Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 20, 2014, 09:13:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catching up with the Gabriels  (Read 1693 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« on: November 02, 2005, 01:04:27 PM »

Thoroughbred Times has an article about the Gabriels moving to Dubai and settling in. Christine says she hopes to land a job similar to her old one. Wow! A whole new world of names to mispronounce.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/thisweek/weekview.asp?recno=58659
Report to moderator   Logged
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »

Thoroughbred Times has an article about the Gabriels moving to Dubai and settling in. Christine says she hopes to land a job similar to her old one. Wow! A whole new world of names to mispronounce.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/thisweek/weekview.asp?recno=58659

Terry, that remark was uncalled for and cruel.  Hey, she is not here anymore, can you let it go.  I am sure whoever replaces her will get the same treatment from you.  As I have stated before, I am not fond of Peter's or Jim's presentations at Hawthorne, but that does not mean they aren't fine guys.  They both work hard and I try to refrain from getting personal in my critizing of them.  I doubt if you listen to any of the track spokespeople during the races anyhow, so what do you care!

Stick with keeping us up-to-date on slots and track news.  That is your strong point.  Both Gabriels will be missed for not only what they did on their jobs, but also for their caring about the fans.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:38:43 PM »

I am sure whoever replaces her will get the same treatment from you.

Not if they do a decent job. I've never criticized any of Christine's fill-ins.

As I have stated before, I am not fond of Peter's or Jim's presentations at Hawthorne, but that does not mean they aren't fine guys.  They both work hard and I try to refrain from getting personal in my critizing of them.

I'm sure Christine is a fine person too. I don't know her. But I wasn't talking about her as a person I was talking about the performance of her job. Same way you talk about the way Peter does his job with phrases that annoy you or a presentation that annoys you. Nothing personal, mind you.

I doubt if you listen to any of the track spokespeople during the races anyhow, so what do you care!

If only that were true. Unfortunately at Arlington the P.A. volume is so ear-splittingly loud wherever you go that you cannot help but hear the track spokespeople, unless you are standing directly in front of the bandstand in the Park on a Friday afternoon. That's one of the things that makes watching Arlington from the Hawthorne simulcasts so attractive: Sound turned off.

Stick with keeping us up-to-date on slots and track news.  That is your strong point.  Both Gabriels will be missed for not only what they did on their jobs, but also for their caring about the fans.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll choose my subjects.

I'm sure some people will miss the Gabriels for many reasons, but I won't miss Christine in the context of the job she used to do. It might be pleasant to have to hear the paddock show at Arlington again. The good thing about that article was it seemed to throw cold water on the notion that she might be back next summer.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:40:58 PM »

Terry wrote:
Wow! A whole new world of names to mispronounce.

Terry, that remark was accurate and funny.  Can't wait for her to try to rattle off six consonants in a row or figure out where to insert guttural stops.

However, I don't think it will happen since women aren't allowed to speak in public over there.  Hey, that's something we ought to try importing in addition to oil!

-RSR
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 02:50:49 PM »

Terry wrote:
Terry, that remark was accurate and funny.  Can't wait for her to try to rattle off six consonants in a row or figure out where to insert guttural stops.

However, I don't think it will happen since women aren't allowed to speak in public over there.

I'm sure if she does get a job it would be with Emirates Racing's English language production for simulcast export, or something along those lines. The kind of stuff we watch on DWC day. She wouldn't be speaking to the locals but to English-speakers in far off lands. Just the thought of so many Arab sheikh names and Arabic language horse names to get through ... and all the other dang furriners with dang furriner names who go to run in Dubai ... maybe there will be a horse owner who's a Bushman from the Kalahari, to give her a real workout.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:02:15 PM »

P.S.

I have sometimes wondered if Christine was instructed to intentionally mispronounce so many names, especially those Hispanic tongue-twisters like Marquez, the better to identify the track spokesperson with her Suzy Creemcheese white northwest suburban soccer mom SUV audience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: