Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 24, 2014, 02:19:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arlington charging admission for fireworks  (Read 7012 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »

Last year they did not kick everyone out. They only cleared out the reserved seats

Quibbling. Last year was clearly two different events: The racing, followed by a breathing space, followed by letting people in for the fireworks. We even discussed it on this forum, for how much more player friendly it was, separating the two.

So yes there was a combination racing/fireworks option for those that chose to stay.

For those who chose to hang around all that time from the usual 1:05 start, or whatever it was. Totally different from this year.

Therefore the product hasn't really changed from 08 to 09

I'm sorry, but you are wrong, and just arguing for arguing's sake.

and thus by your previous definition of gouging in the Father's Day thread, this would be gouging.

No, it wouldn't. Even if your definition of what constitutes the day is correct, admission for the whole affair last year was $7, and this year it is $5. That's anti-gouging.

I'm just pointing out the conveninet flip-flopping you do on here.

No, you're not, you're fabricating linkages that simply do not exist. You're just arguing for arguing's sake.

I'm going to have to start calling you ClockerKerry.

Call me anything you'd like. Cheap namecalling and personal attacks are a well established facet of your argumentation persona.
Report to moderator   Logged
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »

Call me anything you'd like. Cheap namecalling and personal attacks are a well established facet of your argumentation persona.

And yours too.  Wink

Or do I need to post more quotes to remind you of that?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:24 PM »

And yours too.  Wink

Or do I need to post more quotes to remind you of that?

I call names and sling insults when others start it first. If you stick to discussing the ideas, you'll find I'm doing it, too.
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 05:43:50 AM »

I call names and sling insults when others start it first. If you stick to discussing the ideas, you'll find I'm doing it, too.

Another lie. Or do you need me to post more quotes to remind you of that again too?
General Powell

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 08:12:16 AM »

Furlong

Your memory is better than mine--I had forgotten about the dog races. As for Terry, if you told him that the sun first appears each morning from the east, he would find cause to disagree.

As an employee I think the plan for the 4th is terrific. We will still have crowd control issues but hopefully fewer than before. And remember, kids 17 and under will still be free (with paying adults)--Closing the box office and the parking lot at 7:30 means everyone sees at least two races, so we might even create a fan or two.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »

As for Terry, if you told him that the sun first appears each morning from the east, he would find cause to disagree.

I must jump in and disagree with you a bit here, and point out that I only point out things that need pointing out. It's not disagreeing for disagreeing's sake, it's "pointing out". That there are so many things needing pointing out is a testament to the other posters, not me.
General Powell

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »

Special alert to Clockerterry

I am not sure where you are today, but at Arlington we had 32,602 people who were pleasantly "gouged" for $10 each ( except for the over 8000 who were wise enough to purchase on line and save $3.) We treated them to wonderful weather, family day activities that did not end till the last race, a performance by the Jersey Boy's Frankie Valle actor and 11 exciting races. Many wanted information for purchasing seats for both the 4th and Million day. With nearly every teller window manned, lines 20 deep were the rule. Hopefully Earl Sande's friend at Quad City can get us the live handle so we can torpedo Clocker's handle  statements before he makes them. Combined with the Mother's Day crowd we gouged approximately 60,000 people , most of whom anxiously awaiting to return next year, hopefully sooner.

Life can be a *** when they track you don't like shows that they DO know what their doing.  Come back for the 4th Clocker, before all the tickets are gone.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 10:01:18 PM »

I am not sure where you are today, but at Arlington we had 32,602 people who were pleasantly "gouged" for $10 each ( except for the over 8000 who were wise enough to purchase on line and save $3.) We treated them to wonderful weather, family day activities that did not end till the last race, a performance by the Jersey Boy's Frankie Valle actor and 11 exciting races. Many wanted information for purchasing seats for both the 4th and Million day. With nearly every teller window manned, lines 20 deep were the rule. Hopefully Earl Sande's friend at Quad City can get us the live handle so we can torpedo Clocker's handle  statements before he makes them. Combined with the Mother's Day crowd we gouged approximately 60,000 people , most of whom anxiously awaiting to return next year, hopefully sooner.

Life can be a *** when they track you don't like shows that they DO know what their doing.  Come back for the 4th Clocker, before all the tickets are gone.

Hell, General, Terry don't need no stinkin ticket!  He is a big time horse owner, don'tcha know! He can get in free any time he wants.  Anyhow, it is easier to sit on his mountaintop and vent about things he does not know anything about, instead of showing up and confronting the real facts.

Nice job today, General! 
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »

I am not sure where you are today, but at Arlington we had 32,602 people who were pleasantly "gouged" for $10 each

Hey. That's great.

In case you had trouble reading, I said about six times during this thread that I DO NOT THINK CHARGING FOR THE 4TH IS GOUGING, so please take the gouging comments to the right thread.

Hopefully Earl Sande's friend at Quad City can get us the live handle so we can torpedo Clocker's handle  statements before he makes them.

Once again, another troll attributing future statements to people that they didn't make.  doh And, by the way, again, this is a 4th of July thread, not a father's Day thread, so please quit interrupting it with cowardly off topic nonsense.

Life can be a *** when they track you don't like shows that they DO know what their doing.

How was that proved? Did you have a massive betting day? That's what pays purses and puts better quality horses on the tracks.

Come back for the 4th Clocker, before all the tickets are gone.

Sorry. I already have rodeo tickets.

These last few summers out of state have been quite eye opening. Racing, it turns out, is just another entertainment option you visit every once in awhile. Not something you have to be slavishly addicted to, with frequent visits and a fear if you don't go today you might miss that one big special bet, not to mention the constant aggravation of nickle and dime admission, program, and concession costs. There's a whole other world of things to do! I'll be very happy all summer with my few visits to little tracks in the west, and won't miss racing at Arlington or anywhere else at all when I'm not there. One night at Emerald, or an afternoon at Billings, will be far more entertaining than 26 straight boring weekends of same old, same old at Arlington, and I'll see some new ground and people, to boot.

thumbs down to corporate, industrial racing.   
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »

Hell, General, Terry don't need no stinkin ticket!  He is a big time horse owner, don'tcha know! He can get in free any time he wants.  Anyhow, it is easier to sit on his mountaintop and vent about things he does not know anything about, instead of showing up and confronting the real facts.

There's the pile on argument troll again.  doh

Argue, argue, argue!
General Powell

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 07:33:19 AM »

Hey. That's great.

In case you had trouble reading, I said about six times during this thread that I DO NOT THINK CHARGING FOR THE 4TH IS GOUGING, so please take the gouging comments to the right thread.

Enough people spoke about gouging that this is an appropriate location to bring it up.   The two best crowds so far this year were at higher prices. It is true that those attending were not regular fans. You see how many regular fans we really have when you come on a Saturday when 5K claimers dominate--not too many unfortunately. So to be successful, at least in this part of the country you need to do other things. I remember growing up watching the commercials for the Cubs. Baseball was never mentioned--They sold the park--in fact the only reference to the Cubs was when the commercial said you could also see a major league ballgame (obviously in the 50's, a reference to the other team.) So you went to the park and knew you were having a good time.

Same with AP--You may not like what they do, but it keeps racing (at this track) viable.  Plus isn't part of the original idea of Capitalism to work and price by supply and demand. On Wednesdays admission, simulcast seats and food will all be greatly reduced, hopefully to encourage people.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »

There's the pile on argument troll again.  doh

Argue, argue, argue!

When I respond, I am piling on by expressing my differing opinion?  To pile on, there must already be a group there sitting on top of you.  I will work harder to be the first one to jump on you so I will not be "piling" on.  Of course, there is no one to pile on when there is no one to start an argument.  Ever try that, Terry?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »

When I respond, I am piling on by expressing my differing opinion?  To pile on, there must already be a group there sitting on top of you.  I will work harder to be the first one to jump on you so I will not be "piling" on.  Of course, there is no one to pile on when there is no one to start an argument.  Ever try that, Terry?

Well, let's review, shall we?

This thread was about the 4th of July, and had not had a post in it since June 19. It was dead and stinkin'. That is, UNTIL the General piped up with some taunts about Father's Day, and you pipe up with a useless personal insult aimed at me, which was not a "differing opinion" at all, but "Hell, General, Terry don't need no stinkin ticket!  He is a big time horse owner, don'tcha know! He can get in free any time he wants.  Anyhow, it is easier to sit on his mountaintop and vent about things he does not know anything about, instead of showing up and confronting the real facts."

Sorry man, it was you and the General that started this particular round of argument. In the General's case, he actually had something to say, but all you did was sling an insult adding nothing to the discussion, because you just like to argue, argue, argue. It's all you do, argument boy!
General Powell

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »

Terry

Previous comments in the thread made reference to mothers/fathers day so I though it was fair game. I do not think, however, that , if I am off topic, it makes my comments any less accurate.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »

Terry

Previous comments in the thread made reference to mothers/fathers day so I though it was fair game. I do not think, however, that , if I am off topic, it makes my comments any less accurate.

For purposes of the comment to APCD Dan, it makes no difference. The thread was dead two days, you brought it back, and APCD Dan immediately piled on with name calling to a (at the time) non-existent argument. It's no wonder some people always find themselves involved in arguments, when they're continually starting them like that.
arizonadave

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:44 AM »

Dont forget the 4th of July at Fort Tuthill in the cool pines of Flagstaff. Plus the oldest Rodeo in the country during the same time in Prescott. Its a big party, but i will be in Chicago july 2nd to the 10th to visit family. Balmoral here i come, plus a little Arlington too.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »

I am not sure where you are today, but at Arlington we had 32,602 people who were pleasantly "gouged" for $10 each

It must have been hard on them, as it turns out they only bet a little over $30 each (and then didn't show up the next Sunday.)

Father's Day live on track handle reports in at just a shade under $1,000,000. $30 per capita: Not considered a real good number by industry standards.
General Powell

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »

For purposes of the comment to APCD Dan, it makes no difference. The thread was dead two days, you brought it back, and APCD Dan immediately piled on with name calling to a (at the time) non-existent argument. It's no wonder some people always find themselves involved in arguments, when they're continually starting them like that.
This time it had been dead for a week.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »

This time it had been dead for a week.

Well, since other people talked about Father's Day in this thread, it was fair game, and really the only appropriate place to report previously unreported Father's Day news. I'm sure you understand.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »

been there - done that! about 5 or 6 times. I'm done with AP Fireworks. My brother bought some fireworks and we're having a private show. God Bless America, even you Democrats.

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »

Jeez, I am so happy fireworks are finally banned in most of California.

Too many kids getting hurt, too much money going up in smoke.

Too many miserable animals.

There are many other things one can do to celebrate.  Why make all that noise, and especially in these times, waste all that money?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2009, 07:44:48 AM »

Jeez, I am so happy fireworks are finally banned in most of California.

Too many kids getting hurt, too much money going up in smoke.

Too many miserable animals.

There are many other things one can do to celebrate.  Why make all that noise, and especially in these times, waste all that money?

Not to worry. AP is rolling in the dough after nicking the 32,602 (minus 8,000 online pre-orders) that extra $3 for Father's Day.
The_Knight_Sky

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 05:17:55 PM »

I just want to wish you fine folks.

flag Happy Independence Day ! 

The travels and travails of a 25 year racing  fan: http://www.theknightskyracing.blogspot.com
General Powell

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2009, 08:11:41 AM »

Well folks- the day has arrived. I will be leaving for work within the hour--Hopefully I will be home before Midnight. I hope people don't show up en masse when the gates open-- They will have a long time to drink if they do.
Fiddler

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »

I'll be there too General Powell, I'll try to make sure I take a good look at the crowd size, I'm sure there will be endless debates in the next few days over how many people actually were at AP "getting gouged"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: