Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 05:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrona's wit, descriptive dialogue stand out  (Read 6924 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »

Totally different situation -- with the huge Hispanic population in Chicago and the U.S., there is little need to assimilate; you can get by on broken English with a thick Hispanic accent, and then fall back on the more comfortable native language. Ozzie will continue to murder the English language as long as he's alive.

Yeah? Well, what was Herve Villechaize's excuse? You can't tell me there was a large population of French speaking midgets for him to pal around with in Hollywood all those years.
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »

Here's what I want to know. How do YOU know he's working to keep it the same?

Is this just some theory of yours that everyone assimilates their voice to sound more American? Because I can tell you from experience, that isn't true.

Some people do, and some people don't.

When I was growing up, there was a German war bride in the house next door. She always spoke with a very heavy German accent even 25-30 years after coming to the U.S. and living (and raising a family) all those years smack in the middle of Whitebread, USA.

OTOH, I know some northerners who've moved south, and the next thing you know, they're carrying on like Texans born. Or long time military folks - they always seem to end up with a slight southern accent.
Horse Voice

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »

Some people do, and some people don't.

When I was growing up, there was a German war bride in the house next door. She always spoke with a very heavy German accent even 25-30 years after coming to the U.S. and living (and raising a family) all those years smack in the middle of Whitebread, USA.

(English as a second language.)

OTOH, I know some northerners who've moved south, and the next thing you know, they're carrying on like Texans born. Or long time military folks - they always seem to end up with a slight southern accent.

(Already speaks English and a simple matter of exposure to local dialect.)
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »

The pressure is great in the South to sound like a Southerner. "Damn Yankees" and all that.

My sister moved to Louisiana and we called her 2 weeks later and she had the Southern accent.
Horse Voice

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »

Here's what I want to know. How do YOU know he's working to keep it the same?

Because I catch him saying things like "fast track" in a more neutral tone (oops!), then later if when says it again, it's much more deliberate, and "back" to the thick Aussie accent.

It's like he has the Aussie version of Botox for his vocal cords, and forgets to take it from time to time.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »

(English as a second language.)

(Already speaks English and a simple matter of exposure to local dialect.)

Okay, well how about this: When I lived in Phoenix, one of my wife's co-workers/friends from Louisiana had lived there for 10 years, and she still had the distinct Louisiana accent!
Horse Voice

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »

Okay, well how about this: When I lived in Phoenix, one of my wife's co-workers/friends from Louisiana had lived there for 10 years, and she still had the distinct Louisiana accent!

And I'll bet she loved the attention she got due to her "Southern Belle" drawl in Arizona ("the land of the bland")...didn't she?  Wink
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »

And I'll bet she loved the attention she got due to her "Southern Belle" drawl in Arizona ("the land of the bland")...didn't she?  Wink

I don't know. Never talked to her about it.

By the way, Arizona's not so bland if you know where the long time "Arizona native" businesses are, or get out of Phoenix (or even Tucson and Flagstaff nowadays) and out into the little towns that aren't overrun by transplant retirees/snowbirds from Illinois and Iowa. They're the ones dumping a big heaping helping of bland on the spice.
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »

Huh? How do you end up here from a comment about Ozzie Guillen?

Huh? How do you end up talking about Ozzie Guillen from a statement about Michael Wrona?

Use your head, Horse Voice. We were talking about immigrants' ability to pick up the local dialect, be it Aussie, Hispanic or Polish (btw, Moon  brought up the Poles, and I would still maintain most of the older Poles still have very thick accents and are not more "assimilated" than Wrona).
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »

Last time I was in AZ I had no less than 4 people ask me "Are you from Chicago?" or "Where are you from?"
Horse Voice

« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »

Use your head, Horse Voice. We were talking about immigrants' ability to pick up the local dialect, be it Aussie, Hispanic or Polish (btw, Moon  brought up the Poles, and I would still maintain most of the older Poles still have very thick accents and are not more "assimilated" than Wrona).

I am using my head -- that is why I keep making the distinction between those that speak English as a second language and those that don't...and why I give the former group a pass for having a thick accent when they speak English.

Wrona has no such excuse for his accent not "softening" over time -- he doesn't have translation issues -- so he's obviously faking it to maintain his "original" accent.

Is any of this sinking in yet? Or is English a second language to you, too?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »

Who really cares?

The subject was his "wit" and "descriptive dialog".
NIATROSS

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »

Maybe WRONA is a phony and is not really from Australia ? I think he lives in a double wide with all the other inbreds who post or live on the backstretch at t-bred tracks and he keeps his accent to keep his mother from driving him crazy.

Check with the hall monitor at the stable gate and he will direct you to the right trailer.

screwy screwy screwy screwy screwy screwy
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2008, 01:13:11 AM »

Accents vary from person to person.  A lot of it depends on how many different sounds you heard before age 5 or so.  Linguists will tell you if you never heard a particular sound during the crucial period, you will never recognize it or be able to reproduce it.

Some people can fake a particular accent: Kyra Sedgwick, Julian McMahon, Vivian Leigh.  Others can't.  Other people can do it when they are concentrating, but their original accent comes out when they get excited.  There's a wide variation, and at least some of it comes down to talent, just like musical or artistic ability.

glahn

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2008, 07:00:23 AM »

When Desi Arnez got angry he reverted back to Spanish.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2008, 09:26:01 AM »

And when Ralph Kramden got caught in a lie, he reverted to gibberish.

"hamanahamanahamana"
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »

That's pretty much what my husband says when I ask do I look fat in this dress. 

(he just can't lie)
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »

He's just stammering because he can't how hot you look in that dress.

(Us guys gotta stick together)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: