Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 26, 2014, 12:38:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arlington charging admission for fireworks  (Read 7019 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2009, 09:58:33 AM »

I'll be there too General Powell, I'll try to make sure I take a good look at the crowd size, I'm sure there will be endless debates in the next few days over how many people actually were at AP "getting gouged"

No one is getting gouged because admission is LESS than it normally is.  doh
Report to moderator   Logged
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »

I'm off to AP today too. Gonna catch the 2:30 train. If any of you know me say "Hi". I'll be there solo today.

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2009, 01:02:18 PM »

do we really need to explode millions of dollars worth of stuff in this tough economy.. are the jobs at Ah a,d AP all safe and secure enough that we can afford to "light money on fire" and ewe and ahh at it ?

i hope they have the sense to limit the production to a very small display..

why burn your monry like this ?? in these times.. unreal.

Certified Derbytologist
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2009, 01:33:58 PM »

do we really need to explode millions of dollars worth of stuff in this tough economy.. are the jobs at Ah a,d AP all safe and secure enough that we can afford to "light money on fire" and ewe and ahh at it ?

i hope they have the sense to limit the production to a very small display..

why burn your monry like this ?? in these times.. unreal.

My Friend, you must play Scrooge at Christmas.  Fireworks are a family tradition at this time of the year--a short time to get together for pure family and community entertainment and celebration of the holiday.  Besides, at Arlington, we have money to burn, not costing the taxpayer much of anything.
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »

the voice of reason, is not the rumble of scrooge.

i bet they even financed the firework display through bank borrowing, thats how dumb people are !!

if you have money to burn at AP than , another 6  million to put the dirt back should be no problem.

last time i looked the dow was down to 8 from 14, and the unemployment rate was 10 % and growing, the auto makers are out of business, we have 150,000 troops blowong stuff up for real, and you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend all is well.

at some point, the leaders have to make tough decisions, and it seems to me, a bunch of exploding money, lit on fire, that disturbs the horses and pets , would be the a#1 plsce to start.

maybe when we grasp the issues , and change what should be into what is, we can tackle the solution.

now watch as they cut purses next year..

Certified Derbytologist
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »

Just watched the fireworks from across the street.  AP put on a fine show.  The kids could not have been happier.  I think that the amount of money expended was well worth it.  Thanks, AP.
OFO
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2009, 06:58:42 AM »

Lots of people didn't seem to mind paying this year. It took me an hour to get out of the parking lot. The crowd was easily bigger than Father's Day. Great show too, much better than last year. I wonder how the handle was because the betting lines were huge too. I did see some shut outs, which was unfortunate, but looked more like a product of so many first timers not knowing what they were doing slowing down the process.
General Powell

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2009, 07:08:11 AM »

Good Morning all-- In the altered words of Adm Oliver Perry " we have met the enemy; we are their's." My God- it was unbelieveable. I remember hearing stories about the Crowd storming old Comiskey for Disco Demo light-- At least this crowd was happy, and, mostly sober. Fire Marshal stopped sales just past 6pm but that did not make much difference. Never saw people watching the races from along side the mile chute before--and I do not mean one or two individuals. Fireworks themselves were, in my opinion, better than at Taste-(I Tivo'd the show and that's my opinion) Did not hear one complaint about the cost,  though heard complaints about everything else from the lines in the bathrooms (Joe O Donnell needs to make a retraction) to the ladies who had a minor catfight over space on the Apron.
Horse Voice

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2009, 07:22:43 AM »

the voice of reason, is not the rumble of scrooge.

i bet they even financed the firework display through bank borrowing, thats how dumb people are !!

if you have money to burn at AP than , another 6  million to put the dirt back should be no problem.

last time i looked the dow was down to 8 from 14, and the unemployment rate was 10 % and growing, the auto makers are out of business, we have 150,000 troops blowong stuff up for real, and you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend all is well.

at some point, the leaders have to make tough decisions, and it seems to me, a bunch of exploding money, lit on fire, that disturbs the horses and pets , would be the a#1 plsce to start.

maybe when we grasp the issues , and change what should be into what is, we can tackle the solution.

now watch as they cut purses next year..

Wow. Do you what day it is, "My Friend"?

Honestly, you sound like the kind of guy who, when someone says, "Thank God It's Friday!", you say "What's so good about it? It's only two days until Monday."

Yes, our country has problems, faults, issues -- all serious stuff that needs serious attention.

But those are not the focus of America's birthday. (May I ask when your birthday is, My Friend, so that we may bring up all of the your problems and faults on that day?)

On America's birthday, I think of the positives about being a U.S. citizen.

If you were born here, you've already won the lottery -- you have something like a 95% better chance than the rest of the world of living to retirement age.

We are a free people. I can get into a car in Maine, and drive all the way to San Diego, without permission or authorization -- I authorize myself. I don't even have to have a reason.

We are blessed with choices and opportunity. While it helps to be "connected", you don't have to be, strictly speaking, to start a business, to get into politics, to make your mark on the world -- whatever that may be. YOU decide. Seriously -- how many other people in the world can say that? Most people in the world can't even begin to contemplate their lot in life -- they are too busy worrying about whether they will have anything to eat today.

I could go on, but I hope you are getting the idea -- that whatever money was spent ("wasted", if you insist), on fireworks, it's the traditional symbolism of the celebration of our great nation's birthday, the huge candles on an invisible cake of which we may all have a piece.

Or not. If that's your choice, fine -- you have that right as an American. I can't shut you up, nor do I want to; instead, I would just ask that you drop these complaints for now, while the rest of us celebrate the birthday of the greatest country in the world.

And if you feel like you can't "drop it", may I suggest a looser pair of jockey shorts? Does wonders for the hypertension.

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2009, 08:04:16 AM »

Lots of people didn't seem to mind paying this year.

Did not hear one complaint about the cost

So much for all that gouging controversy APCD Dan and furlong tried to stir up at the beginning of this thread.  doh
Fiddler

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2009, 08:05:31 AM »

General,

I don't know what kind of attendance number will be released, but, the place was packed.  It was like the day Cigar ran here.  Nice fireworks show also, it was over 30 minutes long.  A great day/evening at the track.
mj

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2009, 08:37:05 AM »

It was a great night.   I even had a good ROI.   The crowd was polite when the medal of valor clip was shown.   I thought having the bugler on top of the tote board just prior to the fireworks was quite the theatrical stunt.   I was glad I had tickets.   I had forget how much the building can shake when the booms are booming.

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »

We also had a great time yesturday
Yes the crowd was huge, long lines for betting, the party in the park area was shoulder to shoulder
But after a couple races we went up to the 2nd floor , where we found it to be very comfortable, no long lines at the windows, bar, bathroom

Very nice firework show

fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »

So much for all that gouging controversy APCD Dan and furlong tried to stir up at the beginning of this thread.  doh

Oh, you mean the controversy surrounding your flip-flopping of what is considered gouging.

I never said it was gouging and thoroughly support them charging (should have charged more IMO), just pointed out your John Kerry tendancy to flip-flop when convenient for you.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2009, 11:29:46 PM »

Oh, you mean the controversy surrounding your flip-flopping of what is considered gouging.

I never said it was gouging and thoroughly support them charging (should have charged more IMO), just pointed out your John Kerry tendancy to flip-flop when convenient for you.

I didn't flip flop on gouging. Charging your regular customers more is gouging. Charging less is not gouging. Any other convoluted explanation or attempted parallel exists only in your fevered mind.

Nor did I say you claimed it was gouging. I said you tried to stir up a controversy. A phony dishonest one, to be sure.
mel4600

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2009, 09:12:33 AM »

Clocker calls a successful marketing job by Arlington price gouging. Someone needs to tell him that 5 cent beer and 50 cent prostitutes use to be available in the 1840's.
mel4600

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »

Wow. Do you what day it is, "My Friend"?

Honestly, you sound like the kind of guy who, when someone says, "Thank God It's Friday!", you say "What's so good about it? It's only two days until Monday."

Yes, our country has problems, faults, issues -- all serious stuff that needs serious attention.

But those are not the focus of America's birthday. (May I ask when your birthday is, My Friend, so that we may bring up all of the your problems and faults on that day?)

On America's birthday, I think of the positives about being a U.S. citizen.

If you were born here, you've already won the lottery -- you have something like a 95% better chance than the rest of the world of living to retirement age.

We are a free people. I can get into a car in Maine, and drive all the way to San Diego, without permission or authorization -- I authorize myself. I don't even have to have a reason.

We are blessed with choices and opportunity. While it helps to be "connected", you don't have to be, strictly speaking, to start a business, to get into politics, to make your mark on the world -- whatever that may be. YOU decide. Seriously -- how many other people in the world can say that? Most people in the world can't even begin to contemplate their lot in life -- they are too busy worrying about whether they will have anything to eat today.

I could go on, but I hope you are getting the idea -- that whatever money was spent ("wasted", if you insist), on fireworks, it's the traditional symbolism of the celebration of our great nation's birthday, the huge candles on an invisible cake of which we may all have a piece.

Or not. If that's your choice, fine -- you have that right as an American. I can't shut you up, nor do I want to; instead, I would just ask that you drop these complaints for now, while the rest of us celebrate the birthday of the greatest country in the world.

And if you feel like you can't "drop it", may I suggest a looser pair of jockey shorts? Does wonders for the hypertension.

HV,

You are becoming quite the diplomat!  bowing
Jokester

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »

Clocker calls a successful marketing job by Arlington price gouging. Someone needs to tell him that 5 cent beer and 50 cent prostitutes use to be available in the 1840's.

DIRTY DICK  AT HIS BEST!!!! beer
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:23:53 PM by Jokester » Report to moderator   Logged
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »

I had a fun day at the park overall. I didn't leave a loser which is always good, but I came with $50 and left with only $50.60, after playing all ten races.

It was a little annoying when some a** across the street was setting off those loud booming but invisible fireworks in the middle of the day. One always seemed to go off when the horses were in the paddock. One horse got away from its groomer and took a relaxed stroll through the paddock on her own. I've never seen that before, everyone in the paddock just froze. The next race a boom went off and horse reared up so high I thought it was going to flip over.

It was strange how the day got more crowded as it continued. I'm used to the track starting off with a crowd then dwindling down to nobody by the ninth race. By the sixth race, the lines to place a wager were ridiculous. Even down by the paddock were I like to wager. If I waited to watch the horses in the paddock I wasn't going to be able to place a bet in time. I always seem to get stuck behind the guy that must be using quantum mechanics to place his bet cuz he takes 5 minutes to punch it in electronic tote. 

I'm always happy to see the track crowded, good day for Arlington. beer

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: