Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 01:06:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT Swine Flu  (Read 2319 times)
Old and Slow

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »

Making a lot of news today.

Now, we know there are scores of Mexicans (and other Hispanics) on the backside at Maywood and Balmoral.  Legal or not is not the issue at this time. How much coming and going between these tracks and Mexico is there? How much contact from recent visitees to Mexico? I'm sure there is some.

I don't know and can't speak to the situation at the tbred tracks.

My question is: who, if anyone, will take a proactive approach to watching for swine flu symptoms on the backstretch?  Will the IRB take the lead? Will the track owners? The IHHA?

Will racetracks across America become hotbeds for the virus? Not to scare anyone, but is anybody in control thinking about this?

Report to moderator   Logged

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Edwarren

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »

I think the swine flu "epidemic" is manufactured bullshit.
JSmith12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »

Your exactly right Edwarren, it is a bunch of bullshit. I mean there portraying the "flu" to be like a disease that will likely kill you. I mean its the flu people, its something that happens around this time, in another month it will be over with. That's why I don't watch the news cuss they overexaggerate everything, and im sick and tired of it.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »

It  has killed some people, but they never say who those people are - are they all 90 years old? Do they already have problems, like lung diseases or cancer or something?

You can count on one thing - somebody is making money off of this flu scare.
Lockjaw

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »

In 1976,

"The only recorded fatality from swine flu itself was the unfortunate Pvt. Lewis."

Taken from:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/03/dayintech_0324

JSmith12

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »

How many people did it kill? Did it turn into an epidemic?
Mo Doc N

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »

Seeing how horses and humans take medications that are relatively the same it only makes sense this could turn into a real problem for the horse as well. The news outlets are here to inform the masses albeit dirty laundry or illness that could doom the society. "Dont' hate the player ~ hate the game"
I would be very worried and probably take percautions ~ washing your hands frequently might be an option.
As far as the horses maybe consult your local vet on what may help prevent sickness in general.  JMO
Jeepers

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »

Making a lot of news today.

Now, we know there are scores of Mexicans (and other Hispanics) on the backside at Maywood and Balmoral.  Legal or not is not the issue at this time. How much coming and going between these tracks and Mexico is there? How much contact from recent visitees to Mexico? I'm sure there is some.

I don't know and can't speak to the situation at the tbred tracks.

My question is: who, if anyone, will take a proactive approach to watching for swine flu symptoms on the backstretch?  Will the IRB take the lead? Will the track owners? The IHHA?

Will racetracks across America become hotbeds for the virus? Not to scare anyone, but is anybody in control thinking about this?

The question to ask seems to be, How recently were the Mexicans (and other Hispanics) actually in Mexico?
sleepless

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:53:11 PM »

From the Center For Diasese Control website

Cancer is potentially one of the most preventable and curable life-threatening diseases. In 2002, an estimated 11 million people were diagnosed with cancer, and nearly 7 million people died of cancer worldwide. By 2020, more than 16 million new cancer cases and 10 million deaths are expected However, more than 25 million people are surviving for years after a cancer diagnosis

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:40:30 AM by sleepless » Report to moderator   Logged
LittleOnesAttack

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:44 AM »

Here was just another flu.....

The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly Influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify the geographic origin of the virus.  Most of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients. The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920, spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that anywhere from 20 to 100 million people were killed worldwide.
Edwarren

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »

Here was just another flu.....

The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly Influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify the geographic origin of the virus.  Most of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients. The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920, spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that anywhere from 20 to 100 million people were killed worldwide.

The so-called "Spanish" Flu didn't originate in Spain. It was given that name by the Hearst Newspaper chain. The U.S. was at war with Spain for which the Hearst Newspapers, in their paper, were always banging the war drum over. So, they blamed it on Spain and named it the "Spanish Flu".

Tell us the name of anyone you know who've got this new swine flu outbreak, ok? Can you name anyone anywhere that's died from it without it being hearsay?  The medical records of someone dying from it here aren't sealed, in other words the coroners report (or whatever) is open to public scrutiny. That's why you haven't heard of anyone dying from "it" here. No one who you can name has this flu.

Has anyone heard the people behind the recent flu publicity are: the WorldHealthOrganization, the CenterForDiseaseControl, the Office of the President of Mexico, two pharmaceutical cos Glaxo and Roche, the Washington Post and the NYTimes?

Has anyone heard of horses becoming infected? With what? Can anyone name one horse with swine flu?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:29:42 PM by Edwarren » Report to moderator   Logged
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »

I find it difficult to believe that 3 separate species could contribute to a "new" virus. on the news they said it was a combination of swine, avaian and human strains.....is that even possible in nature? Doesn't seem right to me. has anyone anywhere EVER heard of that? I have tried always to avoid the giant rage against the machine conspiracy type stuff, but this thing just don't make much sense. Maybe it's just me but I have to agree with moon on this one, someone is making a lot of money from this.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Lockjaw

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »

"Until five years ago, for example, dogs were not susceptible to influenza, said Dr. Earl Brown, a professor of microbiology at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine. But the flu has since spread to canines through horses."  (page 3)

Taken from:

http://technology.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/News/ContentPosting?newsitemid=virus-mutate&feedname=CBC-TECH-SCIENCE-V3&show=False&number=0&showbyline=False&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False&pagenumber=1

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »

The so-called "Spanish" Flu didn't originate in Spain. It was given that name by the Hearst Newspaper chain. The U.S. was at war with Spain for which the Hearst Newspapers, in their paper, were always banging the war drum over. So, they blamed it on Spain and named it the "Spanish Flu".

While you are correct that the Spanish Flu did not originate in Spain - there are only theories of where it actually originated - Spain was NOT in the war.  I've never heard of your Hearst Newspapers theory either.  Is there a reliable source - I was unable to find it.

I don't know how far this is going to get but the flu of 1918 did kill between 20-40 million people.  Maybe (& probably) this sucker just fades into oblivion, like most of the others. 

The undisputed facts are these:
-There are far too many people on the planet right now.
-There are projected food shortages.
-There are projected water shortages.

Mother Nature has a way of taking care of these kinds of problems.  It is not unthinkable to me that some pandemic will wipe out 20-30% of the world's population.  I would assume that the areas that would be most affected would be in Africa & parts of Asia, due to their inability to buy their way out of a pandemic.

While I take all of these scares & warnings with a grain of salt, I also think that something eventually will be a real killer.  It would be irresponsible to ignore it completely.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
freak

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »

Anytime a virus shows the ability to mutate it causes concern. From what I'm told this virus is not particularly nasty at this point. There are more and more confirmed cases in America, but the deaths are not rolling in like some expected.

We are warned where I am to take precautions and swab all people who are clinically suspicious, or who have recent travel swouthwest, and send samples to the state lab for testing. We'll see what happens over the coming weeks.
Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »

I apologize in advance if I am missing the point that some of you are trying to make but what the hell does it matter what name they give to this virus? The important issue is how these people are getting sick. How it is spreading and in reality, what little is know or being done.

Look at the case in New York City and follow what has happened. A group of about 100 kids from St. Francis Prep take their easter break in Mexico. Thuis school has 2700 kids with a tuition of $7000 a year. It is the largest Catholic, Private high school there is. So these arent degenerate kids and the school isnt a joke.

These kids come back on a Monday and by Thursday, they are dropping in the halls. Not one or two or ten but over 100 kids. They close the school for what is supposed to be the weekend to sanatize the building but yet hold a reunion at the school any way.

People are supposed to be getting better but now the school is closed for all of this week. A public school a shlrt distance away from St. Francis is now close for Swine Flu and what is the connection. Kids from St. Francis have siblings at this public school.

People, this is a week later and for a week, all we have heard is a "couple of days"

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

“The answer to a government that’s too big is to stop feeding its growth.” - President Ronald W. Reagan
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:35 AM »

Sychiosomatic  open an empty plastic bottle in a classroom and tell the kids it contains an invisible gas that gives people headaches 
sure enough  one after another they will come to the teacher  complaining of headache  i dont give a fark if theyre  wearin halos  thats whats going to happen
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:33:29 AM by 7474505B » Report to moderator   Logged

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:42:16 AM by Moon » Report to moderator   Logged
NIATROSS

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »

A typical asinine post from LILY WHITE LOONEY MOONEY !

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »

A typical asinine post from LILY WHITE LOONEY MOONEY !

You don't make it to "ignore" without posts like that.  Please don't quote him so none of us have to look at his garbage.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

You can replace "Mexico" with "Indiana" in that picture, if you want, NIATROLL.

/It doesn't affect the joke at all.

Might even be funnier.

/Not surprised that you and Dolfan didn't get the joke, though; souless ultra right wing hacks that you are.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:33:29 PM by Moon » Report to moderator   Logged
NIATROSS

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »

You don't make it to "ignore" without posts like that.  Please don't quote him so none of us have to look at his garbage.

I apologize Dolfan.I am amazed that for as much as the anti-semite idiot looney mooney belittled the harness forum the last few yrs he sure posts here a lot.I guess the t-bred side can't stand his BS and his IDIOT posts that get zero responses either.
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »

I got it, Moon, and thought it was funny, even though I'm a souless ultra right wing hack. Grin

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

I got it, Moon, and thought it was funny, even though I'm a souless ultra right wing hack. Grin

Not ALL right wing hacks are souless, obviously!!!!

maroon
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »

People are supposed to be getting better but now the school is closed for all of this week. A public school a shlrt distance away from St. Francis is now close for Swine Flu and what is the connection. Kids from St. Francis have siblings at this public school.

People, this is a week later and for a week, all we have heard is a "couple of days"

Keep in mind that the Spanish Flu did the majority of it's killing in young adults - around 15 or 20 - 40 years old.  So high schools & universities are surely on the front lines.

Since the CDC is citing the Cytokine Storm effect as a serious consideration here too, it relates to the people who were on the front line in 1918-1919.

Today the CDC raised the level to "5" meaning a pandemic is likely or imminent.  Their view compares to the National Hurricane Center who sees a blob of clouds & pretty much knows it will develop into a hurricane within a few days.  But they don't know exactly where its going or how strong it will be.  They are rarely wrong about the forming of the "storm" but rarely correct about it's strength.

The CDC is not just pushing a panic button, IMO.  It seems to me that if anything, the media is downplaying this, which would be yet another catastrophic move by the mass media.  If there are similarities to the Spanish Flu, we might see it go dormant for several months & come back with a mighty vengeance.  If you've done any research on this then you know that if it follows that pattern, no one will be laughing - souless or not, right wing, left or in the middle.  And it may once again have the biggest effect on the healthiest of us.

I'd like to hear from some medical folks on what kind of preparations are being made.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: