Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 06:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrona's wit, descriptive dialogue stand out  (Read 6902 times)
clockerbob

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:37:16 PM »

http://www.drf.com/news/article/99969.html

Wrona long has been known for races such as the 1990 Hollywood Turf Cup, a marathon turf race in which he said about Itsallgreektome, "Can he stay the distance? He stays like a mother-in-law!!"
Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:44:34 PM »

He's my favorite. I wish they never would have let him go at Arlington.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »

That "Stays like a mother in law" just killed me.  It does to this day.

I laugh every time I think of it.

I've gotten so many guys yelling it now.  They didn't even hear the original.  I had to tell them it wasn't me!  Sheesh!
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »

I got to hear Wrona call the races one year at Blue Grass Downs.
In one race, the horse on the lead blew the turn coming into the stretch.
They had trees and bushes planted near the outer rail, and as the horse headed that way Wrona said, "Horse X is headed for the bushes."
I'll never forget that one!
Boy do I miss that BGD meet, it was my all-time favorite place to go to the races. When they dropped their fall thoroughbred meet, I was devastated.
bjchapin1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »

Wrona's call in the AP Cigar race in 1996 was always one of my favorites.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »

I got to hear Wrona call the races one year at Blue Grass Downs.
In one race, the horse on the lead blew the turn coming into the stretch.
They had trees and bushes planted near the outer rail, and as the horse headed that way Wrona said, "Horse X is headed for the bushes."
I'll never forget that one!
Boy do I miss that BGD meet, it was my all-time favorite place to go to the races. When they dropped their fall thoroughbred meet, I was devastated.

That was one of the tiniest tracks, grandstand-wise, I ever visited.

They still race harness, don't they? You could drive over for an evening of solid entertainment and nostalgia.

Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »

Yeah, they still run a harness meet in the summer, but I always swore I'd never drive longer than an hour to go to the harness races.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:34:57 PM »

Wrona's call in the AP Cigar race in 1996 was always one of my favorites.

When Wrona was at Arlington, I seem to remember this board not liking him too much.  I thought he was a good caller, especially helpful for when AP was making their international racing push.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

When Wrona was at Arlington, I seem to remember this board not liking him too much.  I thought he was a good caller, especially helpful for when AP was making their international racing push.

Everybody hated him! I wonder if all those people left or they just changed their mind.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

Everybody hated him! I wonder if all those people left or they just changed their mind.

I still hate him. As long as he's not coming back to Illinois, it's no problem for me. Maybe I'd have to turn down the TV sound for the KY Derby, though.

Wrona is yesterday's news. The up and comer is Larry Collmus.
Coldfooter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »

Wrona is yesterdays news the up and comer is Hector Villenueva.   

Oops wrong topic wrong decade.
Horse Voice

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:31:52 PM »

I still hate him. As long as he's not coming back to Illinois, it's no problem for me. Maybe I'd have to turn down the TV sound for the KY Derby, though.

Wrona is yesterday's news. The up and comer is Larry Collmus.

I second CT's notion. Wrona = Stinko, a major mistake.

The guy has been in the U.S., what, 20 years? Don't you think he would have lost some of that overwrought Aussie accent by now? Totally contrived.

I'll never forget about the time Wrona wrote in to the DRF on the topic of live race calls at simo facilities: Wrona actually said that the volume of each successive race call should be increased! WAFI!! Like I don't already have enough g-d noise when I'm trying to handicap and bet.

And the above tells you all you need to know about Wrona: he isn't there to describe the show for you, no sir.

He *is* the show, at least to his way of thinking.

Most telling stat: Wrona has been kicked out of almost every decent racetrack in the U.S. He's also been kicked out of Retama Park.

(OK, I know he wasn't "kicked out" of AP -- he lost his job when AP shut down...but I can envision a scenario where RLD, too embarrassed to admit that a mistake was made, shuts down AP rather than listen to another season of Wrona's prolonged and self-absorbed bleating. Hey, anything is possible, right?)

Anyway, he's a bad fit at Churchill, just any way you look at it. His tired overcalls are about as subtle as a wet fart in a crowded elevator, and just about as welcome.

Is this who we want calling America's signature race? 
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »

Whew!   Now tell us how you REALLY feel.  Ha ha.
NIATROSS

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »

I second CT's notion. Wrona = Stinko, a major mistake.

The guy has been in the U.S., what, 20 years? Don't you think he would have lost some of that overwrought Aussie accent by now? Totally contrived.

I'll never forget about the time Wrona wrote in to the DRF on the topic of live race calls at simo facilities: Wrona actually said that the volume of each successive race call should be increased! WAFI!! Like I don't already have enough g-d noise when I'm trying to handicap and bet.

And the above tells you all you need to know about Wrona: he isn't there to describe the show for you, no sir.

He *is* the show, at least to his way of thinking.

Most telling stat: Wrona has been kicked out of almost every decent racetrack in the U.S. He's also been kicked out of Retama Park.

(OK, I know he wasn't "kicked out" of AP -- he lost his job when AP shut down...but I can envision a scenario where RLD, too embarrassed to admit that a mistake was made, shuts down AP rather than listen to another season of Wrona's prolonged and self-absorbed bleating. Hey, anything is possible, right?)

Anyway, he's a bad fit at Churchill, just any way you look at it. His tired overcalls are about as subtle as a wet fart in a crowded elevator, and just about as welcome.

Is this who we want calling America's signature race? 

Again not to anyone's surprise the bitter old man does not have a positive thing to say.
Horse Voice

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »

Again not to anyone's surprise the bitter old man does not have a positive thing to say.

Hey, Hall Monitor -- you have an opinion either way on this thread, or are you just hijacking it -- something you jump all over everyone else's ass for?
NIATROSS

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »

Hey, Hall Monitor -- you have an opinion either way on this thread, or are you just hijacking it -- something you jump all over everyone else's ass for?

I decided to act exactly like you.I came over here right after you ruined a thread on the harness side.You know the side where the inbreds post.
Horse Voice

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »

I decided to act exactly like you.I came over here right after you ruined a thread on the harness side.You know the side where the inbreds post.

Petty child. Nothing good on TV?
NIATROSS

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

Petty child. Nothing good on TV?

YOU FORGOT ? WE DON'T HAVE TV IN MY DOUBLE WIDE.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »

Why would he lose the Aussie accent?? It's charming. He's got a great voice. You can always hear him and understand him, which isn't that easy a lot of the time for us older folks (I'm looking at you, APCD Dan!!!).

maroon maroon maroon maroon maroon maroon maroon
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »

I'm confused.  Why would he NEED to lose the accent.  He speaks English, what more can you want?  I do not understand why his accent would hurt his chances for the big race.
Horse Voice

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 12:33:45 AM »

I'm confused.  Why would he NEED to lose the accent.  He speaks English, what more can you want?  I do not understand why his accent would hurt his chances for the big race.

It sounds charming in the Big City, but in the Mid-South, he'll come off as one of the high-fallutin' furriners. That won't fly with the local good ol' boys in Lou-L-Ville. What made Luke K. a great announcer was that he had a neutral dialect -- you didn't have to strain to understand him. Once-a-year horse race listeners (Kentucky Derby) might not understand Wrona at all. Maybe CDI will use subtitles for the big race if they hire Wrona.

Also, don't want to be too condescending here, but some people equate the accent with a sort of "class". Moon referred to it as "charming". OK, fine...to-may-toe, to-mah-toe; style over substance if you ask me, but that's not my real complaint.

My question is: if any of us picked up, left the U.S., and moved to Austrailia for 20 years, don't you think some of the local dialect would have crept into our speech? Of course it would have. Same thing would happen if we were born and raised in Austrailia and then lived here for 20 years.

Not to Wrona, though -- he sounds like he left the Outback for the first time, caught the Qantas all-nighter, and just landed stateside yesterday. He's forcing that accent these days, which is cheap schtick IMO. (Compare to Denman, whose accent has softened considerably over time.)

I can fake a thick Aussie accent, too -- does that make me "charming"? Or just a fake?
Thomas Graham

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »

I'll put it this way - can you imagine them hiring an American-sounding announcer (no matter how long in Australia) to call the Melbourne Cup?  Of course not.  So why hire an Aussie-sounding American (yes, Wrona is a citizen) to call America's most famous race?
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »

Vic Stauffer, now there's a racecaller thumbs up
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »

That's all Greek to me.  I still don't understand it.  And I can understand every single word Wrona says.  Without trying.  Sheesh.

Things must be way different in your part of the world.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »

P.S.  Would you hire that dunce who does Rodney Dangerfield to call the Derby?

He doesn't have an accent.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: