Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 10:37:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone seen Patrick Berry?  (Read 2147 times)
Bachst Inn

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »

Can't find him listed to drive anywhere.  The best "favorite off the ticket" play this year has vanished without a trace.  Need holiday money. Please help.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pacin Filly

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »

is he serving his 15 days?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:21:46 PM by Pacin Filly » Report to moderator   Logged
FreeLegged

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »

you didnt look too hard, he had a driving double at yonkers last night
elpatron

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »

pb is currently driving at freehold days and yonkers at night with occasional drives at the big m. he is winning races consistantly at both tracks and is in the top five wins at both tracks.
njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »

pb is currently driving at freehold days and yonkers at night with occasional drives at the big m. he is winning races consistantly at both tracks and is in the top five wins at both tracks.

Berry is not driving at Freehold because he was denied privileges there.

What is he doing at the Big M? Working as a Thoroughbred jockey? Roll Eyes There hasn't been harness racing there since the first Saturday in August, and the new meet doesn't start until Friday 11/21.

"I'm a retired investor living on a pension."
elpatron

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »

to nj horseman pb has been driving at freehold since they reopened in august, i don't know who told you that is not lisenced there but i beleive they are mistaken. i have won and lost with pb at freehold this fall  so i know he has been driving there.
njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »

to nj horseman pb has been driving at freehold since they reopened in august, i don't know who told you that is not lisenced there but i beleive they are mistaken. i have won and lost with pb at freehold this fall  so i know he has been driving there.

He got tossed out of Freehold about 2 weeks ago after a couple of suspicious-looking drives. Also suspended for 15 days, but that is being appealed.

elpatron

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:22 PM »

that i didn't hear, cause i know he was driving there 2 to 3 weeks ago. but he does get a few drives at the big m when they do open this friday, but he will a regular at yonkers.
VicD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »

He got tossed out of Freehold about 2 weeks ago after a couple of suspicious-looking drives. Also suspended for 15 days, but that is being appealed.

I didn't think Berry was even good enough to cheat...
He is "Mr. First Over" and chronically out of position...
Dleestable

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:50:15 PM »

I would never believe Pat to do that, not in a million years. 
eggiewon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:52:17 PM »

I spoke with Pat about week ago he didnt say anything about getting 15 days  mang. Not the njrc  ask him to take some time off  from freehold  . The guy doesnt bet and maybe he made a poor choice by not pulling a 1/5   4 claimer that ran the week before  . You guys dont see the big pic. here  what if this would have been sears or brennon . If they can do it to 1 guy why not the next guy that drives bad . If i was a driver at freehold i would be out at the 1/4 every race in fear of getting locked in.
Goliath

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »

From what I heard that drive on the 1-5 shot was the last straw not the only incident. After that race, management said they had enough and asked him to leave.
njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »

From what I heard that drive on the 1-5 shot was the last straw not the only incident. After that race, management said they had enough and asked him to leave.

Correct.

njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »

I would never believe Pat to do that, not in a million years. 

Donna:

I have no idea whether he would or not, but having watched him over the years he has raced here I can understand why the track wanted him out. His driving is so inconsistent it's pathetic. Even if he's 100% honest, you would never know it based on how he drives. There have been a few too many races similar to the latest one in question where he seems to go dead...apparently making no attempt to win...on horses that should be strong contenders.

FreeLegged

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »

If i was a driver at freehold i would be out at the 1/4 every race in fear of getting locked in.

Rick I think that may be part of the problem here. Berry is generally pulling, even with a 40-1 shot, if he does nothing more than clog up the outer flow. This race in question was a complete reversal of what he usually does.

I think too many people cry that a driver stiffed or bet or cheated or whatever else. And I have heard nice things about the guy myself, but maybe freehold had a list of some drives of his that were questionable and not drives that were consistent with his style.

NJ Horseman usually knows about this, and he can correct me if I am wrong...but if they just told him not to come back and didnt specifically say why, they are doing nothing more than exercising their private property rights. (which more tracks should do, in my opinion)
Dleestable

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 01:15:26 PM »

His driving is so inconsistent it's pathetic.

Horses or people are not mechanical, nothing is ever the same with either. I know Pat personally and I trust him completely.  I don't watch Freehold, but some drivers love it half mile tracks, and others struggle.
njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »

Horses or people are not mechanical, nothing is ever the same with either. I know Pat personally and I trust him completely.  I don't watch Freehold, but some drivers love it half mile tracks, and others struggle.

Donna:

I understand that. I also understand that I've been going to the races for 50 years, owned dozens of racehorses, and graduated judge's school. I think I've seen and done enough to have a pretty decent handle on what is going on out there.

My opinion of Berry's driving is virtually the same as every other person I've spoken to at Freehold. He was as inconsistent as any catch driver I've ever seen. He could be in a comparable situation three times and make three different moves out there. His races were a series of one unpredictable and unfathomable move after another. We often would say, only half jokingly, "Is he decking these horses or is he actually that bad ?"

You have to understand when a driver gives the appearance of dumping favorites while inexplicably driving aggressively with horses that have zero chance of winning, bettors are going to be complaining. In an era when it's hard enough as is to keep your customers coming back, much less attract new ones, track management simply has to act.

njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »

If i was a driver at freehold i would be out at the 1/4 every race in fear of getting locked in.

Rick I think that may be part of the problem here. Berry is generally pulling, even with a 40-1 shot, if he does nothing more than clog up the outer flow. This race in question was a complete reversal of what he usually does.

I think too many people cry that a driver stiffed or bet or cheated or whatever else. And I have heard nice things about the guy myself, but maybe freehold had a list of some drives of his that were questionable and not drives that were consistent with his style.

NJ Horseman usually knows about this, and he can correct me if I am wrong...but if they just told him not to come back and didnt specifically say why, they are doing nothing more than exercising their private property rights. (which more tracks should do, in my opinion)

FL:

I assume they just exercised their private property rights, but I was not in the room when he was asked to leave.  Wink In general, it is the prudent course of action.

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

When I owned horses in Chicago, I insisted that my trainer never drive Pat Berry.  I never mentioned anyone else's name.  That said, I have a very high win % betting Berry because I never bet favorites & sometimes he's so abusive, you can bet the horse back, knowing he can't possibly get a harder trip.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Dleestable

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »

Jersey,

Well I don't know what race they were watching, but I was led to believe it was a favorite that had run his last start?  I don't know.  I just know Pat and I have seen drivers that have been asked to leave before.  One is now racing at the Big M, so I guess anyone can be asked to leave if they choose to do it.
njhorseman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 10:51:04 PM »

Jersey,

Well I don't know what race they were watching, but I was led to believe it was a favorite that had run his last start?  I don't know.  I just know Pat and I have seen drivers that have been asked to leave before.  One is now racing at the Big M, so I guess anyone can be asked to leave if they choose to do it.

Donna:

I was there and saw the race. It looked bad. I don't whether he thought he had legitimate reasons for keeping a 1-5 shot under a double nelson death grip, sitting on the wood and gapped out, but it certainly didn't look good, and it was by no means his first suspicious looking drive.

I assume you're referring to George Brennan. Yes, he was kicked out of Freehold at one time, but he was reinstated years ago. The Meadowlands is a different story. Since it is owned by the state and not private property, it's virtually  impossible to bar a licensed individual. The only way they were able to toss Rucker a couple of years ago was because he violated the terms of a specific agreement he signed with the Meadowlands, by virtue of an EPO positive on one of his horses.

Dleestable

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 07:15:23 AM »

George Brennan

No not Brennan. Doesn't matter we will just to have to agree to disagree.
Bachst Inn

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 03:01:56 PM »

Thanks guys.  I think I finally figured out where Pat Berry has been lately.  Seems he went to visit his old friend Mickey Burke in Florida to get advice on what his next move should be.  Mickey suggested that he get himself one of those spanking new Harmer bikes because they make clogging the 2-path much more efficient when driving longshots and blocking in favorites on the half tracks.  Also, they fit real snuggly along the rail when sitting in  while driving odds-on favorites.  When Pat whined to the "lido" man that he didn't have the funds, the old man whispered some words of wisdom to him, evoking a smile and a  consenting nod from the off-the-ticket kid and away he went. In an unrelated story, USTA reports that a shiney red Harmer bike was stolen from a small stable at Pompano Park sometime between nov. 19th and 20th.  USTA asks anyone with info, please call the number posted.  Now back to the Patrick "off the ticket" Berry story.  On Nov. 21st it is rumored that  the "off the ticket" kid put a call into Chicago, telling Doc Narotsky that he would be available for immediate drives for the forseeable future, since things just weren't working out on the eastcoast.  Reportedly, he offered to drive for some of the smaller stables who no longer can use Todd Warren, and asked that Doc please tell Erv that he would be willing to pick up the slack from Brent Holland.  Also, could he post a flier in the racing secretary's office that he's selling a shiney red Harmer bike for way below market value.  While completely unconfirmed, it is believed the only interest in "the kid" came from some horsewoman named Donna.  I remain ...  Bachst Inn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: