Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 20, 2014, 03:31:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arlington charging admission for fireworks  (Read 6906 times)
APCD Dan

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2009, 02:54:21 PM »

Janine has the press release up on this, but I wanted to beat Terry with the obvious reply post on it.  It will be $5 at the gate and $3 online.  The change was made because the races start late and the whole day is considered as one show now.  I don't know how they will differentiate the race fan price, $7-$5, from the fireworks fan at the lesser price.  Also will they charge people at the parking lot gate or the stadium gate?

Ok, Terry, rant away.  Fireworks at Arlington because of it disturbing the horses, has always been an annual topic for you.  Now you have Arlington being greedy and charging Biff and Buffy for the fireworks show to complain about.  Have fun!
Report to moderator   Logged
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »

I don't know how they will differentiate the race fan price, $7-$5, from the fireworks fan at the lesser price.  Also will they charge people at the parking lot gate or the stadium gate?

Dan, went online and it looks like the $5 at the gate and $3 online is for the entire day. Essentially discounted day of races for the racing fan and a cost to the "Biffs and Buffy's" of the world.

To be honest, not sure why it is such a big deal. Last time I checked, the White Sox didn't open up their stadium for free after a game on their fireworks nights.
Joe B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »

the white sox dont host the city's annual 4th of july fireworks show....AP hosts arlington heights' show....
Horse Voice

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:04:25 PM »

the white sox dont host the city's annual 4th of july fireworks show....AP hosts arlington heights' show....

Bad comparison, then.

Chicago pays for it's fireworks show largely from the tax on Taste of Chicago ticket sales. (Or so they claim.)

Does Arlington Heights pay the full cost of the fireworks show at AP? If not, then AP should charge something -- you don't think the fireworks companies are just *giving* the stuff away as an act of patriotism, do you?

And if you want "free", you can always go down to the Chicago lakefront for their show...wedged in with 800 zillion of your closest new friends.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »

I hate it they do fireworks near any barns.  Hate it. 

And with the economy the way it is, why blow money up in smoke?   They could use it a different way to celebrate, and the horses would be happy too.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »

Janine has the press release up on this, but I wanted to beat Terry with the obvious reply post on it.  It will be $5 at the gate and $3 online.  The change was made because the races start late and the whole day is considered as one show now.  I don't know how they will differentiate the race fan price, $7-$5, from the fireworks fan at the lesser price.  Also will they charge people at the parking lot gate or the stadium gate?

Ok, Terry, rant away.  Fireworks at Arlington because of it disturbing the horses, has always been an annual topic for you.  Now you have Arlington being greedy and charging Biff and Buffy for the fireworks show to complain about.  Have fun!

You are the one ranting. Get a grip on yourself APCD Dan!

They should charge the people who come late just for fireworks. It's a racetrack not a city park. The charge should be $10 a head, and $3 to park. Then share then loot with the horsemen who have to pay the vets to tranquilize their horses that day.
Thomas Graham

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »

From what I understand - the Village of AH pays nothing for the fireworks show, so the Sox comparison is perfectly valid.
General Powell

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »

If the Village of Arlington Heights considers the AP show to be "theirs", then they should either pay for it or start supporting the idea of slots at the track. I find very few Arlington Heights people attending the place (regularly) as it is.

For 3 dollars on line you get ten races, simulcasting, various activities for all ages-- and those 17 and under are still free. Parking is also free (unless the guest chooses a paid option.) Thanks to the IRB and Maywood for allowing the late starting time. It should be one terrific "Red, White, and Blue" day.
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:05:44 PM »

You are the one ranting. Get a grip on yourself APCD Dan!

They should charge the people who come late just for fireworks. It's a racetrack not a city park. The charge should be $10 a head, and $3 to park. Then share then loot with the horsemen who have to pay the vets to tranquilize their horses that day.

What, now you are advocating "gouging"?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »

What, now you are advocating "gouging"?

Sure, for people who are coming to the track for nothing to do with horse racing and/or betting on it. It's a racetrack, not a city park. Watching fireworks does nothing to support the purse fund and make Chicago racing better. If people are coming for Father's Day just to goof off, charge them $25, too.

"Will that be betting, or non-betting, sir?"

P.S. furlong - Just to judge the level of gouging ... what's the regular AP fireworks price, versus that day?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:43:35 PM by clockerterry » Report to moderator   Logged
nwaryas

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 04:11:11 AM »

Racing at Arlington Park won't start until 4:00 pm on July 3rd.
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »

Sure, for people who are coming to the track for nothing to do with horse racing and/or betting on it. It's a racetrack, not a city park. Watching fireworks does nothing to support the purse fund and make Chicago racing better. If people are coming for Father's Day just to goof off, charge them $25, too.

"Will that be betting, or non-betting, sir?"

P.S. furlong - Just to judge the level of gouging ... what's the regular AP fireworks price, versus that day?

The article said $5 at the gate at $3 online, and if the other posters are correct about the Village not paying for the Fireworks at all, it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to want to charge to offset the costs. I have no idea what a fireworks display costs, but surely it has to be five figures.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »

The article said $5 at the gate at $3 online, and if the other posters are correct about the Village not paying for the Fireworks at all, it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to want to charge to offset the costs. I have no idea what a fireworks display costs, but surely it has to be five figures.

You're right, it doesn't seem unreasonable at all to charge for fireworks, that's what I said. Fireworks aren't the central business of the place, have no wagering and thus no takeout associated with them, and do nothing to build up purses. IMHO they should charge more for the fireworks only looky-loos, for contributing to scaring the horses (AP's REAL business) to death, and apply that money to the vet bills that get incurred on the backside due to the fireworks show. You and APCD Dan seem to casting about for an argument where there is none. I think you two just like to argue.
Horse Voice

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »

...scaring the horses (AP's REAL business)...

Cheesy

I love a good Freudian slip...at least, I THINK it was accidental.
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »

You're right, it doesn't seem unreasonable at all to charge for fireworks, that's what I said. Fireworks aren't the central business of the place, have no wagering and thus no takeout associated with them, and do nothing to build up purses. IMHO they should charge more for the fireworks only looky-loos, for contributing to scaring the horses (AP's REAL business) to death, and apply that money to the vet bills that get incurred on the backside due to the fireworks show. You and APCD Dan seem to casting about for an argument where there is none. I think you two just like to argue.

Not looking for an argument, just pointing out your convenient contradictions, that's all.

Using your reasoning this time round the $10 at the gate price for Father's Day could be justified because of the extra clean-up expenses incurred to having a 20,000 plus crowd at the track. But you quickly dismissed it as price gouging.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »

They should have charged years ago, its a tuff economy and if you want to see these fireworks either pay or go some where else!!  light bulb
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:43:19 AM »

Not looking for an argument, just pointing out your convenient contradictions, that's all.

Using your reasoning this time round the $10 at the gate price for Father's Day could be justified because of the extra clean-up expenses incurred to having a 20,000 plus crowd at the track. But you quickly dismissed it as price gouging.

Your are correct on this.  Terry talks out of both sides of his mouth on these things.  He needs to spend more time at the county fairs and tending to whatever plants he is growing out there.  When he is not on the scene, his thinking gets fuzzy and out of touch and he gets confused about what he complained about before.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »

BS. You're creating an argument. It's what you do. Argue, argue, argue. You love to argue.

That's price gouging because it's a higher price than usual, for nothing special. At least the fireworks show has something out of the ordinary. I've yet to learn from you, though, how my suggested fireworks-only looky-loo price (not racing patron price, who came at the beginning of the day) is price gouging. What's the usual day-to-day fireworks show price at AP, vs. this 4th of July show? 
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »

Your are correct on this.  Terry talks out of both sides of his mouth on these things.  He needs to spend more time at the county fairs and tending to whatever plants he is growing out there.  When he is not on the scene, his thinking gets fuzzy and out of touch and he gets confused about what he complained about before.

There's good old APCD Dan again, jumping in someone else's discussion with his school marm comments about what other people should and should not post, trying to create an argument again, after his initial attempt flopped. It's rather unfortunate he likes to argue so much. He needs to spend more time down by the paddock and hopefully maybe post something that's actually about the racing program at his beloved Arlington, instead of always looking for a fight about what he thinks other people might post.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 11:19:34 PM »

Cheesy

I love a good Freudian slip...at least, I THINK it was accidental.

Try "horses, AP's real business"
Horse Voice

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »

Try "horses, AP's real business"

Ah, for the love of missing punctuation.

My buddy's girlfriend missed a period once, and (most any punch line will do here).
orioles

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 06:59:20 AM »

Huh On fathers day Churchill Downs  is charging normal price. $ 3.00 cash at the gate $1.00 if you have a TSC card. Why is AP the most expensive CDI owned track ,and the Col. wants to know why attendance is down 20%. Lower the prices and get people into the track and forget this on-line savings crap. AP is becoming less customer friendly.
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 07:03:11 AM »

BS. You're creating an argument. It's what you do. Argue, argue, argue. You love to argue.

That's price gouging because it's a higher price than usual, for nothing special. At least the fireworks show has something out of the ordinary. I've yet to learn from you, though, how my suggested fireworks-only looky-loo price (not racing patron price, who came at the beginning of the day) is price gouging. What's the usual day-to-day fireworks show price at AP, vs. this 4th of July show? 

I have yet to learn from you the difference between the 2008 Free Fireworks after Racing and the 2009 $3/$5 Fireworks after Racing that justifies the price increase. The same as the 2008 Fathers Day for $6/$7 versus the 2009 Firework for $7/$10. I'm all for them charging, but you seem very confused in your justifications of "gouging".  

You are the one who likes to argue as evidenced by a recent post of yours where you claimed to be "trying to rile up the Arlington huggers". I'm just point out another irregularity in your posts.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »

I have yet to learn from you the difference between the 2008 Free Fireworks after Racing and the 2009 $3/$5 Fireworks after Racing that justifies the price increase. The same as the 2008 Fathers Day for $6/$7 versus the 2009 Firework for $7/$10. I'm all for them charging, but you seem very confused in your justifications of "gouging".  

Last year they kicked everyone out of the park after racing, so there wasn't any combination racing/fireworks admission, that's one  difference. The charge this year is for the fine racing program, that's another. Combination day of racing, bands, and fireworks for one low price. Whole different product from last year. OTOH, the Father's Day product will be no different than the product of any other Sunday.

I'm still unclear on what "gouging" you think I favor, because I haven't said anything about gouging in relationship to the admission/fireworks charge. That seems to be a fabrication of yours and APCD Dan's that you're desperately trying to hang on me. 

You are the one who likes to argue

You're arguing right now, trying to make your very weak and flawed point.

I'm just point out another irregularity in your posts.

What irregularity? You're fabricating any irregularity. I haven't called the racing/fireworks admission gouging. The $5 admission for the regular customers is less than $7, so how can it be gouging? Are you claiming charging anything at all for fireworks for the people who come late and aren't racing customers is gouging? If so, that's you furlong claiming it, not me. They're not regular racing customers, and AP isn't in the fireworks business, so who cares. Gouging is gouging your regulars.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:20:38 AM by clockerterry » Report to moderator   Logged
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 10:46:25 PM »

Last year they kicked everyone out of the park after racing, so there wasn't any combination racing/fireworks admission, that's one  difference. The charge this year is for the fine racing program, that's another. Combination day of racing, bands, and fireworks for one low price. Whole different product from last year. OTOH, the Father's Day product will be no different than the product of any other Sunday.

I'm still unclear on what "gouging" you think I favor, because I haven't said anything about gouging in relationship to the admission/fireworks charge. That seems to be a fabrication of yours and APCD Dan's that you're desperately trying to hang on me. 

You're arguing right now, trying to make your very weak and flawed point.

What irregularity? You're fabricating any irregularity. I haven't called the racing/fireworks admission gouging. The $5 admission for the regular customers is less than $7, so how can it be gouging? Are you claiming charging anything at all for fireworks for the people who come late and aren't racing customers is gouging? If so, that's you furlong claiming it, not me. They're not regular racing customers, and AP isn't in the fireworks business, so who cares. Gouging is gouging your regulars.

Last year they did not kick everyone out. They only cleared out the reserved seats, so therefore, anyone who purchased a racing GA could stay and watch the fireworks. So yes there was a combination racing/fireworks option for those that chose to stay. I had a box for racing, stuck around for the fireworks and enjoyed the dachshund races they had between racing and fireworks. Therefore the product hasn't really changed from 08 to 09, and thus by your previous definition of gouging in the Father's Day thread, this would be gouging. I'm just pointing out the conveninet flip-flopping you do on here. I'm going to have to start calling you ClockerKerry.

By your reasoning, any minor adjustment in the day can justify a price change. Therefore, the fact that the Jersey Boys are performing at the track on Father's Day would be grounds for a reasonable change in pricing.

I'm all for them charging for fireworks, and if they feel there is demand to charge more for Father's Day, I support them in that too. Mother's Day would seem to suggest that there was. No gouging there, just a business doing what is best to manage demand for a product. It's simple economics. Plus by offering customers an opportunity to purchase tickets at the normal price, there really is no grounds for the gouging claim.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: