desormeaux, 117)
8) El Crespo (Julien Leparoux, 121)
9) Battle of Hastings (Tyler Baze, 121)
10) Lime Rickey (Cornelio Velasquez, 117

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51660/battle-of-hastings-fights-for-virginia-derby

But Nicanor is far from the most accomplished contestant in the 10-furlong event on the grass. Mike House’s Battle of Hastings, bred in Great Britain, is returning to the scene of his Colonial Turf Cup (gr. IIT) triumph June 20 with a lifetime bankroll of better than $474,000. Jeff Mullins trains.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:22:16 PM by My Friend » Report to moderator   Logged

Certified Derbytologist ©
General Powell

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:25:40 PM »

I'll get in trouble for this, but I wish AP would raise the purse for the American Derby to at least close to what Colonial pays for their Derby. The American Derby has a long and distinguished history but is devastated by the purse size. If AP would eliminate 3 of the 8 races for either Illinois Bred or State residence owners, the purse could go to 600K. Not to be mean, but the field sizes on Prairie State Day were small, and so was the betting interest( out of state betters seem to avoid those stakes restricted stakes like the plague)  This also means a need to raise the Secretariat purse--Oh well; goodbye Chicago Handicap, goodbye Sea o Erin, and yes, goodbye Pucker Up. For about 800K the 3yr old Lawn mowers would descend on the place like locusts in Utah.
Report to moderator   Logged
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:34:49 PM »

I'll get in trouble for this, but I wish AP would raise the purse for the American Derby to at least close to what Colonial pays for their Derby. The American Derby has a long and distinguished history but is devastated by the purse size. If AP would eliminate 3 of the 8 races for either Illinois Bred or State residence owners, the purse could go to 600K. Not to be mean, but the field sizes on Prairie State Day were small, and so was the betting interest( out of state betters seem to avoid those stakes restricted stakes like the plague)  This also means a need to raise the Secretariat purse--Oh well; goodbye Chicago Handicap, goodbye Sea o Erin, and yes, goodbye Pucker Up. For about 800K the 3yr old Lawn mowers would descend on the place like locusts in Utah.

No way you should do away with the Pucker Up - that has been a fairly signature race that's a major regional prep for the QE II at KEE, one of the more important races in the division the whole season. The fields, in general, have reflected this fact.
Edwarren

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

BSmeter
CHDN must have close to $400 million in shareholder equity and over $225 million in net tangible assets.  Can someone provide a realistic answer as to why they can't increase the American Derby purse by $300,000.  Get the puck outta here!
General Powell

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »

No way you should do away with the Pucker Up - that has been a fairly signature race that's a major regional prep for the QE II at KEE, one of the more important races in the division the whole season. The fields, in general, have reflected this fact.
I'll buy off on that--What other race would you drop--Do you think the AD/Secretariat  needs the purse increase I am advocating
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »

BSmeter
CHDN must have close to $400 million in shareholder equity and over $225 million in net tangible assets.  Can someone provide a realistic answer as to why they can't increase the American Derby purse by $300,000.  Get the puck outta here!

Doesn't the American Derby purse come out of the regular purse fund?  CD has nothing to do with paying for this purse, unless they want to make a private donation above and beyond the regular amount.
General Powell

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »

Dan

I think you are right- That is why I advanced my idea of dropping races.Would rather see both the Secretariat and American Derby protected on Grade then to see state restricted and some of the other stakes races that, to my way of thinking, just don't matter. Definitely would not touch the 1000 Guineas. Hopefully that will become graded for next year. Would like to see Wash Park Handicap get more money as well.  Just my thoughts
bjchapin1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »

Doesn't the American Derby purse come out of the regular purse fund?  CD has nothing to do with paying for this purse, unless they want to make a private donation above and beyond the regular amount.

Private donation? Sort of like when the leading owner at Fairmount put up 200k for the "St. Louis Derby" in order to attract Lawyer Ron? Who's up for the Barn to Wire Challenge Stakes, privately funded by all of us? I'm in for $50.

sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »

RIP Lawyer Ron  carrot

Sod
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »

BSmeter

hijack.... hijack..... hijack..... hijack

isn't thier purse account, just like 50% of amercan corporations checking accounts, currently overdrawn.

Certified Derbytologist ©
General Powell

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »

Take a look at the ITHA site-- Then go to the Weekly Whinnies, their newsletter- If I am reading it correctly, the account is not overdrawn.
Edwarren

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 03:23:16 AM »

No one knows what effect raising the purse level would have on that races handle, one way or another.
Therefore, what I'm saying is, if Arlington want to improve the quality of its VENUE, they ought to step-up-to-the-plate and make the investment, before cannabalizing or cutting away at something they already have.

Exbourne
Drunk fat and good

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 03:41:17 AM »

Those Illinois races are the bread and butter of Illinois breeders.
I see what you are saying on the field sizes..But Believe it or not its a chance for small IL breeders to stay in the game.To dream or whatever ya want to call it.
If they cut those races you will see even Even more shorter fields in the future.Thats a promise.
The game especially in Illinios   is in trouble.
Although I respect your opinion I strongly disagree On your suggestion.
The Illinois program although not great by anymeans Is Im guessing 40 pct of our lifeblood.
Mabey Im wrong and if Iam Im sure someone will point it out.
But it still wont change my opinion on this

I drink,I smoke,I gamble.
What a Life!!!
7/29/05.
orioles

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

thumbs down nicanor injured will be scratched
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:36 PM »

Even with Nicanor gone, there are still a few early runners in this race. Which should set up perfect for a closer.

I'm going with: 9 Battle of Hastings--8 El Crespo--2 Florentino

I will probably play a WPS bet on 7 Hold Me Back, I think he is the best closer in the race but he's been gone for awhile, and who knows how he's going to handle the turf.

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: