Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 02, 2014, 01:34:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Trip to Hawthorne  (Read 2456 times)
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »

In my experience, almost everybody betting live is outside during the race. Because you can't see anything through those windows.
Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »

In my experience, almost everybody betting live is outside during the race. Because you can't see anything through those windows.

...and you were last there, when, in 199_? (fill in the blank)

Come back to Hawthorne, Moon -- they cleaned the windows just for you!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 01:46:44 PM »

...and you were last there, when, in 199_? (fill in the blank)

Come back to Hawthorne, Moon -- they cleaned the windows just for you!

It's more glare than cleaning. Although, the windows were always streaked.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 02:42:43 PM »

This from the expert who hasn't set foot in the place since 1998.

This is true.  I was there in the summer of that year and do not remember very many people being outside.  The apron between the track and the building was not very big and there were two or three rows of seats out there that were mostly empty.  The most people that were out there were those who had sponsored some race and then they would run back inside.  The best place to watch the races was from the clubhouse side where they had an indoor concert stage and a level above that.  The room upstairs where they have the brunch and bar was nice too.

I did like the tunnel under the track that took you to a saddling area in the infield that is not used.  I guess horses do not like tunnels.

Seeing the horses saddled in the saddling basement room was not real great as there was not much room for any audience, even owners.

After that, I got the idea that people did not go see the horses or go outside much.  Most of the trainers hung around on the first floor, but so did the track characters.  Although, I must say that I was never harrassed sexually.

Oh, one time I did sit in a nice open air box at the level that had the brunch and bar.

Maybe everything has changed since that time.

Moon

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »

This is true.  I was there in the summer of that year and do not remember very many people being outside.  The apron between the track and the building was not very big and there were two or three rows of seats out there that were mostly empty.  The most people that were out there were those who had sponsored some race and then they would run back inside.  The best place to watch the races was from the clubhouse side where they had an indoor concert stage and a level above that.  The room upstairs where they have the brunch and bar was nice too.

I did like the tunnel under the track that took you to a saddling area in the infield that is not used.  I guess horses do not like tunnels.

Seeing the horses saddled in the saddling basement room was not real great as there was not much room for any audience, even owners.

After that, I got the idea that people did not go see the horses or go outside much.  Most of the trainers hung around on the first floor, but so did the track characters.  Although, I must say that I was never harrassed sexually.

Oh, one time I did sit in a nice open air box at the level that had the brunch and bar.

Maybe everything has changed since that time.

They use the tunnel and the infield as a paddock for Harness racing, IIRC.

If horses were afraid of tunnels, how do they possibly get them down into the underground thoroughbred paddock?

maroon maroon maroon
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:15:55 PM by Moon » Report to moderator   Logged
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »

They use the tunnel and the infield as a paddock for Harness racing, IIRC.

No they don't.  Harness paddock is on the backstretch.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »

This is true.  I was there in the summer of that year and do not remember very many people being outside.

How many people are outside depends on the weather. If it's nice you get a nice outside crowd. If it's crappy, which it usually is for both Hawthorne meets, most people will stay inside and watch through the windows or on TV. Just like Arlington! Except more windows.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »

Of course, a lot of people on the apron at AP rely on the Jumbotron to view what is happening for most of the race, esp. since the tote board and trees block the backstretch view of the race from the apron level.  HAW doesn't have a jumbotron.  But windows run the entire length of the building, with a view on floors 1, 2, & 3, with the 3rd floor being outdoors.  No TV's in the 2nd floor grandstand seats or the 3rd floor outdoor seats (and indoor windows), but there is a good view of the entire track from those levels. 
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 12:30:32 PM »

The Arlington apron also has a little more elevation to it, which helps the outdoor viewing to some extent.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: