Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 02:02:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very cool...  (Read 1309 times)
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:22:30 PM »

I think I've brought it up before, but it's so neat it's always worth talking about...

When looking to procrastinate work, there's two wonderful things about watching the Freehold signal:

1. Larry Lederman
2. http://www.goautochart.com

If you get a chance to watch this system in action, it's quite neat...

Best,
EW
Report to moderator   Logged

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
njhorseman

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »

I think I've brought it up before, but it's so neat it's always worth talking about...

When looking to procrastinate work, there's two wonderful things about watching the Freehold signal:

1. Larry Lederman
2. http://www.goautochart.com

If you get a chance to watch this system in action, it's quite neat...

Best,
EW

EW:
I agree about Lederman, but not Autochart. Running order is only changed at the places on the track which have their equipment. As a result there are numerous times the order is incorrect for an eighth to almost a quarter mile (lead changes just past the quarter are the best example). The transmitter is in the horse's head number, which sometimes falls off, leaving that horse unidentified for much, if not all of the race. As a result I've seen a couple of races where the record of the lead horse that is posted with the fractions in the upper right hand side of the screen  has been wrong at every call, because the real leader lost his head number and Autochart is recording the second horse as the leader. Some bettors may throw away winning tickets as a result. Also, there is no longer a standard teletimer attached to the tote board, which means that the live, on track patron not looking at a TV screen has a hard time keeping track of the fractions.

Of course, nothing at Freehold is geared for the on track bettors...they only tolerate us because they have to in order to have simulcasting. Roll Eyes
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:51:05 PM »

EW:
I agree about Lederman, but not Autochart. Running order is only changed at the places on the track which have their equipment. As a result there are numerous times the order is incorrect for an eighth to almost a quarter mile (lead changes just past the quarter are the best example). The transmitter is in the horse's head number, which sometimes falls off, leaving that horse unidentified for much, if not all of the race. As a result I've seen a couple of races where the record of the lead horse that is posted with the fractions in the upper right hand side of the screen  has been wrong at every call, because the real leader lost his head number and Autochart is recording the second horse as the leader. Some bettors may throw away winning tickets as a result. Also, there is no longer a standard teletimer attached to the tote board, which means that the live, on track patron not looking at a TV screen has a hard time keeping track of the fractions.

Of course, nothing at Freehold is geared for the on track bettors...they only tolerate us because they have to in order to have simulcasting. Roll Eyes

Thanks for the on-track update, Paul.  Wasn't aware of all the troubles, as I only throw on the signal every once in awhile.

It does appear that the equipment is only every eighth, which can create trouble in between the stations.  Still, even with the troubles, it's nice to see someone attempt to use technology in this game we love.

Now -- why there's no teletimer on-track?  That's beyond me.  I hope autochart has gotten some compliants about that.  Now I know what Larry seems to hesitate sometimes on the fractionals.

Best,
EW

edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »

Another sidenote: I really like the Freehold plant when I visited, but it was a couple years ago.  I know there are many complaints about the facility, but for live racing -- it was most enjoyable.

Then again, I was raised around the track, so as long as there's horses, I'm pretty happy.

Best,
EW

njhorseman

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:24:04 PM »

Another sidenote: I really like the Freehold plant when I visited, but it was a couple years ago.  I know there are many complaints about the facility, but for live racing -- it was most enjoyable.

Then again, I was raised around the track, so as long as there's horses, I'm pretty happy.

Best,
EW

EW:
All I know is that mangement spends millions on creating and renovating fancier and fancier simulcasting rooms, while eliminating the non-smoking floor of the grandstand, and not painting it. When I go to the track, which isn't half as often as I did a few years ago, I have to breathe in the smoke and have paint chips fall on my head from the duct work above my seat that hasn't been repainted since the place was rebuilt after the fire.

Of course, there's the non-functional tote board, which means you have to plant yourself under a TV inside to see DD and exacta prices. Freehold used to be a  great place for sitting outside on a bench or folding chair, but you can't any more, because you don't get enough wagering information.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:26:39 PM »

EW:
All I know is that mangement spends millions on creating and renovating fancier and fancier simulcasting rooms, while eliminating the non-smoking floor of the grandstand, and not painting it. When I go to the track, which isn't half as often as I did a few years ago, I have to breathe in the smoke and have paint chips fall on my head from the duct work above my seat that hasn't been repainted since the place was rebuilt after the fire.

Of course, there's the non-functional tote board, which means you have to plant yourself under a TV inside to see DD and exacta prices. Freehold used to be a  great place for sitting outside on a bench or folding chair, but you can't any more, because you don't get enough wagering information.

All excellent points, Paul.  To be honest, this all falls dead on me, because I don't go to the track to bet...it's merely to quench my need for live racing.

All these tracks need to put some gamblers/fans in charge.  There's so many obvious oversights, that something needs to be done.

Best,
EW

njhorseman

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »

All excellent points, Paul.  To be honest, this all falls dead on me, because I don't go to the track to bet...it's merely to quench my need for live racing.

All these tracks need to put some gamblers/fans in charge.  There's so many obvious oversights, that something needs to be done.

Best,
EW

EW:
I almost never bet any serious money except when I'm at the track for live racing. There's too much useful handicapping information to be gained from warm ups.
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 05:25:18 AM »

EW:
I almost never bet any serious money except when I'm at the track for live racing. There's too much useful handicapping information to be gained from warm ups.

A very understandable stance, Paul.

Given that I work during the day -- handicapping before I leave is out the door.  Consequently, I'm left with the prospect of the computer doing most of my handicapping.  All I have time to do is watch my replays.

So, if I can have the computers run my numbers, and watch my replays when time permits at night, I'm about as positive as I can be...and that's why I don't choose to go out to wager live.

At the same time, I have friends that refuse to bet big $ without seeing the score, so I completely understand.

Best,
EW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: