Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 12:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2 million Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies - Wed. notes  (Read 440 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 22, 2008, 05:44:44 PM »

Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Oct. 24-25

$2 million Bessemer Trust
Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (Grade I)
World Championships
Two-Year-Old Fillies
1 1/16 Miles

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Be Smart (Tr: D. Wayne Lukas) – Be Smart, a  promising daughter of Smarty Jones, galloped Wednesday for the first time on the Pro-Ride surface in the $2 million Bessemer Trust Juvenile Fillies, although she has already run on a synthetic track and was second in the Alcibiades at Keeneland in her most recent start.
“She’s doing really well and I’m feeling very good about where I’ve got her,” said trainer D. Wayne Lukas, who is seeking his sixth victory in the Juvenile Fillies. “I couldn’t be more pleased. We jumped from the shallow end to the deep end of the pool (maiden debut to stakes) without a doubt, but she’s a very talented filly and I’ve had some good fillies in the past that were able to get lucky in this series.”
After leading most of the way at 5 1/2f to score in her career debut, Lukas then took her to Keeneland and tried her with stakes company on Oct. 3.
“I thought that even though we were going from five and a half furlongs out to a mile and a sixteenth it was worth it,” said Lukas, a longtime California resident who now calls Kentucky home.
“The main thing was I wanted to see if she liked the synthetic, which I felt like she would because most horses that are glib and gifted get over the ground and adapt to most anything. She will run on anything. If that had been dirt, I think she’d have won the Alcibiades. The filly that went with her ran last and just collapsed, and she kept on running and made a race of it.”

Black Magic Mama (Tr: Doug O'Neill; ex. rider: Beto Gomez) – The maiden Black Magic Mama galloped 1 1/2m Wednesday under exercise rider Beto Gomez.
“I’m very happy with post position three,” trainer Doug O’Neill said. “That’s a big improvement over post 10 in the Oak Leaf.”
Black Magic Mama finished fourth in the Oak Leaf in her most recent start.

C. S. Silk (Tr: Dale Romans) – With trainer Dale Romans looking on, C.S. Silk stood in the gate and then galloped 1 1/2m on Wednesday as she prepares for Friday’s race.
While most of her competitors are coming off preps in early October or late September, C.S. Silk has not raced since winning the Sept. 6 Arlington-Washington Lassie by six lengths. Romans explained that while he did consider Keeneland’s Alcibiades on Oct. 3, he knew the daughter Medaglia d’Oro’s best shot of winning the Juvenile Fillies was to train up to the race.
“We felt our best chance of winning the Breeders’ Cup, was to skip having another prep,” Romans said. “She was coming off a layoff in the Lassie and that worked. We think she has a legitimate chance here and training up to the race gives her the best shot. She’s the real deal.
“She’s won on dirt and Polytrack, so we hope she’s the type that will run on anything. She seems to have adjusted well. She was bouncing around yesterday afternoon.”
Jockey Robby Albarado, aboard for the filly’s past two wins, has the mount again on Saturday.

Dave's Revenge (Tr: Robert Hess Jr.) – Dave’s Revenge, an upset winner in her career debut at Del Mar on Aug. 31, made a mid-morning appearance on the Pro-Ride at Santa Anita when galloping on Wednesday in anticipation of a start in the Juvenile Fillies.
Trained by Bob Hess, the daughter of The Cliff’s Edge was pre-entered with first preference for Juvenile Fillies Turf, but was sixth on the preference list for that race and will start in the Juvenile Fillies instead.
The filly worked 5f in 58 4/5 on Oct. 17 at Santa Anita.

Doremifasollatido (Tr: Jimmy Jerkens; ex rider: Kelvin Pahal) – Trainer Jimmy Jerkens sent his Juvenile Fillies hopeful Doremifasollatido to the track for a
1 1/2m gallop under Kelvin Pahal Wednesday morning.
“They’ll both blow out a little bit, just a quarter of a mile, tomorrow,” said Jerkens, who is also preparing Zaftig for a start in Friday’s Filly & Mare Sprint.
Doremifasollatido will break from the No. 13 post on Friday.
“It’s not good,” Jerkens said. “I don’t know what to tell the jockey. If he breaks good, I guess he’s got to come out a little bit and try to cross over. If not, he’ll have to try to tuck in. There’s not much you can do about it except give him a leg up.”

Dream Empress (Tr: Ken McPeek) – The Alcibiades winner was part of a large contingent of horses from Kentucky and Oklahoma on a flight due to arrive late morning on Wednesday. Trainer Ken McPeek was scheduled to arrive later in the day.

Evita Argentina (Tr: John Sadler; ex. rider: Dana Barnes) – Halo Farms and Three Sisters Thoroughbreds’ Evita Argentina galloped 1 1/4m under exercise rider Dana Barnes at Santa Anita on Wednesday morning for trainer John Sadler.
            Alex Solis, who rode Evita Argentina to a fourth-place finish behind Stardom Bound in the Del Mar Debutante, has the call Friday and will break from post position one.
            The Juvenile Fillies will mark Evita Argentina’s two-turn debut and Solis is not concerned that the extra distance will be a problem.
            “She has been training real good and when I worked her the other day (6f in 1:12 1/5 at Hollywood Park on Oct. 16) she did it real easy and galloped out strong,” Solis said.
            Evita Argentina also was pre-entered in the Juvenile Fillies Turf, but Sadler opted to keep her on the main track.
            “We had another filly for the grass (Emmy Darling),” Sadler said, “plus she (Evita Argentina) is the only one in the field to have beaten Stardom Bound.”
            Evita Argentina beat Stardom Bound, the 2-1 morning line favorite for the Juvenile Fillies, in the Sorrento at Del Mar by a length.

Palacio de Amor (Tr: Myung Kwon Cho; ex. rider: Diego Sotelo) – Myung Kwon Cho’s owned and trained Palacio de Amor, runner-up in Oak Tree’s Oak Leaf Stakes, galloped 1m Wednesday as her preparation continued for Friday’s running of the Juvenile Fillies.
Assistant trainer Maria Ayala expressed enthusiasm for the filly’s post position.
“She’ll do fine from there (post nine),” Ayala said Wednesday of Tuesday’s post-position draw. “She has enough speed to find a good position early.”

Persistently (Tr: Shug McGaughey) – The Shug McGaughey-trained filly galloped 1 1/4m Wednesday morning before visiting the paddock on her way back to Barn 48 on the Santa Anita backstretch.
McGaughey, who will saddle four horses for Breeders’ Cup events, has been pleased with the pre-race preparation of Consequence (Juvenile Fillies), Dancing Forever (Turf) and Carriage Trail (Ladies’ Classic). Persistently, who will race on a synthetic surface for the first time in the Juvenile Fillies, hasn’t instilled unbridled confidence in her trainer.
“Persistently may not have been as aggressive, but she’s not been aggressive anyway,” said McGaughey, whose stakes-placed filly has developed an off-the-pace running style. “So she’s a bit of a question mark to me.”
Alan Garcia has the mount aboard the Phipps Stable homebred.

Pursuit of Glory (Tr: David Wachman) – Pursuit of Glory, who owns a victory over a synthetic course, cantered around the main track at Santa Anita Wednesday morning.
            The daughter of Fusaichi Pegasus, who was third in the Cheveley Park Stakes on grass last out, made her first two starts over the Polytrack at Dundalk.
            “It was the only way we could get her started,” said trainer David Wachman. “We had a very wet summer in Ireland and the ground was very soft. So she had her first two runs on the Polytrack. Of course, the Breeders’ Cup was also in the back of our mind.”
            Pursuit of Glory, who broke her maiden on Sept. 15, has never been beyond 6f.
            “I don’t think the extra distance will be a problem,” Wachman said. “She’s run twice around bends, and it’s easier to get the trip on a turning track. She’s a very adaptable filly.”
            Johnny Murtagh again has the mount as Pursuit of Glory goes from post 11 in the field of 13.
            “With a bit of luck, she should have a chance,” the trainer said.

Sky Diva (Tr: Steve Klesaris) – Sky Diva has run only twice, winning both of those races by nearly 14 combined lengths. It’s obvious that she has physical talent, but according to trainer Steve Klesaris, she’s ahead of the game mentally as well.
            “She’s only two, but she’s shown nothing but professionalism,” the conditioner said.
            The freshman daughter of Sky Mesa broke her maiden at first asking over a sloppy two-turn mile at Delaware Park, and although the distance of the Frizette remained the same, Klesaris felt like he was actually “cutting her back.”
            “This is a route filly to the bone,” he said. “I wish the race (Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies) was a mile-and-a-quarter.”

Stardom Bound (Tr: Christopher Paasch; ex. rider: Bruno Delgadillo) – Stardom Bound, the Oak Leaf Stakes and Del Mar Debutante winner, galloped 1 1/2m under exercise rider Bruno Delgadillo at Hollywood Park Wednesday before being shipped to Santa Anita.
“I wanted to let her settle in the stall, eat breakfast and school in the paddock,” said trainer Chris Paasch. “She made the trip, and she’s having lunch in her stall. Everything went perfect.”
Paasch said he has learned never to take anything for granted, especially with a 2yo.
“All you do from now until Friday is hold your breath until you turn blue,” Paasch said of the tension.

Van Lear Rose (Tr: Catherine Day-Phillips) – Catherine Day-Phillips watched Van Lear Rose on the track from her pony this morning and said the Kingview Farm homebred breezed 2f in 24, while the clockers credited the filly with a 3f work in 36 1/5.
  “She seems to like the track and she’s got a good feel for it,” reported Day-Phillips, the daughter of Canadian Hall of Fame trainer James Day.
“She’s much more confident now. She seems to lap up the click of the shutters. She’s very proud of herself.”
            The Mazarine Stakes winner is away from her home base at Woodbine for the first time, but she seems to be adapting well to Southern California.
            “The first time you ship a horse you’re always curious about how they will handle the experience, especially when there are all those cameras on the rail. She handled it all just fine and was posing for the photographers.”
            Candice Bowyer, the assistant to Day-Phillips and the filly’s regular exercise rider, was in the irons this morning.

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: