Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 26, 2014, 03:42:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AP Looking Better  (Read 5692 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2006, 09:57:04 PM »

Yes Terry I do remember 10 years ago on the Derby Digest. You were bashing Dick as usual on everything from $3 beers to "spensive" turkey wraps, crowing about AP beiing closed, and Spt and Haw being the saviors of ILL racing.

Now you see, that's a lie, because when AP closed in 1997, I was the biggest defender on the Derby List. People like RunSuckerRun and beatledave and HV if he was there can probably remember the epic 1997 battles with Howard Dennis. It's only when goofballs like you came along in 1998 and 1999 and started whining about Hawthorne still being open, while Arlington was closed, like it was Hawthorne's fault for even existing and the horsemen having an alternative so there wasn't quite so much pressure on the Assembly to cave in to Dick's every whim, that I started defending Hawthorne.

Quit your weasel-mouth reconstructing of the past. If you aren't a lawyer you should be. I'm not going to respond to your BS about what I said and didn't say anymore

Because you're the one making up stories.
Report to moderator   Logged
laurajean

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »

Some people are satisfied with macaroni and diet Pepsi (you), and I prefer a good steak and a nice Merlot. Hey there's nothing wrong with either preference, just don't expect me to order up your macaroni - it will never happen. Life is too short to waste my time on that. I look forward to spending between 70 and 90 wonderful afternoons at AP this summer and there is nothing you or Terry can say that will detract from that joy.  

Pete    
Just a thought. I have eaten both at AP and Hawthorne. Nothing wrong with the food at AP. But if I were interested in a fine dining experience I would go to Hawthorne. Love the buffet, the only complant I have is the food is so good I tend to overeat. (especially the pastries) and I am too stuffed to properly pay attention to the races. 
I really like the salads they have on the grandstand side. Very fresh lots of good healthy ingredients and a nice variety. I really like the Turkey Cobb, but my next favorite has chicken and pecans and a really nice salad dressing.
just a few thoughts from one of the ilkettes of Hawthorne Roll Eyes
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2006, 02:54:08 AM »

OK I have to chime in here a bit since I have always been painted as a total AP guy. The fact is that both tracks serve a purpose and cater to different demographics. Frankly I don't really care which track anyone likes just as long as they are going to one of them and betting. Isn't that the point anyway? Go where you like when you like and BET! There will always be AP supporters vs. Sportsthorne supporters and that I think is a good thing in the long run.

Neither track has a monopoly on doing things the best or the worst either. Both could take lessons from one another on what they do well and could learn from one another as to what they do poorly. I will say that should we ever get slots or added money into the purse structure do not be surprised if Sportsthorne ends up being sold. The further they get removed from the original family ties to the emotional attachment to the track and its history, the greater the chances are that money will speak louder then sentiment. AP being sold to CDI solidified the position at AP will most likely always be a race track. The same would happen if Sportsthorne is sold as well. What would really be nice would be no matter who owns Sportsthorne, it would be great to see them move it to a nicer location. Doing so would only help the entire racing situation here in northern Illinois.
David

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2006, 10:45:03 AM »

Well put by Jim C., each track has it's own place and idea, to further the food analogy - sometimes I'd rather go for a good burger and cold beer at a local place than go eat filet mignon at a fancy schmancy place.

I would point out about relocating Sportsthorne - the most likely relocation would be to an outer suburb - which might be better for racing - but not for the slots which would drive such a move.
big wally

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2006, 01:11:53 PM »

lll
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 07:03:28 AM by big wally » Report to moderator   Logged
TommyCh

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »

Death, taxes, and Hawthorne v. Arlington. It's so nice to have things you can count on.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: