Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 12:01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sportsman Park grandstand gone !!  (Read 3269 times)
mackfan

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »

No matter how much Balmoral, Maywood and Hawthorne try, going to those tracks just isn't the same. Nothing beat going to Sportsman's on a hot summer night and sitting in the open grandstand watching some of the best horses in the world race that would ship in for the American Nationals and Free For Alls. I hope that some day Quad Cities may again re-open. I've heard the track, grandstand, and parking lot are still there but the barn area has been sold out. Anyone think it could happen if legislation passed to help boost the racing industry?
Report to moderator   Logged
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »

No matter how much Balmoral, Maywood and Hawthorne try, going to those tracks just isn't the same. Nothing beat going to Sportsman's on a hot summer night and sitting in the open grandstand watching some of the best horses in the world race that would ship in for the American Nationals and Free For Alls. I hope that some day Quad Cities may again re-open. I've heard the track, grandstand, and parking lot are still there but the barn area has been sold out. Anyone think it could happen if legislation passed to help boost the racing industry?

Not likely on QCD. I would give it a 1 % chance. ONLY if slots were allowed.BTW, I'm a QC guy.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Sirdalrae

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »

Nothing will ever compare to sitting in the SPK grandstands in the early spring with those damn heaters that were just a tad to high up LOL. I remember one time this is no lie My uncle and I were sitting in the grandstand  and someone shouted GUN  man we all just started running over them seats to damn funny....  oh how I miss those chili dogs or the *** stand that you would hit between doubleheaders in the early 70's
Jim
race track phil

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 04:27:06 PM »

Nothing will ever compare to sitting in the SPK grandstands in the early spring with those damn heaters that were just a tad to high up LOL. I remember one time this is no lie My uncle and I were sitting in the grandstand  and someone shouted GUN  man we all just started running over them seats to damn funny....  oh how I miss those chili dogs or the *** stand that you would hit between doubleheaders in the early 70's
Jim
   Funny that you mention that Dalrae , I know it happened more than once and the 2nd time I was sitting with my Dad and he was capping and all of a sudden people were scrambling and you could hear the people running !!!  My dad calming turned the page like nothing was happening and I was afraid someone would running with the crowd might run into us !!  I told my dad get up and at least lets move to the side of the stairwell that leads downstairs for protection . He reluctantly moved .

RTP   geezer
NIATROSS

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »

I was in the grandstand main floor when that happened.I stood up against a concrete beam and watched the crowd go wild.
Sirdalrae

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 04:51:33 PM »

This is so awesome that other people remeber this
Jim
balmoral buddy

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »

Jim

It was probably just Racetrack Rosie in her cowgirl outfit. She actually had six shooters in her holsters. Knowing Rosie, they may have been real and loaded. What a character. And she made all of those outfits herself, and used to make a cake when it was one of the drivers' birthday
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »

I was there too.
People were running out onto the track.
I didn't realize what was going on so I just walked up to the teller and made my bet.
Ahhh, the good ol days at SPK.

georgie

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »

Best place ever. I looked the pictures and wanted to cry! Ok ill admit it, I did cry. Spent a lot of my youth and my 20's, 30's there and it is so sad to see
nextbonus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 04:36:08 AM »

The sights, sounds and smells of Sportsman's were one of a kind.

I was there for two "gun" incidents.  People running through the stands like crazy.  I was young and "invincible" so I just stood there and watched. 

Nothing felt as good as those hot August nights where the temp and humidity were both high.  I can still feel the sweat running down my back.  Then head downstairs between races for some A/C and a frozen ***.

I can hear Gil and his unique calls.  Clancy, Laurinda, Spyder Wright, Union Special.

Often you could tell from his calls who Gil bet.  Once Butch Paisley was driving a heavy favorite but found himself 15 lengths off the lead with just 3/8 of a mile to pace.  Gil's lament was "so much to do...so little time."

Even if he was having a bad night gambling, Gil would "get up" for the feature race.  Pacing Boy's "mojo" would be working and Song Cycle would be "going downhill, cruising!"

Sometimes change sucks.
union

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »

I raced my first  trotter horse at sportsmans in 1968  Shocked

John Blevins was my trainer  bowing

My heart breaks seeing those pictures  Bomb  Bomb
race track phil

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 01:12:16 PM »

Johnny Blevins a name from the past !!

Miles Dares -  Bengal Song -  Tight Schedule a winner where Gil first said vast improvement in a phrase after the race .

RTP
Sirdalrae

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »

http://www.harnessracing.ws/videos/Albatross_World_Record.wmv
Sirdalrae

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »

One more from spk  and you have to love those andy frain ushers lol
http://www.harnessracing.ws/videos/Isle-of-Wight.wmv
race track phil

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »

I just watched that great race !!  You know whats unique about that race Ed Byrd was in the race and I believe he never won a race in under 2.00 !!!

RTP

Thanks for the race .
nwaryas

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »

Went to Hawthorne yesterday and everything is torn down. Good riddance. It was starting to become an eye sore.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: