Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 02:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who is the greatest driver of all time ?  (Read 3577 times)
nomar

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 10:25:31 AM »

Ron Pierce must be mentioned in this thread before hes finish hes a definate top 5er
Report to moderator   Logged
HANK3849

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 11:11:37 AM »

Hey, why no seconds on my nominee Jim Peacock?
Heede

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »

Hey Bula Man
how is it going?

Heede
Petro

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 12:43:38 PM »

Vic Pegues
race track phil

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »

where are the tony morgan supporters ? not once is he mentioned , very unusual !                 RTP
swaymi

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »

superman, how can you say what you say ? saying walter case was only average are you kidding me he is one of  the greatest of all time him and tony morgan would probaaly be in a dead heat!!!!!!!your are saying he couldnt drive on a big track thats a joke when he was twenty he was in the top five at the meadowlands with such greats in there prime like lachance, campbell , etc so how can you say he isnt no good on a mile if you ever watched east coast racing the meadowlands and garden state park were the only two mile ovals the rest are halfs and five eights besides vernon and do you know how hard it is to win a race at the meadowlands when eight out of ten can win every race with top drivers behind each horse not like most tracks that have only three or four good drivers in each race that is serious competition at the big m.  If i recall corect luc oullette won the title at the meadowlands about three or four years ago well about ten years ago when he was at yonkers before he made it big time a man by the name of walter case jr came off suspension and returned to yonkers it wasnt long before he took the show away from luc. I remember luc calling uncle mike to send horses from the meadowlands to yonkers and it didnt matter you just cant stop walter case , i remember him parking him the whole mile and walter some how always coming on the outside to beat him. luc is a good driver and he won alot of races at what ever track he goes but this walter case was a freak he was a natural he just knew how to keep a horse alive untill the wire. so superman you saying he couldnt drive on the mile is crazy this man could of drove on the moon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VicD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »

Wally had the most talent of any driver I have seen, and that is only for the past 30 years, so I cannot speak about what came before that....
He kept dead horses alive longer than anyone I ever watched drive..
JC is the other obvious choice for obvious reasons...
O'Donnell in his prime was as good as anybody, and though I did not get to see him in his younger years, Dave Magee has to be with the greatest of all time...
I also think that Pierce will be mentioned with the all timers when it is said and done...
There are many others that I won't mention and you guy all know, and they are all very close talent wise...
I would not put Tony Morgan in that class...
kingofcrete

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »

Joe O'Brien
Bobby Williams
Billy Haughton
Bob Farrington
Shelly Goudreau
John Campbell
Bill O'Donnell
Mike Lachance
Jim Dennis
Joe Marsh Jr

There were a few I left of because I did not see enough of them
Carmine Abatiello
Herve Fillion
Buddy Gilmour

Idealtowne

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 07:19:06 PM »

lachance/campbell
nomar

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 10:27:07 PM »

am i the only guy seeing the greatness that is Ron Pierce
mgriffin

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 12:15:24 PM »

A great question with a lot of answers. I have watched for 15 years now. The older guys like Fillion, Haughton, I cannot comment on. From what I have seen Campbell, Case Jr., Ouellette, Magee, Morgan, & Palone would be at the top. In 5-10 years add Pierce, D.Miller, Sears to that list. Beyond that, I agree with Mike B about Gingras. A guy in his mid 20's who is tearing it up and if he keeps to task who knows how far that guy will go. Add Mark McDonald as well. He will be at the Big M sooner than you think.
Overall, I have never seen a guy better than Walter Case keeping a horse going. It's too bad he has made the choices he has.

My vote would be for John Campbell as the best ever.

Great question!

MG
off stride

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2006, 12:20:18 PM »

supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2006, 12:31:43 PM »

For all of the Case fans out there, how many races would he have won WITHOUT kicking the horse. For him, and only him, to be able to do that is a HUGE advantage. That's how/why a lot of those horses kept on going. And just how many fines/suspensions did he incur from kicking??And how many times were let slide??
supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »

The best driver of all time was, in my opinion, Joe O'Brien. When he would catch-drive a horse, the horse would improve their time and most times win.He would generate excitement when he would drive. And this would have been in his prime, not after his hands started bothering him.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: