Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 22, 2014, 05:30:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New york Harness Racing Stands Alone At The Top  (Read 10865 times)
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »

Quote from: Dolfan
Isle of Wight - Jimmy Larente

Jimmy's real name was Jacques.
Some of the mentions in both the same year and same publication, he's referred to as "Jacques" at the Canadian tracks and "Jimmy" at the Yank tracks.

Jimmy's Dad was Paul-Emile is a Canadian HOF inductee:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:56:34 PM by wilderness » Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »

Ideal Du Gazeau used to train on the beach to build up stamina.  It certainly worked.  Everyone thought Jorky was the better of the two but IDG dead heated him at the wire & then I believe Jorky broke on a big lead in the CC.

As far as Lutin, didn't he seem to come in pretty underrated - as if he was not that good in France?  He was a monster here & uncharacteristically had front end speed.

I don't remember any dominant American trotters during those years.  Am I wrong?
Report to moderator   Logged

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »

from June 1998 Hoof Beats and by Ardith Carlton:

Ideal du Gazeau

Ideal du Gazeau 1:57.4, the blaze-faced French hero who dominated trotting in the early 1980s, died of a heart attack on Feb. 27. A son of Alexis III, from the Loiron D. mare Venise du Gazeau, he was 24.

Trained and driven by Eugene Lefevre, Ideal du Gazeau thrilled North American fans by taking three consecutive International Trots at Roosevelt Raceway, from 1981 to 1983, as well as two Challenge Cups, all in electrifying style. Among the European classics he captured twice were the Prix d'Amerique, the Elitlopp, the Copenhagen Cup, the Aby Greater Prize and the Gran Premio delle Nazioni.

After winning 60 of 99 starts from ages 3 through 9, the brown stallion retired with earnings of more than $2.5 million. He initially stood at stud in Sweden, but eventually went to Flevo Farm in The Netherlands, where he passed away. Ideal du Gazeau's most successful performer in the U.S. was His Majesty, who defeated U.S. champions S J's Photo, CR Kay Suzie and Wesgate Crown in capturing the last International Trot, held in 1995. In Europe, his daughter Lovely Godiva won last year's Prix de France.

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »

From the Harness Museum's 1980 Bio on John Simpson Jr. and regarding Classical Way:

In 1980, she took the American Trotting Championship, the 1¼ mile Roosevelt International Trot, against Petite Evander and Ideal du Gazeau and the 1½ mile Challenge Cup. She went on to pick up the 11/8 mile American Trotting Classic at Hollywood Park, and in so doing lowered the world record to 2:11.3. Before Classical Way shipped to Europe, she took Simpson on a sizzling 1:55.2 time trial at Lexington’s Red Mile. She completed her fantastic career by closing out the year with a third place win in the Prix d’Amerique and a first in the Prix de France. She completed her final race lowering the Vincennes track record from 2:38.1 to 2:35.9 (1:59.2 mile rate). The win also gave Simpson the honor of being the only non-European driver to win the historic French event: a title he continues to hold.

Regards Don
Goliath

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2009, 12:18:41 AM »

TMan60...........I was very young at the time. I was definitely talking about later in Isle of Wight's career. Being unsure I looked up some info and came up with this about his racing in the Provincial Cup:

All eyes of the record crowd of 12,057 are on Horse of the Year and world record holder Albatross, but it’s Isle of Wight, a third-place finisher in the 1971 Cup, who gets to the wire first. Herve Filion drives a 1:59 4/5 mile, the first sub-two-minute performance in Cup history.

On a cold spring afternoon, Isle of Wight joins Cardigan Bay as a two-time winner and Filion joins Abbatiello and Dancer as two-time Cup winning drivers.

On Young Quinn, and Otaro Hanover I was wrong .

About Young Quinn. I stumbled upon this in the same article as listed above:

A March 23 grandstand fire postpones the race and the first fall edition of the Provincial Cup is held on October 19. Young Quinn equals Albatross’ track record, winning for driver Dick Williams II in 1:56 3/5.

Joe Marsh Jr. has replaced Dick Williams II in the bike, but that doesn’t make a difference. Boxed in on the rail coming down the stretch, Marsh finds an opening and Young Quinn joins fellow New Zealand-bred Cardigan Bay and Isle of Wight as two-time Provincial Cup winners.

And Marsh is shown as also driving him at the Big M in October of 1976.

About Otaro Hanover, the only race I could find Henri drove him, he was filling in for his brother. Herve actually owned the horse also.

As for Happy HA.............I have him winning on 10/23/80 with Gilmour and on 1/21/82 with Marsh. I guess Perry was his regular driver at 3 and early on as a 4 year old. He only raced twice at 2. But OK.........guess I have to get my own Diet Coke!!!!

Also remembered:

Keystone Pioneer -- Boss
Pugwash -- Dokey
Surprise Rhythm -- many drivers
Dragline -- Eddie Gomaras
Tarport Carmel -- Steal
Hot Lips -- Marsh
Sweet Jamboree -- Phalen and others
Fly Fly Solly - Loosh

This thread is bringing back lots of memories.
trottinman60

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2009, 03:04:08 AM »

TMan60...........I was very young at the time. I was definitely talking about later in Isle of Wight's career. Being unsure I looked up some info and came up with this about his racing in the Provincial Cup:

All eyes of the record crowd of 12,057 are on Horse of the Year and world record holder Albatross, but it’s Isle of Wight, a third-place finisher in the 1971 Cup, who gets to the wire first. Herve Filion drives a 1:59 4/5 mile, the first sub-two-minute performance in Cup history.

On a cold spring afternoon, Isle of Wight joins Cardigan Bay as a two-time winner and Filion joins Abbatiello and Dancer as two-time Cup winning drivers.

On Young Quinn, and Otaro Hanover I was wrong .

About Young Quinn. I stumbled upon this in the same article as listed above:

A March 23 grandstand fire postpones the race and the first fall edition of the Provincial Cup is held on October 19. Young Quinn equals Albatross’ track record, winning for driver Dick Williams II in 1:56 3/5.

Joe Marsh Jr. has replaced Dick Williams II in the bike, but that doesn’t make a difference. Boxed in on the rail coming down the stretch, Marsh finds an opening and Young Quinn joins fellow New Zealand-bred Cardigan Bay and Isle of Wight as two-time Provincial Cup winners.

And Marsh is shown as also driving him at the Big M in October of 1976.

About Otaro Hanover, the only race I could find Henri drove him, he was filling in for his brother. Herve actually owned the horse also.

As for Happy HA.............I have him winning on 10/23/80 with Gilmour and on 1/21/82 with Marsh. I guess Perry was his regular driver at 3 and early on as a 4 year old. He only raced twice at 2. But OK.........guess I have to get my own Diet Coke!!!!

Also remembered:

Keystone Pioneer -- Boss
Pugwash -- Dokey
Surprise Rhythm -- many drivers
Dragline -- Eddie Gomaras
Tarport Carmel -- Steal
Hot Lips -- Marsh
Sweet Jamboree -- Phalen and others
Fly Fly Solly - Loosh

This thread is bringing back lots of memories.

Good stuff.  I give on isle of Wight - - you and Looking In have convinced me my memory failed me on that one.
Re the Realization that Herve won with Otaro by a nose over Armbro Nesbit (74?), I remember hearing that Joe O'brien dropped the whip in the stretch.  Anyone hear that story?
Goliath

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2009, 02:30:21 AM »

I think I remember hearing that story also. Was that the race at Sportsman's Park?
trottinman60

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2009, 03:07:07 AM »

I think I remember hearing that story also. Was that the race at Sportsman's Park?
no
the Realization was a race for 4 yos at RR
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »

And on Villemure............He lost most, if not all his money in the game. I saw him on Long Island a couple of times a few years back.

Also, to correct myself one of the horses names was Airluck with Mckinney Lawhon.

Somebody searching the web today for info on Mckinney Lawhon, whom just passed on Saturday (87YO).
 His obit online.

Mrs. Mckinney Lawhon was the former Dorothy Ann Corbett (USTA empoyee prior to their marriage), their granddaughter was married in July and there is an announcement online.

Mckinney Lawhon was based in the once thriving harness racing community of Timmonsville, SC.

Regards Don
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: