Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 22, 2014, 10:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There not going to be able to do this this year??  (Read 3516 times)
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »

Preakness Toilet Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcyFSYhvV4

It's a tradition!!
Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »

It's a tradition!!

That was the argument that the idiot kid from Penn State made in his column in the school newspaper -- "tradition". I wrote a stinging rebuttal to him and his editor that has not been acknowledged.

You can still buy beer in the Preakness infield; you just can't bring in your own anymore.

Guys used to bring in 6 cases each, 2 to drink, and 4 to throw at people.

"Tradition", my ass -- try "Abject Hooliganism".
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:48:26 AM »

That was the argument that the idiot kid from Penn State made in his column in the school newspaper -- "tradition". I wrote a stinging rebuttal to him and his editor that has not been acknowledged.

You can still buy beer in the Preakness infield; you just can't bring in your own anymore.

Guys used to bring in 6 cases each, 2 to drink, and 4 to throw at people.

"Tradition", my ass -- try "Abject Hooliganism".

What skin was it off your nose?
Horse Voice

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »

What skin was it off your nose?

Horrible image for horse racing, which already has enough problems.

The ***hole in the infield are NOT horse racing fans, just unruly drunk assed 20-somethings. Horse racing doesn't need them.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »

Horrible image for horse racing, which already has enough problems.

The ***hole in the infield are NOT horse racing fans, just unruly drunk assed 20-somethings. Horse racing doesn't need them.

Just found it unusual and out of character for you to be judging other people's harmless behavior. That's all.
Horse Voice

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »

Just found it unusual and out of character for you to be judging other people's harmless behavior. That's all.

If only it were harmless. Ever get pegged in the head with a full can of beer?

Also -- how do all of these raging drunks get home afterwards?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

If only it were harmless. Ever get pegged in the head with a full can of beer?

As it happens, yes. I knew it was a hazard where I was. Did you? Anyone you personally know get pegged at the Preakness?

Also -- how do all of these raging drunks get home afterwards?

Designated drivers.
georgie

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »

This is great!!!! It will keep all the idiots, who are there just to party,away. It will allow people , who stopped going cause of these idiots, the chance to go back and enjoy Preakness day!
Horse Voice

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »

Anyone you personally know get pegged at the Preakness?

No. Completely irrelevant question, though -- one should be able to attend an event and have a reasonable expectation of NOT getting hit in the head with a full can of beer.

Designated drivers.

You're not that naive.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »

No. Completely irrelevant question, though -- one should be able to attend an event and have a reasonable expectation of NOT getting hit in the head with a full can of beer.

Hey, you asked me first.

I don't really care one way or the other. Pimlico can do what they want with their property. I just found it unusual for you, of all people, to be passing judgment on what's right and wrong as far as other people's behavior and its theoretical consequences, particularly the general comment about "unruly drunk-assed 20 somethings". Next thing we know, you and the right wing OP behavior monitors will be  crossedfingers   

Wink

You're not that naive.

I don't know different. The only time I was ever at a Preakness (War Emblem), I didn't see a mythical armada of crazed drunk drivers demolishing the town.
Horse Voice

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »

I just found it unusual for you, of all people, to be passing judgment on what's right and wrong as far as other people's behavior and its theoretical consequences, particularly the general comment about "unruly drunk-assed 20 somethings". Next thing we know, you and the right wing OP behavior monitors will be  crossedfingers

I wouldn't worry about that. There's a big difference between worrying about theoretical consequences that may or may not occur (some of which may be based on imagined behavior), and having hard evidence of boorish and injurious behavior that HAS happened: the Baltimore and D.C. papers have been reporting on injuries in the Preakness infield for years, and if you have a look at YouTube (keyword: Preakness), you can get a pretty good idea of how some of it occurs. You aren't really advocating for our constitutional right to use a full can of beer as a weapon, are you?

Perhaps I was out of line about the "unruly drunk-assed 20 somethings" -- it's certainly possible that some of them were unruly drunk-assed 30 somethings, or even older drunk asses.

The only time I was ever at a Preakness (War Emblem), I didn't see a mythical armada of crazed drunk drivers demolishing the town.

You didn't have to see anything for them to be out there. Getting in the car and driving while over the legal BAC limit is a crime in and of itself, even if you can drive without "demolishing the town", or anything else. It is a virtual certainty that some of the drunk asses from prior Preakness days got in their cars while stone drunk, and drove home. I understand that they can still do it, if they spend enough money at the beer stand, albeit now with dram shop law implications...but I have to believe not letting jackasses walk in with 6 cases of beer is a pretty good move towards reducing the numbers of plotzed Preakness party participants.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »

You aren't really advocating for our constitutional right to use a full can of beer as a weapon, are you?

Did I say any such thing?

My comments were in regard to your uncharacteristic behavior.

and if you have a look at YouTube (keyword: Preakness), you can get a pretty good idea of how some of it occurs

Damn hippies.

You didn't have to see anything for them to be out there.

Isn't that the tag line for the X-Files?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:23:32 PM by CLOCKERTERRY » Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »

Did I say any such thing?

No, you didn't...but I also notice that you are answering the question with another question, so just to be safe: would you put down that full can of beer, please?  Wink 

My comments were in regard to your uncharacteristic behavior.

I've been against drunk driving and other bad behavior tied to excess alcohol consumption in the past on this very forum. I'm pretty much for the "hands off" side of things when it comes to government control of our daily lives, and I don't like the idea of the "Nanny State" at all...but alcohol abuse is a compelling problem in a society where people can't or won't walk two blocks to buy a gallon of milk or a pack of smokes.

Your right to be shit-faced ends when it infringes on my right to drive a car without you crossing the median in your car and killing me. The problem is, by the time this happens, my "rights" no longer have much meaning to me, so clearly something has to be done before this happens.

(This is where I part company with the Libertarians, who can't stand to have any limits placed on so-called personal freedoms, but never have an answer on how to make injured parties "whole" again when the actions of one free person negatively impacts the rights and liberties of another; their attitude quickly changes to, "hey, better you than me, bud". Yeah, like that f*cking helps.)

Anyway...my reaction to bad behavior at the Preakness is nothing new from me in the grand scheme of things, really.

Isn't that the tag line for the X-Files?

Ouch...and touché. I can't get away from the way I worded that, I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:12:54 PM by Horse Voice » Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »

No, you didn't...but I also notice that you are answering the question with another question

Sorry. There seems to be a forum epidemic of trying to alter the subject lately, and I'm not getting sucked in to defending what I did NOT say.

I've been against drunk driving and other bad behavior tied to excess alcohol consumption in the past on this very forum. I'm pretty much for the "hands off" side of things when it comes to government control of our daily lives, and I don't like the idea of the "Nanny State" at all...

Well, now, that's kind of what I've been getting at. An entire population of people, the infield party goers, are being "punished" because a few people throw things (proven), and because (in your opinion, although Pimlico didn't say it) a few MIGHT drive under the influence (unproven). So, in essence, if you agree with these restrictions on other people because of what a few of them MIGHT do, that's okay.

But, in other contexts, if it's something you disagree with and might put some restrictions on you, that's not okay. Let's say, if some family values types want to keep gambling (or Internet gambling) away from all people because a few people MIGHT gamble too much and end up ruining their families, or even embezzling and ruining businesses and other people's lives, and costing you and me money and maybe ruining our lives, too. I mean, who is to say who's right there - what the family values types believe, or you? And you can take it further - some people in America MIGHT be plotting a terrorist act, so all of us should have to give up our privacy.

Your right to be shit-faced ends when it infringes on my right to drive a car without you crossing the median in your car and killing me. The problem is, by the time this happens, my "rights" no longer have much meaning to me, so clearly something has to be done before this happens.

Clearly, something needs to be done before you embezzle, or commit a terrorist act, too.

Anyway...my reaction to bad behavior at the Preakness is nothing new from me in the grand scheme of things, really.

It was surprising to me.

Like I said, however, Pimlico can do anything they want. It's their infield.
Horse Voice

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »

Clearly, something needs to be done before you embezzle, or commit a terrorist act, too.

Government intervention before I embezzle, or gamble away my business? No.

Government intervention before I commit a terrorist act? Depends on the evidence and how it was obtained, but too much of a gray area for me to give blanket approval of intercepting all "potential" terrorists.

Drunk driving is pretty clear cut, and amply backed up with years of experience and statistics. No comparison at all to either of the above.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »

Government intervention before I embezzle, or gamble away my business? No.

Government intervention before I commit a terrorist act? Depends on the evidence and how it was obtained, but too much of a gray area for me to give blanket approval of intercepting all "potential" terrorists.

Drunk driving is pretty clear cut, and amply backed up with years of experience and statistics. No comparison at all to either of the above.

It depends who's talking. There's plenty of people out they who think they have God on their side about what you should and should not do, just as you're sure of what those kids in the infield should and should not be allowed to do.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 10:40:06 PM »

I am SO with Horsevoice here. 

I can't STAND  the non race fans who only come to the bigger races to just get drunk and be unruly.  If you are always drunk and unruly but come all the time to be, fine..We're used to you and know how to duck or weave.
Horse Voice

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 11:54:29 PM »

It depends who's talking. There's plenty of people out they who think they have God on their side about what you should and should not do, just as you're sure of what those kids in the infield should and should not be allowed to do.

I suppose you are doing what I often do here -- making a devil's advocate type argument -- but there really isn't any comparison between the usual "God Squad" do's and don'ts, and what I'm sure about "what those kids in the infield should or should not be allowed to do". This isn't some esoteric discussion about whether life begins at conception, or whether premarital sex is a sin in the eyes of God.

Pimlico is only about anywhere from 5 to 20 years behind the times in terms of major sporting venues taking dangerous projectiles out of the hands of drunken participants, in order to reduce injuries, brawls, bad behavior, and potential lawsuits and insurance claims. If you really know anything about this issue, you'd know that this isn't about what I think at all.

The nonsense that used to occur in the Pimlico infield is a real public safety issue, with documented injuries. I feel like you are trying to reduce it to the equivalent of some harmless kids "just having a little fun", while casting me as the old codger who keeps yelling at them to "turn down that g-d rock music"; sorry, it just isn't that trivial.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 08:38:30 AM »

I suppose you are doing what I often do here -- making a devil's advocate type argument -- but there really isn't any comparison between the usual "God Squad" do's and don'ts, and what I'm sure about "what those kids in the infield should or should not be allowed to do". This isn't some esoteric discussion about whether life begins at conception, or whether premarital sex is a sin in the eyes of God.

No, but those are your examples, not the ones like the real dangers of gambling and terrorism I used. Those are real documented dangers that are just as serious in some/many people's eyes as a few guys throwing a beer.

Pimlico is only about anywhere from 5 to 20 years behind the times in terms of major sporting venues taking dangerous projectiles out of the hands of drunken participants, in order to reduce injuries, brawls, bad behavior, and potential lawsuits and insurance claims. If you really know anything about this issue, you'd know that this isn't about what I think at all.

Huh I already said two or three times this was about my surprise at YOUR position, given your past history on other subjects of preemptive actions, while Pimlico's entitled to do what they want. I think you've taken care of explaining it, though.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:11:33 AM by CLOCKERTERRY » Report to moderator   Logged
bjchapin1

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »

Why do you read the Penn State student newspaper HV, are you an alum?
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »

Nobody goes to the infield on Derby Day at Churchill expecting a "church" atmosphere. Ditto for Preakness Day.

It would be like going to the Redneck Olympics and expecting them to be sedate.
Horse Voice

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 03:03:37 PM »

Why do you read the Penn State student newspaper HV, are you an alum?

Not an alum. There was a link to it from equidaily.com a few days back.
Horse Voice

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »

Nobody goes to the infield on Derby Day at Churchill expecting a "church" atmosphere. Ditto for Preakness Day.

It would be like going to the Redneck Olympics and expecting them to be sedate.

So, anything less than full cans of beer flying at your head is "sedate" and church-like to you, Moon?  Huh
General Powell

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »

This might be off base, but what makes anyone on this forum believe that "humans" are  rational and moral people by "nature". Nothing that people do should surprise us;it is only self imposed respect for law, order and the Majority view of morality that allows society to operate in some type of "surviveable" order. When that self imposed respect is removed, either involuntarily (booze, drugs. etc) or voluntarily (I matter, no one else does)man is as unstable as any other creature.

Is it not interesting that the few periods of peace in the world have not been because of man's great character, but because men allowed themselves, willingly or not, to be subjugated by a over dominating force. Face it- the great benefit of the Soviet collapse, has been the multiple wars of terror and ethic cleansing in areas once controlled by the Soviets. The same thing happened to Rome when they voluntarily removed their self imposed respect.

Now what this has to do directly with toilets, I am not sure. However, I do believe Mr Crapper had other intentions in mind then the infield at Pimlico.

As you can tell by my rambling, I have too much time on my hands and need Thoroughbred racing to return live to Chicago one week from tomorrow.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

So, anything less than full cans of beer flying at your head is "sedate" and church-like to you, Moon?  Huh

That's what YOU are looking for, right? The ability to stand there and handicap the races without any kind of rowdy person around?

Just go sit in the "Old Lady" section. You can afford it.

maroon
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: