Breedersí Cup World Championships 2008 Quick Facts
* Garrett Gomez is the first rider in the history of the Breedersí Cup World Championships to ride more than two winners at a single Championship.
* Gomez posted the first of his four victories on Friday when he started off the Championships with a win aboard Ventura in the Filly & Mare Sprint. On Saturday, Gomez scored with Albertus Maximus (Dirt Mile), Midshipman (Juvenile) and Midnight Lute (Sprint).
* His victory aboard Midnight Lute made the Bob Baffert trainee the first repeat winner of the Sprint. Baffert became the sixth trainer in the Championships to win the same race in consecutive years with the same horse.
* Gomez now has eight victories in the World Championships, tied with Gary Stevens for fifth-best all-time. Jerry Bailey owns the record with 15 victories.
* The only other riders to win multiple races over the weekend were Frankie Dettori, who won the $5 million Classic aboard Ravenís Pass and the Juvenile Turf on Donativum, and Mike Smith, who had two triumphs on Friday with Zenyatta in the Ladiesí Classic and Stardom Bound in the Juvenile Fillies.
* Four jockeys picked up their first World Championships victory this weekend: Jose Lezcano (Maram, Juvenile Fillies Turf), Richard Migliore (Desert Code, Turf Sprint), Patrick Smullen (Muhannak, Marathon) and Ryan Moore (Conduit, Turf). Lezcano and Moore became the 11th and 12th riders in the Breedersí Cup history to win with his first mounts and both join Ray Sibille (Great Communicator, 1988 Turf) to win with their only Breedersí Cup mount.
* Baffert and John Gosden were the only trainers to pick up multiple wins.
* In addition to Midnight Lute, Baffert won the Juvenile with Midshipman. Gosden saddled Classic winner Ravenís Pass and Juvenile Turf winner Donativum.
* Three trainers won Breedersí Cup races with their initial Championships starters:
Chad Brown saddled Maram to victory in the Juvenile Fillies Turf on Friday and on Saturday Freddy Head saddled Mile winner Goldikova and Ralph Beckett took the Marathon with Muhannak.
* In addition to that trio, four other trainers registered their first Breedersí Cup victories, led by John Shirreffs, who saddled Zenyatta to win the Ladiesí Classic. Other first-time winning trainers were Vladimir Cerin (Albertus Maximus, Dirt Mile), Jonathan Sheppard (Forever Together, Filly & Mare Turf) and Christopher Paasch (Stardom Bound, Juvenile Fillies).