Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 03:28:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There not going to be able to do this this year??  (Read 3507 times)
Horse Voice

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 01:51:42 PM »

It boils down to, "If I agree with it, it's okay and obviously right, but if I don't agree with it, that's different, and other people should not tell ME what to do". It's not an unusual hypocrisy  - you see it every day in the dumb political thread. Just surprises me, coming from you, is all. You learn something every day on this forum.

You set up a paper tiger here. Your "surprise" is misguided, if you think about it a little, instead of injecting clouds of distracting and irrelevant comparisons into the discussion -- like what people think about horse racing / whipping. ("Pathetic" was a little strong, I guess, when "missed the mark" would have sufficed. A more apt comparison would have been whether we think it's OK to walk down the street and punch people in the face, with no ramifications.)   

I didn't need to rationalize anything on this issue in the first place -- some things, like not letting people throw full cans of beer at each other, transcend the idea of whether people agree with it or not (and any perceived "hypocrisy" regarding same). Doesn't matter what I, or anybody else thinks -- it falls under de minimus standard of reasonable public behavior. Such things are usually not up for discussion amongst people in organized society who have common sense.

My mistake was in trying to defend a decision by Pimlico mgmt. that required no defense whatsoever: a good decision to change their infield policy that was inherently obvious to even the most casual observer. Moon's asinine protests to the contrary, and the academic trap you set, would both have been best ignored by me.
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »

You set up a paper tiger here. Your "surprise" is misguided, if you think about it a little, instead of injecting clouds of distracting and irrelevant comparisons into the discussion -- like what people think about horse racing / whipping. ("Pathetic" was a little strong, I guess, when "missed the mark" would have sufficed. A more apt comparison would have been whether we think it's OK to walk down the street and punch people in the face, with no ramifications.)   

No, your defense at the time was the evolution of human thinking.

And, who said there's no ramifications for throwing beers at the Preakness? There should be. The bad guys should get hauled off. Instead, the entire infield crowd is being punished. That, and your defense of preventive group punishment, is the debate here, as I see it.

My mistake was in trying to defend a decision by Pimlico mgmt. that required no defense whatsoever: a good decision to change their infield policy that was inherently obvious to even the most casual observer. Moon's asinine protests to the contrary, and the academic trap you set, would both have been best ignored by me.

It was the dismissive characterization of ALL the young people in the infield that was the mistake.

Gotta run: time for Beaver!
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »

Well, then, I haven't lost it, because I didn't call you anything. I asked you a question.

Here's a better question:

Are you FOR or AGAINST people being able to throw full cans of beer at each other?

There are only two answers here: FOR or AGAINST.

No, this discussion is whether or not somebody should be allowed to walk on top of port-a-potties knowing that they will have beers thrown at them, some maybe full cans, most half full or less cans.

What are you, a f**king idiot?

/Apparently, that's not calling somebody a name, it's just asking a question.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »

Except, that's not being discussed here.

Why? That's more dangerous than this!! Somebody could get seriously hurt!!
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »

Hopefully no volleyballs end up on the track in the middle of a race this year.
Horse Voice

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »

No, this discussion is whether or not somebody should be allowed to walk on top of port-a-potties knowing that they will have beers thrown at them, some maybe full cans, most half full or less cans.

What are you, a f**king idiot?

/Apparently, that's not calling somebody a name, it's just asking a question.

No, I'm not a f**king idiot. (See how simple that was, instead of getting your *** in a wad?)

We can go with your description of the discussion, fine with me.

So, what's your answer, Moon: should people be allowed to walk on top of port-a-potties knowing that they will have beers thrown at them, some maybe full cans, most half full or less cans?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »

Wait - this discussion is about throwing beers at people who are running the top of the port-potties and know damn well what that means, as opposed to what I thought I read earlier about people having a reasonable expectation of going to a sporting event and not getting hit by a can of beer, like, you know, the families with little kids, and old ladies who picnic out there, and so on?

Let's keep people from running with the bulls while we're at it, they might get hurt.

I give up. Done. Finito. doh

PS - Eddie Haskell misused his credit card today, and everyone learned their lesson. Apparently it didn't sink in, though.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »

I agree with HV that the stopping of this infield practice is a good idea and whatever can be done to stop the effects of the drinking by the young is a good thing too.  Having drunken infield celebrations at both the Derby and the Preakness really add nothing to horse racing.  I don't think they really substract from our woeful image either.  It would just be nice if people attended the event because they are interested in the event.  Yes, some just like to party, whatever the occassion.  To me, they can do it somewhere else.

Also, there is no need to make an intellectual exercise out of this topic or any topic on this board.  These are just feelings or ideas being presented.  There are holes in all arguments made on any side.  There are no argument winnners or any need for long drawn out debates to prove a point.  It seems that many of us just want the last word.  Not everything has to be a debate no matter how much we love to debate.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »

I agree with HV that the stopping of this infield practice is a good idea and whatever can be done to stop the effects of the drinking by the young is a good thing too.

The discussion wasn't about underage drinking, APCD Dan. HV specified 20-somethings. That means they are legal.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »

18yr olds should be allowed to drink
Horse Voice

« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »

Also, there is no need to make an intellectual exercise out of this topic or any topic on this board.  These are just feelings or ideas being presented.  There are holes in all arguments made on any side.  There are no argument winnners or any need for long drawn out debates to prove a point.  It seems that many of us just want the last word.  Not everything has to be a debate no matter how much we love to debate.

Really? What about a piece of string? How long should a piece of string be? More than 1 foot, but less than 2?

Dan, I just don't understand this sort of commentary; if I extend your logic a bit, then we find that there is no need for this forum. I suppose the argument can be further extended that there is no need for the Internet, either.

All of these points are moot, of course: we debate, argue, cajole, etc., because we can, or we feel like it. No reason is necessary...nor are artificial limits on how long a post, thread, or debate should be. (Unless Janine were to impose such limits on what is her forum  Wink, not yours.) 
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »

No, I'm not a f**king idiot. (See how simple that was, instead of getting your *** in a wad?)

We can go with your description of the discussion, fine with me.

So, what's your answer, Moon: should people be allowed to walk on top of port-a-potties knowing that they will have beers thrown at them, some maybe full cans, most half full or less cans?

Yes.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »

Really? What about a piece of string? How long should a piece of string be? More than 1 foot, but less than 2?

thumbs up
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »

The discussion wasn't about underage drinking, APCD Dan. HV specified 20-somethings. That means they are legal.

OK, I guess the purpose of this forum is to argue after all.  No, Terry, I did not mention under-age drinking.  I mentioned drinking by young people which to people my age are 20-somethings.  Thus, on this point, you are wrong!  Are we having fun yet?
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

Dan, I just don't understand this sort of commentary; if I extend your logic a bit, then we find that there is no need for this forum. I suppose the argument can be further extended that there is no need for the Internet, either.

All of these points are moot, of course: we debate, argue, cajole, etc., because we can, or we feel like it. No reason is necessary...nor are artificial limits on how long a post, thread, or debate should be. (Unless Janine were to impose such limits on what is her forum  Wink, not yours.) 

OK, as I just said to Terry, I guess we love to argue.  That is what this forum is all about.  Pointless arguing!  Senseless arguing that goes on and on, rambles and rambles, twisting and turning each point, playing gotcha, interpreting and misinterpreting, and eventually getting personal.

It is not for an exchange of ideas or the spreading of information or just plain socializing.  We are a debating club, pure and simple.  Debating that goes on and on until someone gives up.

I have tried to change the tone of my postings or ignore some of the long ramblings but I see I was wrong.  We are here for the verbal jousting.  I shall keep that in mind in future postings.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »

OK, I guess the purpose of this forum is to argue after all.  No, Terry, I did not mention under-age drinking.  I mentioned drinking by young people which to people my age are 20-somethings.  Thus, on this point, you are wrong!  Are we having fun yet?

I was hoping it wasn't so, and even gave you an out, but alas.

"Whatever can be done to stop the effects of the drinking by the young is a good thing too".

These young adults are of legal age in every respect, APCD Dan. They can make their own decisions about their lives in every regard, and have the right to do so. They don't "need our help". Damn, the nanny state mentality its totally out of control!

You flunk, APCD Dan.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »

OK, as I just said to Terry, I guess we love to argue.  That is what this forum is all about.  Pointless arguing!

Pshaw. Sometimes it's about waxing sentimental about the sweet dairy air of Arlington, too. Posting news about Illinois racing. Posting pictures from the track or some other track. Or talking about the show "Jockeys", or jockey ET Baird. Announcing contests at OTB's. Running polls/discussions on luck or skill. Discussing/arguing the racing news. Dissing the Cubs, as well they deserve. Whatever people want to post about, pretty much, up until you offend Janine.

So post away on interesting subjects, Dan, we're broad minded here, and hungry for interesting material. Read what you want and ignore what you don't like. As far as I know, we've not exceeded Janine's ISP bandwidth limits any months. And, after all, if it's all too unbearable, she did go to a lot of work to give you that ignore button. That's not a standard feature of this forum software, you know.
Horse Voice

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »

It is not for an exchange of ideas or the spreading of information or just plain socializing.  We are a debating club, pure and simple.  Debating that goes on and on until someone gives up.

But, it *is* an exchange of ideas, and the spreading of information, and just plain socializing.

And it's a debating club.

It's all of these things.

And, it's anything else we want it to be -- as long as "it" is somewhat within the bounds of minimal civil behavior -- think basic "netiquette", not my standards, nor yours. Janine has an extremely light touch, moderator-wise, and that's what makes this forum a great place: just about anything goes, if the forum participants refrain from the adolescent language / personal attacks. 

Just a suggestion, Dan: give up on trying the define what this forum is, or is not, simply because it defies definition...not because I said so.

I log on to the forum every day with no expectations, read / respond to what is of interest, and ignore the rest. Give it a whirl, Dan, and let me know how it works out for you. 
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »

I have thought long and hard about it and I have decided they should still allow the port a john running and beer throwing.  Some knuckleheaded kid that would have otherwise fallen off of one of these things after getting pegged with a stroh's and broken his neck is liable to survive and go on to weaken the species.

In the interest of strengthening the gene pool I am anti port-a-john run ban.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »

I have thought long and hard about it and I have decided they should still allow the port a john running and beer throwing.  Some knuckleheaded kid that would have otherwise fallen off of one of these things after getting pegged with a stroh's and broken his neck is liable to survive and go on to weaken the species.

In the interest of strengthening the gene pool I am anti port-a-john run ban.

thumbs up

Good thinkin'.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: