Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 22, 2014, 06:38:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New york Harness Racing Stands Alone At The Top  (Read 9982 times)
American Freedom

« on: February 12, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »

All this talk about us HorseMen In New York has to make one laugh,  All i see on the forums is people cuting down East Coast Racing please help me out here if you will.  What other states offer as many tracks to race at more then New York?

1.Batavia Downs
    2.Buffalo Raceway
    3.Saratoga
    4.Tioga Downs
    5.Vernon Downs
    6.Yonkers
    7.Monticello
    This may be why there are so many East Coast HorseMen on line, So to H/P and its staff STFU already, And to all others Bite us if you don't like us. Name the tracks in your state if you even have any. And this list does not even count our fair tracks. 
    And did i for get the HarnessRacing hall of fame
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:38:50 AM by OntheAttack » Report to moderator   Logged
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »

Name the tracks in your state if you even have any.

Pompano Park.  And they'll be racing quarter horses in a few months.

The things I miss from NY:
Street pretzels
Corned Beef
Pizza (& Italian food in general)
Harness Racing
Broadway
"Discovering" one of the million little towns upstate

The things I will never miss from NY:
Cold winters
Traffic
NY Jets
Never noticing the sunsets
The suburbs
Van Wyck Expressway[/list]
Report to moderator   Logged

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
pacemaker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »

Pompano Park.  And they'll be racing quarter horses in a few months.

The things I miss from NY:
    Street pretzels
    Corned Beef
    Pizza (& Italian food in general)
    Harness Racing
    Broadway
    "Discovering" one of the million little towns upstate

The things I will never miss from NY:
    Cold winters
    Traffic
    NY Jets
    Never noticing the sunsets
    The suburbs
    Van Wyck Expressway[/list]
    mine would include the old Roosevelt raceway, Good old days with Jack Lee saying about the trailing horse... "can see em all"
    Dolfan

Ignore
    « Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »

mine would include the old Roosevelt raceway, Good old days with Jack Lee saying about the trailing horse... "can see em all"
    "Where it all began, where it isn't today.  The World Capitol of Harness Racing."  I will never get over that crime.

Don't forget "has the best view"![/list]

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
    Harness1

Ignore
    « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:37:38 PM »

One great line, I have the tape still,  10 horse field in levy elim, Glen Almahurst (favorite in the race)
    5 wide on the backstretch going  to the 3 qrtr pole,
    Jack---"On the far outside, out on the meadowbrook parkway, comes Glen Almahurst.
    trottinman60

Ignore
    « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »

Mine would include that old urine smell that was so pervasive in the subway stations[/list]
    pacemaker

Ignore
    « Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »

"Where it all began, where it isn't today.  The World Capitol of Harness Racing."  I will never get over that crime.

Don't forget "has the best view"![/list]
      Or the 2ND floor outside seats in the summer a large draft and catching Key To The City winning and paying $20. something. And every week seeing Pay Off N blow a 10 or 20 length lead as usual.
      Dolfan

Ignore
      « Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »

Or the 2ND floor outside seats in the summer a large draft and catching Key To The City winning and paying $20. something. And every week seeing Pay Off N blow a 10 or 20 length lead as usual.
      Had to buy your box seat tickets on Friday for Saturday's races - if you wanted to be on the wire.  And the orange, yellow & green seats would puddle if it rained.  How about the knishes on the 2nd floor?  The colorful couches in the back & the many winter nights spent handicapping in the stairwell because all the indoor seats were taken.

Pay Off N with Lucien Fontaine...  And speaking of the claimers from the 70's & 80's, how about Momentous (Bobby Rahner) & Viscount Uffington (Gary Mosher).  I was in the winner's circle when Melvin Hildreth scored in the last race giving Lachance his record 7th winner - 1/24/87.  We didn't own the horse - Lachance was so pissed![/list]

pacemaker

Ignore
      « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »

Had to buy your box seat tickets on Friday for Saturday's races - if you wanted to be on the wire.  And the orange, yellow & green seats would puddle if it rained.  How about the knishes on the 2nd floor?  The colorful couches in the back & the many winter nights spent handicapping in the stairwell because all the indoor seats were taken.

Pay Off N with Lucien Fontaine...  And speaking of the claimers from the 70's & 80's, how about Momentous (Bobby Rahner) & Viscount Uffington (Gary Mosher).  I was in the winner's circle when Melvin Hildreth scored in the last race giving Lachance his record 7th winner - 1/24/87.  We didn't own the horse - Lachance was so pissed![/list]
        Wow, you had to mention Momentous.One summer day, yes day, Yonkers used to have the sunday matinee. Went up their with 1 weeks of my vacation pay just to bet Momentous. First time ever I went to the $50.00 window, back then it was separate than the smaller bet windows with like a partition so where you had a little privacy when you bet. I remember he was 9-5 and a lock, won previous couple of races easy,inside post and at 9-5 was like stealing money.... or I thought.I go up to teller like a big shot whip out $200.00 and whisper to him $200.00 to win on #5. went outside to watch my horse win and cheer him on, was up by 5 lengths and turned and ran to the cashier because I bet everything I had on him, just left busfare money to come home
        (just in case) well just in case just happened, as I was running to cashier all the fans started to roar,at first I thought it was because they liked him too. But once at TV monitor I see Momentous doing a dance.
        At least I did buy one of them knishes, loved them to, and I think they were the cheapest thing they had, didn't want to waste my money on food.  Grin
        Buffaloboy

Ignore
        « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »

One great line, I have the tape still,  10 horse field in levy elim, Glen Almahurst (favorite in the race)
        5 wide on the backstretch going  to the 3 qrtr pole,
        Jack---"On the far outside, out on the meadowbrook parkway, comes Glen Almahurst.

The thing was if you pulled over on the side of the Meadowbrook behind Roosevelt Raceway ... you could really hear Jack E Lee. In fact, on a clear otherwise quiet night, you could just hear him on Stewart Avenue

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

“The answer to a government that’s too big is to stop feeding its growth.” - President Ronald W. Reagan
        macdaddi

Ignore
        « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »

and the hamburgers from the grill down stairs for 3,50  charbriolled  yum!!!!!!

macdaddi wins again what else is new!!!
        macdaddi

Ignore
        « Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:01:45 PM »

from yonkers grill

macdaddi

Ignore
        « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:31:11 PM »

you must go tioga downs for a day of racing   there are families out for a day   there is a grandstand full of fans they are rooting and cheering    what a day of fun     jeff gural is a great  promoter

pacemaker

Ignore
        « Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »

also liked the tote board, they would show how much a horse would play for place, with a low and high, like would have up on tote # 5 will pay between 3.60 & 4.60
        same thing for show. If you liked a horse you could decide better if you wanted to back him up. No help to Macdaddie,only joking Mac was you playing to win back then Huh Grin Love horseplayers win  dollar
        Dolfan

Ignore
        « Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 12:05:04 AM »

The thing was if you pulled over on the side of the Meadowbrook behind Roosevelt Raceway ... you could really hear Jack E Lee. In fact, on a clear otherwise quiet night, you could just hear him on Stewart Avenue

Jack was one of a kind.  I was fortunate to meet him one night at PPK about 10 years ago.  We just struck up a conversation & I said "I know that voice - you're Jack Lee"!  He had some great stories & revealed to me that his favorite call was of Bobbo - he used to yell out "Bahhhhhhhh Bo".

He & his wife had just bought some small house (?) in the Pompano area & while I spoke with him a few times after that, he disappeared.  I'm going to start a new thread - Does anyone know what happened to Jack?

Goliath

Ignore
        « Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:28 AM »

Great call on the 2nd floor knishes. That was the only stand that deep fried them. All the others used that rotating oven. They were still good but not like the deep fried ones. They had a good sausage sandwich at that stand also.

The memories of that place will last a lifetime. Even watching the Ranger-Islander playoff series there because it was the only place it was televised. They showed it there because MSG owned the track at that time. The TV's were packed.

I remember not only the different denomination windows, but that you also cashed the tickets on the other side at the cashier windows. And more than that were the triple machines with the 3 rows of keys. Those guys were like maestros punching out those long gray tickets with the red and green ink. I still have some programs from 1973.

As for the horses, I could go on forever:

Pacers-----Armbro Nesbit, Sir Dalrae, To Ri Boy, Nickawampus Leroy, Rambling Willie, Tarport Hap, Govenor Skipper, Big Towner, Nero, Handle With Care, Sandra Lil, Myakka Prince, Mr Sandman, Jonquil Hanover, Napoleon Anderson, Local Time, Royal Ascot N, George Van Allen, Smog, Abercrombie, Niatross, .......

Trotters----Kash Minbar, Delmonica Hanover, Spartan Hanover, Green Speed, Flower Child, Savoir, Lolas Express, Moshannon Express, Mickey Rodney, Mystic Park, Grades Singing, Ideal Du Gazeau, .....

And of course on saturday nights ther was the Gam Wah acros the street after the races!!!!

BIG NUMPERS

Ignore
        « Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 07:02:44 AM »

NEW YORK RACING. HOME OF THE GOVT. BAILOUT. NEW YORK HORSEMEN WERE RECEIVING BAILOUTS BEFORE THE WORD WAS COOL. RACING ON THE EAST COAST ISNT ABOUT SEEING WHO HAS THE FASTEST HORSE, ITS ABOUT WHICH GROUP OF HORSEMEN CAN CON THEIR STATE LEGISLATURES INTO GIVING THEM A LARGER BAILOUT CHECK.
        Harness1

Ignore
        « Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »

I believe Jack Lee is still alive. 
        Yeah I knew Bobbo was his fav.  He also would be big on Buckaroo Hanover.

The tote board as well would tell exact win price!!  It was the best!!!
        21 and Under on weekend get there for 3rd race---$1.00 admission. 

so many pacers and trotters....

Pacers ---Young Quinn, Harry Fitz and Newt Lobell to name a few

Trotters ---Savior , Lutin D'isgny----4 for 4 at Roosevelt---international and Challenge cup...Always on the engine.
            Jack would say ---He can go around again and again and again...

pacemaker

Ignore
        « Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »

Great call on the 2nd floor knishes. That was the only stand that deep fried them. All the others used that rotating oven. They were still good but not like the deep fried ones. They had a good sausage sandwich at that stand also.

The memories of that place will last a lifetime. Even watching the Ranger-Islander playoff series there because it was the only place it was televised. They showed it there because MSG owned the track at that time. The TV's were packed.

I remember not only the different denomination windows, but that you also cashed the tickets on the other side at the cashier windows. And more than that were the triple machines with the 3 rows of keys. Those guys were like maestros punching out those long gray tickets with the red and green ink. I still have some programs from 1973.

As for the horses, I could go on forever:

Pacers-----Armbro Nesbit, Sir Dalrae, To Ri Boy, Nickawampus Leroy, Rambling Willie, Tarport Hap, Govenor Skipper, Big Towner, Nero, Handle With Care, Sandra Lil, Myakka Prince, Mr Sandman, Jonquil Hanover, Napoleon Anderson, Local Time, Royal Ascot N, George Van Allen, Smog, Abercrombie, Niatross, .......

Trotters----Kash Minbar, Delmonica Hanover, Spartan Hanover, Green Speed, Flower Child, Savoir, Lolas Express, Moshannon Express, Mickey Rodney, Mystic Park, Grades Singing, Ideal Du Gazeau, .....

And of course on saturday nights ther was the Gam Wah acros the street after the races!!!!

Yes other side for cashing, back then cashiers used to rip off the corner of ticket if it was a winner.  Cashiers had a clipboard on their side of booth against wall
        and would look at that to see if you're ticket had won.
        Me and my friends had the brainstorm of saving losing tickets and when a horse won with the same numbers and race but a different date, and if I remember the colors of the ticket changed from day to day. But we never had the balls to try and cash them in, we were young at that time and looking for a advantage  Grin
        also went to same teller all the time and ask "whats hot", he would say bad race or get me a coffee and I will tell you. he picked many winners and had many coffees.

You forgot Teachers pet, Kat power, Amblin with his skunk oil  Grin
        Dolfan

Ignore
        « Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »

Amblin with his skunk oil  Grin

The Skunk Oil Wonder was Branch Dan Prince who won something like 14 in a row - cheap claimer with Herve.

pacemaker

Ignore
        « Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »

The Skunk Oil Wonder was Branch Dan Prince who won something like 14 in a row - cheap claimer with Herve.
        Good cal got them confused, amblin was just a good cheap claimer I think.
        Can't forget  It's Fritz, and Koncho flying down Roosevelt's stretch.

Good Luck
        Dolfan

Ignore
        « Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »

Do you remember who ended Branch Dan Prince's winning streak? 

Hint:  It was at Yonkers & the driver was none other than Daniel Wilsey.

Harness1

Ignore
        « Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »

I think you mean Amlin, not Amblin.
        He raced at 14.

Not sure It's Fritz did much racing at RR.   I remember a YR appearance against Cam.
        pacemaker

Ignore
        « Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »

I think you mean Amlin, not Amblin.
        He raced at 14.

Not sure It's Fritz did much racing at RR.   I remember a YR appearance against Cam.
        Sure did, I had a friend a everyone called him fritzy and that's the only time he would go to Roosevelt to play that horse. He caught a nice triple with him one night and told his wife he got half the triple that he had to split it with someone, he kept the other half for himself  Grin. We stayed out all night drinking on him.
        You're correct on Amlin, wasn't sure how it was spelled.
        pacemaker

Ignore
        « Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 05:22:31 PM »

Do you remember who ended Branch Dan Prince's winning streak? 

Hint:  It was at Yonkers & the driver was none other than Daniel Wilsey.
        No forgot that name until you mentioned him.
        Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
          Print  

Jump to: