Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 20, 2014, 08:06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Bowl XLIII  (Read 4549 times)
Horse Voice

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »

You might have a gambling problem if you are betting $1000 on a "squares" game, Horse Voice.

What makes it a gambling problem, Moon -- the amount, or the incredibly sucky odds of winning?
Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »

Both.

It's like somebody betting their paycheck on the lottery.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »

Doesn't anybody know how to defend Santonio Holmes??

WTF? The guy is wide open for the play that gets them to the 7 yard line, he's open in the end zone and misses the ball and then he's open for the touchdown. You'd think one of those three guys could have managed to be right next to him.
arizonadave

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »

wow what a game. thanks for all the love for the Cards and it was a great season. again thanks
Horse Voice

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 10:09:37 PM »

Both.

It's like somebody betting their paycheck on the lottery.

Is $1000 a lot of money to me, Moon?
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »

You make a couple million a year?
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »

wow what a game. thanks for all the love for the Cards and it was a great season. again thanks

I wish they would have call that an incomplete pass, just for the sake of a better game. It would have lead to a couple of passes from about the 35 yard line, after you take in account the penalty and they would have had to put some time back on the clock, maybe have the clock at 10 seconds or so.

Dang.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »

Betting that much money on such a poor bet may indicate a problem. Of course, if you've got tons of money, then maybe it's just a way to pass the time, like sometimes I'll bet small amounts on bad bets in horse racing just for a little action, but it's always very small relative to my usual bets.
orioles

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »

beer One of the best games ever
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 10:26:36 PM »

beer One of the best games ever

It sure was.
Horse Voice

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »

You make a couple million a year?

I sold my consultancy a few years back. Now I only take contracts that interest me, but I don't need to work, other than to keep busy.

Here's a lesson for you, Moon: bet size, in and of itself, is no indication of a gambling problem.

When I was younger, I was in $5 and $10 squares pools, spending money that I clearly could not afford. Did I have a gambling problem then?

You've dipped your toe into the Pool of Very Subjective Stuff (which, by the way, also includes my opinion that living downtown / on the lakefront / in Lincoln Park is for status-seekers, and is a frivilous waste of money).

It's a good pool to stay out of, because when you get in so far that you can't get out, you find out that it is really the Murky Swamp of Assumptions...and we all know what happens when we assume.
Horse Voice

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »

Betting that much money on such a poor bet may indicate a problem.

Let's not kid ourselves: a bad bet is a bad bet, regardless of the amount bet.

And let's not confuse making a bad bet with having a gambling problem.

If I am betting $1000 on the flip of a coin and I get $2000 every time it comes up heads, I am making a very good bet -- a tremendous overlay!

But if I can't afford the $1000 in the first place, that's indicative of a gambling problem. A short run of bad luck can wipe me out, because I am betting over my head.

Now, if you make bad bets that are "small" (small relative to your bankroll, and you're other "good" bets) you might still have a gambling problem. How many "bad" bets? How much of your winnings are the "bad" bets that are losing consuming. Are you an action junkie?

Like I said in my previous post: Very Subjective Stuff.

Moon

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 10:43:53 PM »

That's why I said "might" be a problem, Horse Voice.

Horse Voice

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »

That's why I said "might" be a problem, Horse Voice.

Ahh...the mighty qualifier, "might". 

So is it possible that you "might" have a gambling problem because you bet on horses?

And whether you do or don't, as a grown man, do you want to be admonished about it out here on this forum -- especially when the admonisher "might" not have any idea what he is talking about?
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »

Let's not kid ourselves: a bad bet is a bad bet, regardless of the amount bet.

And let's not confuse making a bad bet with having a gambling problem.

If I am betting $1000 on the flip of a coin and I get $2000 every time it comes up heads, I am making a very good bet -- a tremendous overlay!

But if I can't afford the $1000 in the first place, that's indicative of a gambling problem. A short run of bad luck can wipe me out, because I am betting over my head.

Now, if you make bad bets that are "small" (small relative to your bankroll, and you're other "good" bets) you might still have a gambling problem. How many "bad" bets? How much of your winnings are the "bad" bets that are losing consuming. Are you an action junkie?

Like I said in my previous post: Very Subjective Stuff.  

There's nothing 'subjective' about this. That bet on the flip of the coin is a bad bet, not an overlay. You're getting fair odds. Why would you play if you don't have an advantage? And to think it's _good_?!

Also, please read my post. Betting that much on bad bets "may indicate a problem." Note "may." I bought a lotto ticket once (only once in my whole life) just for kicks. I expected to lose my $1. It was entertaining, and worth my $1. If I were to spend $2,000 on lotto tickets every time a big pool came up, I might be inclined to think I had a problem. If I buy $1 worth of lotto tickets per year, I probably would not think I had a problem. It's sorta relative in this respect, but not 'subjective.'
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »

...and we all know what happens when we assume.

Yes we do. The threads get to be 100 pages, mostly nonsense.
Horse Voice

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »

There's nothing 'subjective' about this. That bet on the flip of the coin is a bad bet, not an overlay. You're getting fair odds. Why would you play if you don't have an advantage? And to think it's _good_?!

I should have said "if I win $2000" on the flip of a coin, indicating 2-1 odds on an even money proposition -- that's a good bet, and it's also what I meant.

The point was, you can make good bets, all the time, every one of them...and still have a gambling problem. That's why assuming someone else "may" have a problem based on bet size is pretty subjective stuff.
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »

What a game! And for Kurt Warners lord and saviour to forsake him at just the right moment for me to win the 4th quarter squares payout, that was icing.

Wasn't for 35K though.

The 7 points for the Cards was still the easy bet.
Horse Voice

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 12:25:48 AM »

The 7 points for the Cards was still the easy bet.

Yes...if you like less than even money.    Tongue

I couldn't come up with "Pittsburgh & the over" if they let me bet on the replay.

Nice hit on the squares.
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »

Nice hit on the squares.

Thank you, I have playing these every year forever and haven't hit anything significant in years.   

I was very lucky that a freind of mine let me buy into his ticket; he had that zero for the 4th quarter.  I am going to meet him at the OTB for the payout and pick up the tab. 
When my friend asked me if I thought the Steelers would be able to score the TD we needed at the end I told him, "Don't worry about it.  These are the Pittsburgh Steelers, this is what they do". 

The people of Western PA live for football; congratulations to them.   The Cards had a great run, their stars played up to their greatness, and they lost a tough one.  What a ride.  Their fans can now go back to the fairways and their pools in their new Cardinal polo shirts.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »

Ahh...the mighty qualifier, "might". 

So is it possible that you "might" have a gambling problem because you bet on horses?

And whether you do or don't, as a grown man, do you want to be admonished about it out here on this forum -- especially when the admonisher "might" not have any idea what he is talking about?

If I said I bet $1000 on a 100/1 shot and just bet the 2 horse without even handicapping, you could say I might have a gambling problem.

Horse Voice

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »

If I said I bet $1000 on a 100/1 shot and just bet the 2 horse without even handicapping, you could say I might have a gambling problem.

What if was only $2 though? Is that OK?
arizonadave

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 12:42:44 PM »

wow this thread might not stop. you two guys need to meet at Dennys tommorrow for your free Grand Slam and work this out. Do they have Dennys in Chicago?
Horse Voice

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »

wow this thread might not stop

Let it play out, Dave -- maybe I can eventually make Moon understand that some people can afford to make a bad bet with a dollar or two, others can afford to make a bad bet for a grand, and yet for others, if it cost a nickel to sh*t, they'd have to puke.

He's letting the number interfere with the concept, that's all. He's a pretty smart guy -- he'll figure it out. I think.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »

wow this thread might not stop. you two guys need to meet at Dennys tommorrow for your free Grand Slam and work this out. Do they have Dennys in Chicago?

Of course we do! We have ALL the good restaurants! (Except Jack in the Box and Waffle House - have to go down state for those.)

Just check out the Denny's locator map, and punch in an Arlington Heights zip code like 60004.

http://www.dennys.com/en/cms/Restaurant+Locator/43.html

Ought to be one crazy day at Denny's tomorrow!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: