Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 07:24:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Churchill Stock at or near 52 Week Low...  (Read 2084 times)
big wally

« on: November 02, 2005, 09:45:00 PM »

Is it the Management? or the hurricanes?
Report to moderator   Logged
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:14:56 PM »

Try This: Hollywood ending and also offering no Turf racing in there demise. It appears there going to start building that shopping mall 2 feet from the main track as session goes. God ain't I just a valuable piece of useless information.
First Samurai

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:29:59 PM »

could it be all the 90 year old men wearing red coats who for the 1st time in their lives have a little bit of power and instead of doing their jobs helping clueless newcomers, insist on waiting for the card to end so they can kick the real horse players out?
that's why they all rush to the men's rooms after the 8th. They want fresh diapers to keep em dry why they piss their pants ejecting the everyday players. Or maybe it's the $5 dollar beers. Or maybe the 150 year old tellers. Or maybe the families blocking every entrance or exit. Or maybe the concentration of having the kiddies faces painted while daddy goes and puts 2 bucks to show on a horse at a self service machine taking 10 mins. to do so. Or maybe all of the above!

Turn the page.......
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »

could it be all the 90 year old men wearing red coats who for the 1st time in their lives have a little bit of power and instead of doing their jobs helping clueless newcomers, insist on waiting for the card to end so they can kick the real horse players out?
that's why they all rush to the men's rooms after the 8th. They want fresh diapers to keep em dry why they piss their pants ejecting the everyday players. Or maybe it's the $5 dollar beers. Or maybe the 150 year old tellers. Or maybe the families blocking every entrance or exit. Or maybe the concentration of having the kiddies faces painted while daddy goes and puts 2 bucks to show on a horse at a self service machine taking 10 mins. to do so. Or maybe all of the above!

Kind of over-the-top, but in many cases -- VERY TRUE.

These days, management has forgotten about what creates the purse money, makes them profit, and allows racing to occur in the first place: the handle!

Gamblers need to be placed into management, if they want this game to survive.  At many tracks (not just Arlington), it's a hodge-podge of locations, machines, TVs, and mess.  They don't think about: what will allow gamblers the best environment to play?  Until they do, they're screwed.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 11:55:12 AM »

Try This: Hollywood ending and also offering no Turf racing in there demise. It appears there going to start building that shopping mall 2 feet from the main track as session goes. God ain't I just a valuable piece of useless information.

Doesn't Hollywood Park belong to that Bay Meadows Land Company now? Does Churchill have a handle-based management agreement with them to affect the stock price like that?

Calder ends next month, they don't have the Hollywood meet, and no Fair Grounds meet this year, so no money coming in except one month of Churchill and a dribble from Hoosier. Likely to be two big quarterly losses. Reason enough to depress any stock price. IMHO.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »

At many tracks (not just Arlington), it's a hodge-podge of locations, machines, TVs, and mess.  They don't think about: what will allow gamblers the best environment to play?

Most of these racetracks were designed before simulcasting, so the simulcast areas have been shoehorned in after the fact. I grant you both our local tracks could do a much better job than they have, but still they weren't simulcast facilities from the ground up.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 12:43:52 PM »

Doesn't Hollywood Park belong to that Bay Meadows Land Company now? Does Churchill have a handle-based management agreement with them to affect the stock price like that?

Calder ends next month, they don't have the Hollywood meet, and no Fair Grounds meet this year, so no money coming in except one month of Churchill and a dribble from Hoosier. Likely to be two big quarterly losses. Reason enough to depress any stock price. IMHO.
Thanks for the objective observation, I have nothing much to add, except the hurricanes reeked havoc on Calder also, both in dates lost and damage.  If the price keeps going lower, I will buy more shares.  Hey, you all know I am a Churchill man!
David

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 02:38:23 PM »

Valid point that both local tracks had to shoe-horn simulcasting in, but what it the excuse with Trackside? I know that when it was built it was still single card  simo - but it is the worst laid out OTB I've ever seen - making people sit at lunch room tables and look sideways.

There is alot of insider dumping of the stock going on, Tom Meeker mainly,  and nobody likes to see that. I think they are actually looking good on Louisiana - they were insured heavily for damage and lost business, maybe the fear is that NO will never return.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 08:08:51 AM »

Valid point that both local tracks had to shoe-horn simulcasting in, but what it the excuse with Trackside? I know that when it was built it was still single card  simo - but it is the worst laid out OTB I've ever seen - making people sit at lunch room tables and look sideways.

It was probably state of the art for simulcast/OTB when it was built.

The problem now is that since Arlington has had a monopoly on the customers of such a large geographic area for such a long time they've never had to bother to upgrade or modernize the place to compete. That's why they are so scared by that proposed OTB in Niles.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 08:12:29 AM »

It was probably state of the art for simulcast/OTB when it was built.

The problem now is that since Arlington has had a monopoly on the customers of such a large geographic area for such a long time they've never had to bother to upgrade or modernize the place to compete. That's why they are so scared by that proposed OTB in Niles.

Look at some of the bigger OTB's like Oakbrook and the dearly departed North Aurora. Those underwent modernization over the years. But Trackside today looks almost exactly the same as the first time I set foot in it. Except for the admission booths at the front doors downstairs aren't used now.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 08:13:48 AM »

That worked out weird!
David

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 09:00:02 AM »

Trackside could use updating for sure and maybe they never wanted to spend the money on it, but I would think they could do alot of things that wouldn't cost anything or next to nothing, starting with revising the layout of those lunch tables so these people aren't forced to look sideways. I would also suggest opening up all the windows and just airing that place out would be a big improvement.

And as I recall when full card started was when they came up with that bizarre configuration, thier idea was to make each one of those pods (or islands that hold the tvs) that they built a diferent track with the big tv and sound to that track and smaller tvs to just keep tabs on the rest of the tracks. As it turned out that isn't the way that people play simulcasts for the most part - yet they have stuck with it for 10 years now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: