Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 11:22:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrona's wit, descriptive dialogue stand out  (Read 6957 times)
Thomas Graham

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 02:39:23 PM »

No I wouldn't hire Frank M. to call the Derby for that reason - though when he calls as himself I could consider it.

Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »

Wow, Horse Voice, you live in Chicago and you've never heard anybody who has lived here since WWII and still has an accent??

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »

And as long as they speak English, why do they need to lose their accent?  Vivie la difference.

There are many different "accents"  right here in the US, depending on which state you are in.

I wonder how a drawl would work, since the Derby is in the southern part of the US.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 05:16:45 PM »

Hahahaha! With a drawl, the race would be over and the guy would still be calling the break!

maroon
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »

I wonder if the people complaining about Wrona's accent have a problem with Trevor Denman.
Horse Voice

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »

I wonder if the people complaining about Wrona's accent have a problem with Trevor Denman.

I don't.

Denman's accent has evolved over time, as you might expect. Natural, not forced.

Horse Voice

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »

That's all Greek to me.  I still don't understand it.  And I can understand every single word Wrona says.  Without trying.  Sheesh.

Things must be way different in your part of the world.

No, things aren't different here. I can understand Wrona just fine, too.

That's because we both have heard numerous race calls from Wrona.

Now, for somebody who only listens to a few races a year -- like the DERBY...maybe not so easy.

Plus, woman are known to swoon when they hear English in a Brit or Aussie accent. Dilbert even did a whole week of comic strips about this, so you know it must be true.
Horse Voice

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »

Wow, Horse Voice, you live in Chicago and you've never heard anybody who has lived here since WWII and still has an accent??

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Moon, use your head and think -- do people that have been here since WWII sound today like they do the day they got here? Of course not. Their speech blends in with the local dialect.

The problem isn't that Wrona has an accent. I don't expect him to speak Omaha-neutral U.S. English.

I think he's faking the thickness of the accent, and it jangles up the flow of his call at times because he's more concerned with how he sounds than just calling the damn race.

Maybe it's a subtle thing, but once you realize it's going on, it might as well be nails on a chalkboard -- it's that annoying.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »

I don't.

Denman's accent has evolved over time, as you might expect. Natural, not forced.

Oh, COME ON! I listened to his race calls from 10 years ago and it's exactly the same.

Tongue
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »

Moon, use your head and think -- do people that have been here since WWII sound today like they do the day they got here? Of course not. Their speech blends in with the local dialect.

The problem isn't that Wrona has an accent. I don't expect him to speak Omaha-neutral U.S. English.

I think he's faking the thickness of the accent, and it jangles up the flow of his call at times because he's more concerned with how he sounds than just calling the damn race.

Maybe it's a subtle thing, but once you realize it's going on, it might as well be nails on a chalkboard -- it's that annoying.

Oh, stop. The person who has a heavy Polish accent and has lived here for 50+ years has somehow subtly changed his accent over the years and Wrona hasn't??
Horse Voice

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »

Oh, stop. The person who has a heavy Polish accent and has lived here for 50+ years has somehow subtly changed his accent over the years and Wrona hasn't??

Correct. It's called "assimilating". Most people do it without even giving it any thought.

That's what makes Wrona a fake -- his thick, overwrought accent is the same as the first day he entered the U.S. I'm telling you, he practices his accent to keep it that thick and tortured, and clearly, he's got some people fooled.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »

Well, I'm fooled then.  And I dont' swoon over anyone's accent. 

Swooning takes more than that for me.
Horse Voice

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »

Well, I'm fooled then.  And I dont' swoon over anyone's accent. 

Swooning takes more than that for me.

Pam, are you sure? The lady in this comic strip looks awfullly familiar!  Grin

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »

Correct. It's called "assimilating". Most people do it without even giving it any thought.

That's what makes Wrona a fake -- his thick, overwrought accent is the same as the first day he entered the U.S. I'm telling you, he practices his accent to keep it that thick and tortured, and clearly, he's got some people fooled.

It's like Ozzie Guillen continually practicing that Venezuelan accent. It never gets better! Dam disrespectful phony funniners!
Horse Voice

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »

It's like Ozzie Guillen continually practicing that Venezuelan accent. It never gets better! Dam disrespectful phony funniners!

Totally different situation -- with the huge Hispanic population in Chicago and the U.S., there is little need to assimilate; you can get by on broken English with a thick Hispanic accent, and then fall back on the more comfortable native language. Ozzie will continue to murder the English language as long as he's alive.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 09:52:48 PM »

Pam, are you sure? The lady in this comic strip looks awfullly familiar!  Grin

You are mean!  Just kidding.  I'm laughing.  But really, my husband is the only man who makes me swoon.  Well, him and Peter G.  But that's a joke between us, because I really like to hear him call and my husband teases me about him.  (my husband knows never to be really jealous of anyone)
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

I knew a German taylor that used to sound like he just got off the U-boat.  He did come off a U-boat, but it was 40 years before I met him.   I wouldn't want him calling a race, but man, that little Nazi could sew!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:25:34 PM by Coldfooter » Report to moderator   Logged
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »

Totally different situation -- with the huge Hispanic population in Chicago and the U.S., there is little need to assimilate; you can get by on broken English with a thick Hispanic accent, and then fall back on the more comfortable native language. Ozzie will continue to murder the English language as long as he's alive.

And there's no huge Polish population in Chicago? Oh. I see. I guess Chicago doesn't have the second largest population of Poles in the world, next to Warsaw.

And let's not forget that these ethnic groups have kept themselves fairly segregated. But nevermind that we have Polish neighborhoods, or Ukranian neighborhoods, they've been thoroughly assimilated and picked up the Chicago accent.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!
Horse Voice

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 07:38:47 AM »

And there's no huge Polish population in Chicago? Oh. I see. I guess Chicago doesn't have the second largest population of Poles in the world, next to Warsaw.

And let's not forget that these ethnic groups have kept themselves fairly segregated. But nevermind that we have Polish neighborhoods, or Ukranian neighborhoods, they've been thoroughly assimilated and picked up the Chicago accent.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!

Huh? How do you end up here from a comment about Ozzie Guillen? Wait, my Great Uncle Oswald is Polish, Oswald = Ozzie, that must be it.  Huh

(And they used to keep themselves "fairly segregated", but they DID make an effort to learn English.)

Listen, you guys are *improving* my argument, not refuting it. Polish, Ukranian, Elbonian, whatever -- all pick up English as a second language, chop it up at first, then get better with it as the original accent eases over time. It's natural.

Wrona's only working with one language, and he still sounds like he just got plucked out of bush country. What's his excuse?
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 09:02:48 AM »

I knew a German taylor that used to sound like he just got off the U-boat.  He did come off a U-boat, but it was 40 years before I met him.   I wouldn't want him calling a race, but man, that little Nazi could sew!

Hahahaha! Damn little Nazis!!!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »

Huh? How do you end up here from a comment about Ozzie Guillen? Wait, my Great Uncle Oswald is Polish, Oswald = Ozzie, that must be it.  Huh

(And they used to keep themselves "fairly segregated", but they DID make an effort to learn English.)

Listen, you guys are *improving* my argument, not refuting it. Polish, Ukranian, Elbonian, whatever -- all pick up English as a second language, chop it up at first, then get better with it as the original accent eases over time. It's natural.

Wrona's only working with one language, and he still sounds like he just got plucked out of bush country. What's his excuse?

That's what I am saying - They DON'T improve over the years. Their KIDS speak English well, but the adults don't.

I worked in a hospital in Ukrainian village before it became gentrified and we hired all the Poles who had been in the country since after WWII and 90% still had the heavy accent 30 years later and a lot of them didn't even speak English.

And anyway, think about it. If your job was your voice, would you CHANGE it? I don't think so.
Horse Voice

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »

And anyway, think about it. If your job was your voice, would you CHANGE it? I don't think so.

I'd let it flow naturally, like Denman.

I wouldn't change it *deliberately*, which, if you think about it, is EXACTLY what Wrona is doing by working on keeping his accent the same as it was 20 years ago.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »

He's changing by keeping it the same.

OK!
Horse Voice

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »

He's changing by keeping it the same.

OK!

Depends on your definition of change, I guess.

If the paint on your house peels, and you re-paint it -- is that a "change"?
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

Here's what I want to know. How do YOU know he's working to keep it the same?

Is this just some theory of yours that everyone assimilates their voice to sound more American? Because I can tell you from experience, that isn't true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: