Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 03:12:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Topeka, KAN 1929  (Read 340 times)
wilderness

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »

from July 11, 1929 Trotter & Pacer.

Beezley and Smith Leading Drivers at Topeka

Each Score Three Victories at Opening of Season in Kansas

By P. W. Moser

TOPEKA, Kan., July 3.
RACING began here today under perfect conditions.  The weather was just a perfect   Kansas day, the track at its best, plenty of horses that were fresh and in condition to race, even though some of them were just a little short on account of so much rain. In the opening race, the 2:20 trot, Cumban a handsome stallion by Arion Guy, was the best and it would have taken a near champion to defeat him today.

Given a perfect drive by Earl Beezley, he won in straight heats. He will bear watching in the future for he has all of the earmarks of a sensational trotter. Mr. Kilo was right at the winner in two beats and as he was sick this spring he will also bear watching, for he is a good colt. Max Hall, owned by the Thatcher Estate of Pueblo, Colo., and driven by E. Argo, went a whale of a race and while he only finished fourth be was right at the leaders in every heat, showing that he is one of the greatest colts that has ever been developed west of the Mississippi River. He is game, well mannered, he never spoiled a score, and but for racing luck he would have finished much closer to the top. He is eligible to THE TROTTER AND PACER Stake.

Nancy Nap, a racy filly by Napoleon Direct, won the 2:20 pace after losing the first heat to Miss Peter 'Holly from the Lyons Stable of Pueblo, Colo. The feature of this race was the driving of Shadeland Silk by Arch McDavid, who showed the boys that he is not only the champion hotel manager of Kansas but that he can "shoo" a hoppled bird just as well as any professional. They are still arguing as to which horse won the last heat.

Clover Blossom won the 2:24 trot but the result might have been different had the starter not overlooked the three-year-old filly, Virginia D., sending her away on a break and many lengths behind the field in the second heat and giving her no chance to win. After she bad finished a close second she then came back and won the third heat, defeating a fast field of aged trotters.

There was nothing able to make Thompson Hedgewood extend himself in the 2:18 pace, although Handy Hal and The Orpheum were racing him all the way. He looks like a high class wiggler and was well driven by Smith.

TOPEKA, Kan., July 4.
THOSE who were fortunate enough to be in Topeka today witnessed four races that they will remember for some time to come. In the first race Chancellor Cigar paced three heats 2:12 or, faster. In the first Billy Wood was looking him in the eye at the finish and in the last two Lelia Gentry had him flat to head her, but he was able to take them all and win a good race.
Nora Scott, wearing half hopples and never lifting her nose, made The Ultimate trot about the best race he has gone in a long time. He looks the best I have ever seen him and it surely will take a good trotter to beat him in his present form.

Peter Keene loafed the first heat and then decided to go out and beat a good field of aged pacers. The way he romped away with the race makes him look even better than the many good things that I wrote about him last season when he was about unbeatable and was the best twoyear-old pacer ever raced in Nebraska. Foxy Chenault and Douglas Silk had about the toughest races of the week in the 2:18 trot and Douglas Silk was the winner. This race had the crowd in a constant uproar.
Earl Beezley and Lee Smith won three races each during the two days' racing, and as the men putting on the meeting were not able to get the track for tomorrow, racing ended today.
Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:48:27 AM »

"Shoo a hoppled bird"
Somehow I just don't see anyone describing Tetrick or Morgan that way.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:26:26 AM »

"Shoo a hoppled bird"
Somehow I just don't see anyone describing Tetrick or Morgan that way.

In my short time in the backstretch, I used to watch my friend pay good money to farrier's and then after they left,
redo the job Wink

Regards Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: