Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 10:27:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favre asks Packers for his release  (Read 2412 times)
warden
Global Moderator

« on: July 11, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »

Favre asks Packers for his release

Where would Favre be the best fit? A team with absolutely no QB? The biggest division rival? Da Bears?

Can you imagine Packer fans rage toward the Packers management if they don't let him return to the Packers?

----

ESPNews reports retired QB Brett Favre has reportedly asked the Green Bay Packers to release him. Favre would rather be released by the team than be traded.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:13:36 PM by warden » Report to moderator   Logged
balmoral buddy

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »

BIG mistake IMHO - he should quit when he is on top - not like Johny Unitas and Joe Namath and others did.
Report to moderator   Logged
NIATROSS

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »

BIG mistake IMHO - he should quit when he is on top - not like Johny Unitas and Joe Namath and others did.

I wish he would have stayed retired but I will supprt him and the PACKERS no matter what happens.

I think you should use ELWAY as an example UNITAS and NAMATH were in worse shape than FAVRE is now.Namath ws sitting on the bench in LA and Unitas was a third stringer for the Colts.
Ironworks

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »

I think a lot of this is posturing.  This is Favre's way of saying "I'm serious about playing next year".  Now, he will force the Packers hand to take him back.  If they decline, they'll trade him to a non-rival (and probably an AFC team).  The Packers hold the cards.  They don't have to release him.  
warden
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:25:26 PM »

he never should have retired. he only lost the title in overtime. he had a great year.

namath and unitas were both badly injured and played way past their prime. no comparison to him. you think he'd do better with the bears than grossman?
warden
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 02:27:12 PM »

Unitas was a third stringer for the Colts.

Unitas ended his career with the Chargers.
NIATROSS

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »

Unitas ended his career with the Chargers.

Thanks,you made my point even better that I did.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
FreeLegged

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »

my predictions for where favre ends up, starting with the most likely.

tampa
baltimore
chicago
minn.
washington
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

I know most of you think I'm crazy but he should have retired years ago.  He should certainly stay retired but if he doesn't the Bears & Vikings are contenders in need.  Are the Bears contenders?

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »

Geez, the Bears could use him, though. Even if he only played a few games, he probably could help stabilize Grossman.

I think Grossman could be a great quarterback, if he just went out and played tough. Maybe Favre could teach him some of that.
balmoral buddy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 08:58:52 PM »

I think you should use ELWAY as an example UNITAS and NAMATH were in worse shape than FAVRE is now.Namath ws sitting on the bench in LA and Unitas was a third stringer for the Colts.

But that was my point - Unitas & Namath played past their primes.
Ellway quit on top - that is what Brett should do.
balmoral buddy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »

Geez, the Bears could use him, though. Even if he only played a few games, he probably could help stabilize Grossman.

I think Grossman could be a great quarterback, if he just went out and played tough. Maybe Favre could teach him some of that.

But - Favre will not go to a team where he would only play a few games AND the Bears won't take him - remember  "Rex is our quarterback"
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 09:35:20 PM »

How about "he'll start the season and see how far he can go"? I mean, he would be the No. 1 quarterback if he played for the Bears, no question. I'm just not sure he would finish a whole season.

I think "Rex is our quarterback" is pretty much over.
warden
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:38:08 PM »

Grossman throws the ball too much to the other team and also fumbles the ball away too many times to ever last as long as Favre has so far, whose interception record will stand forever.
warden
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:43:20 PM »

I know most of you think I'm crazy but he should have retired years ago.  He should certainly stay retired but if he doesn't the Bears & Vikings are contenders in need.  Are the Bears contenders?

He had one of his best years ever last year. The last hlf of the season better than the first half. 40 below zero and they lost the NFC championship by a FG in overtime. He never should have retired. I can see if they had won the Super Bowl and he wanted to go out like Elway. But the Packers have a good young team and he says they pressured him to retire. If I was either Chicago or Minnesota or maybe Washington I'd want him bad on my team.
FreeLegged

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 10:00:26 PM »

i think he said(but i could be wrong)  Huh they pressured him to make a decision, not necessarily pressured him to retire. i cant blame the team for wanting to figure out what was going on with the most important position on a football team.

i still want to learn how this will effect the packers' salary cap. this cant be pretty.

i'd kind of like to see favre go to a team like the redskins. as bad as favre has been at texas stadium over the years, that would guarantee America's team at least one win each year!

God Bless America's team.
 flag
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »

He had one of his best years ever last year. The last hlf of the season better than the first half. 40 below zero and they lost the NFC championship by a FG in overtime. He never should have retired. I can see if they had won the Super Bowl and he wanted to go out like Elway. But the Packers have a good young team and he says they pressured him to retire. If I was either Chicago or Minnesota or maybe Washington I'd want him bad on my team.

Warden, the thing is, if you watched many of those games he threw short passes that turned into long gains.  In fact the Packers led the league in yards-after-catch.  I think the Pack has a great young team who should have been in the Super Bowl had it not been for Favre.  and they probably would have beaten the Cowboys had Favre not thrown it away before getting hurt.  Think of the fan revolt the Packers face from Favre's popularity & still they are willing to risk that to replace him - internally, they must agree that he is a detriment.  And I don't think they would mind at all if he went to Minnesota - the Packer CB's will have a 1/2 dozen interceptions in 2 games against him.

The problem the Packers face is keeping Rodgers healthy, considering he seems to get injured every time he plays, even though he has not played often.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
FreeLegged

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »

packers are now saying favre can come back, but it will be as the back up QB.
warden
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »

and the first time team doesnt move with rodgers packer fans will be hollaring for his head. actually they already are.
FreeLegged

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 02:33:08 PM »

i do not think favre's agent is offering up smart advice. somewhere, i read that they insisted that the packers give favre his release, based on his past and what he has meant to the franchise.

if that was really the approach they took, then it is crazy. the packers will not and should not just release this guy and then have no control over where he goes. what he did in the past should not matter in this type of situation. for all he did in the past, he was also paid very well for doing it.

packers are in the drivers seat.

favre can stay retired
favre can come back and be a back up
packers can work out a trade to any team yes even houston, arizona, oakland, wherever.
favre can go to that team and play or he can choose not to report and remain retired.

outright releasing him or bringing him back as a starter are 2 things that wont happen, and that must really piss some people off. he is under contract and cant do anything about it.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

Packers won't release Favre from his contract

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3484473
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »

i do not think favre's agent is offering up smart advice. somewhere, i read that they insisted that the packers give favre his release, based on his past and what he has meant to the franchise.

if that was really the approach they took, then it is crazy. the packers will not and should not just release this guy and then have no control over where he goes. what he did in the past should not matter in this type of situation. for all he did in the past, he was also paid very well for doing it.

packers are in the drivers seat.

They are not in the driver's seat with the fans though.  Favre has now hung the Packers out to dry by airing his dirty laundry on TV. 

Typical athlete - just tells everyone what he means to the Packers - like the Pack did nothing in the way of standing behind him while he was chucking up all those INT's.  Then he retires, they draft 2 QBs, not to mention Rodgers & they're supposed to what - take their excellent young team & hand it right back to the guy who lost the NFC Championship game for them. 

What a freakin' redneck!

NIATROSS

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »

They are not in the driver's seat with the fans though.  Favre has now hung the Packers out to dry by airing his dirty laundry on TV. 

Typical athlete - just tells everyone what he means to the Packers - like the Pack did nothing in the way of standing behind him while he was chucking up all those INT's.  Then he retires, they draft 2 QBs, not to mention Rodgers & they're supposed to what - take their excellent young team & hand it right back to the guy who lost the NFC Championship game for them. 

What a freakin' redneck!

There are always 3 sides to every story and only GOD knows the truth.The PACKERS stood by by him by putting him in the position of throwing all those INT'S in the bad yrs with NO TALENT around him.Yes you give it right back to the guy who got you to the NFC Championship If you think he is the reason they lost to the GIANTS try rewatching the game.The better team won and it was validated by their SUPER BOWL WIN.

Nice comment calling him a freaking redneck.Were you calling Michael Jordan Magic Johnson or Ali a freaking nigger during all their comebacks ?

The Packers can just as easily trade him or release him and move on.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »

There are always 3 sides to every story and only GOD knows the truth.The PACKERS stood by by him by putting him in the position of throwing all those INT'S in the bad yrs with NO TALENT around him.Yes you give it right back to the guy who got you to the NFC Championship If you think he is the reason they lost to the GIANTS try rewatching the game.The better team won and it was validated by their SUPER BOWL WIN.

Nice comment calling him a freaking redneck.Were you calling Michael Jordan Magic Johnson or Ali a freaking nigger during all their comebacks ?

The Packers can just as easily trade him or release him and move on.

I've watched that game several times but you didn't need to re-watch it to know that he did absolutely zero the entire 2nd 1/2 + OT other than help the Giants.  He looked like a frightened, uncomfortable, cold child.  And the Packers know it too, which is why they're risking so much in not welcoming him back.

He is a redneck & I haven't used the "n" word since 3 of them mugged my Dad 30 years ago.  Don't bother comparing him to Jordan, Ali...  He's top 10 in QB's but that's where it ends.  You probably disagree with that but that's JMO.

I just thought it was pretty much gutless to go on with Greta on Fox instead of an ESPN or NFL Network who would have thrown some tougher questions at Brett, like "what did you expect them to do - you retired, then call the coach at the end of mini-camp, when the whole place has cleared out & say I'm coming back?"  John Clayton said pretty much the same thing so I know there are people in the know who agree with me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: