Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 09:04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this make you sick!!!!  (Read 868 times)
JSmith12

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »

Guy had $700 to win on Mine That Bird, and lost the ticket. Ouch  doh

After hearing this at the track, made me feel a lil better after losing my ass haha.
Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »

Guy had $700 to win on Mine That Bird, and lost the ticket. Ouch  doh

After hearing this at the track, made me feel a lil better after losing my ass haha.

Well, you're not going to feel better after reading this.

I called a friend who works for one of the tote companies and asked what they would / could do about such a thing. His first thought was to do a scan and pinpoint where / when such a wager might have been made, and whether the ticket was cashed. His opinion was that a $700 win bet was an odd amount and would stick out like a sore thumb.

Long story short: no such wager recorded, at least not in any U.S. tote system.

Someone is pulling your leg.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »

He may have had 70 $10 win tickets.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

Or ten $70 win tickets. Or two $350 win tickets. Or 350 $2 tickets.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »

Well the  point was that a $700 win ticket is going to be much harder to track than 70 $10 win tickets, perhaps bet over the period of 30 min, or an hour, or a day. And that anyone betting a 50-1 shot would  probably bet it in increments of $10 to avoid the IRS (is that right? If you bet $20 would you have to sign? It's not 300-1 though).
Horse Voice

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »

How do you lose [x number of] win tickets? And if you are that dumb, where did you get the $700 in the first place.

Anyway, that's not what the original poster wrote -- he said that some guy bet $700 and lost "the ticket", one ticket, singular. Sounds like a BS story to me.
JSmith12

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »

Well horsevoice, if you want to be a damn smartass do it brother. But, I'm just telling you what i heard, and get a good laugh from it dude.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »

And he lost them all.

It could have happened.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:27:18 PM »

Right! Earl knows what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Horse Voice

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »

Well horsevoice, if you want to be a damn smartass do it brother. But, I'm just telling you what i heard, and get a good laugh from it dude.

Why would you think I'm being a smartass? Such a story can be easily verified (or rejected), if we know some of the details.

What I am telling *you* is that if the story you heard is "$700 to win on Mine That Bird, one ticket, then the dude lost the ticket"...it's bullshit.
bjchapin1

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »

...it's bullshit.

I'm with HV on this one...sort of like how I "had" the superfecta yesterday, but got shut out at the window. But hey, the stories, true or otherwise, are one of the great parts of the game, no?
DOMINO WEST

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »

Well the  point was that a $700 win ticket is going to be much harder to track than 70 $10 win tickets, perhaps bet over the period of 30 min, or an hour, or a day. And that anyone betting a 50-1 shot would  probably bet it in increments of $10 to avoid the IRS (is that right? If you bet $20 would you have to sign? It's not 300-1 though).

He wouldn't have to sign but many once a year players wouldn't know that.
General Powell

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »

Let me tell you what happened to me-- With the horses starting to load for the Derby two attractive but not very bright ladies approached me. They said they had thrown out a rather large wagering voucher in a garbage can on the apron: would I come down and monitor their search through the garbage bad.

Realizing that the guest is always right, even when dead wrong, we went down and searched the bag, while every other person and horse at the track was watching the Derby. The good news is that the voucher was found, well soaked in Miller, but still legible. Everyone around there was in shock over the result, and I had to ask people who won--.

At least when I got home, I found that my wife took my advice to hit the all button on her TS acct, so all ended OK.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »

You are one good employee!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:08:58 PM »

I'm with HV on this one...sort of like how I "had" the superfecta yesterday, but got shut out at the window. But hey, the stories, true or otherwise, are one of the great parts of the game, no?

Nothing is more annoying than someone shoving their losing ticket in your face.  How they "almost" won.  There are two guys that do that all day long. Half the time I didn't even bet the race so I don't even know what the ticket is all about.  I just say..."Bummer" and go about my handicapping, but I wish they'd knock it off.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: