Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 06:31:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT - Cubs tickets  (Read 1869 times)
warden
Global Moderator

« on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:23 AM »

NY POST

February 22, 2009

LET'S examine how two prominent bosses in American life, Bruce Springsteen and Bud Selig - same initials, too - responded to the same stimuli, the same ripoff made in their good names and on their watches:

Early this month, those who tried to purchase tickets online, through Ticketmaster, to two Bruce Springsteen concerts in the Meadowlands, found that the concerts instantly had sold out - a common and dubious curiosity attached to the sale of tickets to many big events.

Nevertheless, in this case, Ticketmaster advised that tickets to the concerts still could be purchased, but through TicketsNow, a re-sale entity in cahoots with Ticketmaster. TicketsNow was selling the Springsteen tickets for more than four times what Ticketmaster was charging.

When angry word from fans reached Springsteen, he angrily demanded an immediate cease and desist, making it clear that nothing like it had better happen again.

Such a ticket scam may have been invented by the Chicago Cubs, in 2002, on Selig's watch and with his tacit approval.

The Cubs took tickets to many of its most attractive games, including interleague games vs. the Yankees, and, without providing them for sale to the public, delivered them to a new company, Wrigley Field Premium Ticket Services, which then scalped the tickets.

When angry word from fans reached MLB, MLB did absolutely nothing. In fact, given that most MLB teams now engage in some form of ticket extortion, it seems the Cubs' scam might have been used for inspiration.

Incidentally, the fellow who answered for the Cubs' "creative ticket marketing," was its exec. VP of business operations, a fellow named McGuire, Mark McGuire. Really.
Report to moderator   Logged
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »

We don't make enough money.

Jerks.

Kenneth

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »

Stubhub is now officially sanctioned by MLB. The White Sox have Stubhub on their web site. Do you think the White Sox are putting tickets on Stubhub so they can get more than face value?? I sure do.

I just looked - the Cubs are doing it, too. My guess is, ALL of MLB is doing it.
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »

MLB teams get a % of StubHub's revenues overall from all resale tickets sold by them.
I don't believe they receive any "unissued" tickets since 100% of the original face value
would go to the team as original revenue anyway.  They are now able to capture a
piece of StubHub's aftermarket sales as well.   The Cubs also endorse (and advertise)
the rooftop seats (across Waveland and Sheffield) and receive a portion of all of those
sales as well.
Harness1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »

Yes, stubhub is mlb sanctioned.
Check out how the yanks are treating us!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/02/21/2009-02-21_yankee_fans_call_ticket_downgrades_on_se.html

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/02/19/if-youre-going-to-make-people-mad-could-you-at-at-least-check-the-spelling/

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:37:27 PM »

Nevertheless, in this case, Ticketmaster advised that tickets to the concerts still could be purchased, but through TicketsNow, a re-sale entity in cahoots with Ticketmaster. TicketsNow was selling the Springsteen tickets for more than four times what Ticketmaster was charging.

This scam is happening daily to all of Ticketmaster's sold out events in all cities.  Concerts, Broadway, Sporting Events - you name it.  Sold out on Ticketmaster but miraculously available on Tickets Now.I have told others about this scam but people don't seem to be interested.  I am glad that finally the Post & Springsteen have brought some attention to this.  TicketsNow is owned by Ticketmaster. 

Write to your representative - so you can be ignored AGAIN!

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

Some years ago, we had four seats in our season tickets to the Sox. In the years leading up to 2005, we ate a lot of tickets, because it was tough to find people who wanted to go see the Sox. So, for the 2005 season, we dropped two. Naturally then, the Sox win the World Series, and everyone and his brother wants into our ticket consortium, or wants to go see Sox games. So we ask the Sox if we can get those two tickets we gave up back. Nope, they were "sold to a corporation". Now, every time I've gone to a Sox game since then, and there's actually been someone in those seats, it's never the same people, and I've told them our little story and asked how they got these tickets. Every single time they say, "We bought them directly from the Sox" or lately, from Stubhub. The prices on the things are almost twice our season ticket holder price, too.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:35:39 PM »

Talk about a scam - Tonight I heard that Cubs bleachers tickets will be $60 face for some premium games this year. What's your guess for price on StubHub?
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »

Makes me think of 35 years ago.....

Me and my best bud Jerry used to catch bus & train (ourselves--we were 12)
to head to Wrigley and grab a game in the Bleachers.  (About $1.75-2.00 ticket)
We'd sit in the 3/4 empty bleachers and watch Fergie Jenkins pitch COMPLETE games, take the train and bus back home (without a cell phone to call our parents) and be home when we said we would.

I think we spent about $8 each (including the bus, train, bleacher seats, and food at the park!!)

P.S.  On a sad side note about the effect of drugs... About 3 years later, Jerry and I
are in the same high school but he starts hanging aroung with dopeheads and we are now practically strangers (he would also be "high" when I saw him).  Saw him in a McDonalds at that time and he's like.....hey man...what's up?   His eyes were completely blloodshot and I regret not saying anything to try to breakthrough to my
former BEST FRIEND (we did everything together during those "wrigley years).

About 1 year later, Jerry somehow busted out a window in the Hancock building
about 35 floors up and jumped to his death.  There was a huge front page story
in the Sun-Times and it was just unbelievable to think of my old best bud whose life
was cut so short. 

I don't know if I could have gotten through to him or not but I do wish I had
done more.  In high school at that time you were a "jock", a "geek", or a "stoner"
and I was hanging with the jocks while Jerry had become a "stoner"

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:17:35 AM by trotter1 » Report to moderator   Logged
Lockjaw

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

After the Tigers, spent a bundle on some free agent acquisitions last year, they were immediately anointed World Series contenders.  Those unrealistic expectations drove season tickets purchases to record levels.  The ticket brokers/scalpers got into the act early counting on making a killing as the Tigers waltzed into the playoffs.  The Tigers were a monumental flop, and the ticket brokers took a bath.  Going to a game in July, you would be rushed by scalpers holding two fists full of tickets offering you a "deal" at face value.  If you didn't buy until after the first inning, you could get a $75 ticket for $5.

Question:  Does StubHub assume any risk when reselling tickets?
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »

Lockjaw, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's all on the seller. Stubhub is just a place where you can feel safer buying and selling tickets.

The only problem I have with Stubhub is if the Sox or Cubs themselves are selling tickets for MORE than their face value on Stubhub.

/I don't know if that is happening, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
trotter1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »

StubHub does not BUY your tickets to resell.  They allow YOU to sell your tickets on their site and they take a large cut of the action.  You must deliver the tickets to them promptly while they are for sale and you have the ability to adjust the asking price during the entire process.  If they don't sell, you get nothing but your tickets back (if you want them).

Similarly, if you are BUYING tickets on StubHub, you are actually buying them from
someone else who is selling through StubHub.   StubHub is basically Ebay but you have
to deliver the tickets to StubHub ahead of time and when you get your money it comes
directly from StubHub (with all fees taken out) instead of from the person buying the
tickets.

I will occassionally BUY on StubHub since you have a 100% guarantee against fake tickets but I rarely sell on StubHub as their fees are HUGE.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »

trotter1, In the early 80s, we used to go to the Cubs games, buy those $5 bleacher seats and then sit right behind the visiting team's dugout. The place was mostly empty, especially on weekdays, and they definitely weren't enforcing seating policies, unless you acted like a jerk.
Lockjaw

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 01:59:22 PM »

The was a one-way, turnstile exit behind home plate at Briggs Stadium, later Tiger Stadium.  It was used as a quick exit by businessmen who wanted to see a couple of innings before returning to work.  My friends and I would buy a 50-cent, center field bleacher ticket in order to get into the stadium.  Then we would "tip" an usher who would let us through a gate, so we could get all the way around the concourse to that turnstile behind home plate.  There we would wait for "men in suits" to leave and politely ask them for their ticket stubs.  More often than not, they gave us their stubs.  After we found their seats, it wouldn't be long before an usher would challenge a couple of scruffy kids sitting in a box seat.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »

Haha! WAAAY back in the old days, a buddy of mine and I used to go to the University of North Dakota basketball games (Phil Jackson was the star player - Bill Fitch was the coach!). My buddy had a great plan: He would buy a ticket and then  hand the stub through a side gate and I would get in with the stub. We then had an extra 50 cents to spend on pop and candy (50 cents was a LOT of money for kids back in the early 60s)

/That kid grew up to be a pastor.
Harness1

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »

Yanks charging 1,500  1st row.   850 and 350 a box seat.  Times that out by 2 or 3 tickets 81 games.
They are nuts.  You go to a game it could be 10-0 Boston and you pay this kind of money.

1973 gm 5 playoffs,  mets and reds.  I sat in 2nd row by mets on deck circle.
Guess the price per ticket?   $7.00.....
What would that cost today?   
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 04:10:44 PM »

Sheesh, Harness1, that's unbelievable, isn't it?? Of course, $20k was considered a great salary back then, too.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »

Yanks charging 1,500  1st row.   850 and 350 a box seat.  Times that out by 2 or 3 tickets 81 games.
They are nuts.  You go to a game it could be 10-0 Boston and you pay this kind of money.

Most of the really expensive tickets these days are owned by businesses, and the government in its infinite wisdom allows them to deduct the face ticket cost as a business expense under the category of "marketing". In the section where I sit at Sox park, most of the season seats are corporate.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »

1973 gm 5 playoffs,  mets and reds.  I sat in 2nd row by mets on deck circle.
Guess the price per ticket?   $7.00.....

Regular season game at Shea in 1973 was $4.00 - box seats.  My Dad couldn't afford the $4.  $1.50 for General Admission but Dairylea used to give out GA's.  Then we'd pay the usher $1 each to sit in the Loge level.  Of course, I was only 10.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »

I will be headed to the schaumburg flyers and Kane county cougars!!!
Harness1

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 06:38:02 PM »

Regular season game at Shea in 1973 was $4.00 - box seats.  My Dad couldn't afford the $4.  $1.50 for General Admission but Dairylea used to give out GA's.  Then we'd pay the usher $1 each to sit in the Loge level.  Of course, I was only 10.

I remember the $4.00.  I was 8!! lol
I still have the 73 stub.

BTW---Yankee tickets in the box was also $4.00-$4.50..in 73.
Yankee salaries 2009   ---Arod   32 mil, Jeter 24 mil, Texiera 23 mil....
Yankee infield....What is the entire Marlin payroll in 09?  Does it make 30 mil?

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »

Even by the late 80's, Cubs bleachers were still $8, and I think
Sox about the same.

Imagine if general inflation was as bad as our baseball
teams the last 20 years. A junky little economy car would
cost $75,000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: