Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 02:48:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Arlington?  (Read 7800 times)
pamwaggy

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »

A friend of mine asked me if I had ever been to Arlington.  When I told him no, he started waxing HUGE about how beautiful it is.  He said it's so clean you wouldn't even see a cigarette butt on the ground.

The way he spoke of it, I am so sorry I've never been there.  You that can be there are so lucky!
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »

A friend of mine asked me if I had ever been to Arlington.  When I told him no, he started waxing HUGE about how beautiful it is.  He said it's so clean you wouldn't even see a cigarette butt on the ground.

The way he spoke of it, I am so sorry I've never been there.  You that can be there are so lucky!

It is pretty nice all right. Very clean, and a nice looking facility. I still prefer Saratoga, Santa Anita, and even Del Mar to it, however, even if they're not as spiffy clean. Arlington always strikes me as sterile and characterless. Those other tracks have history, character, charm, AND beauty. The paddocks at the other tracks blow AP's away, too.
NIATROSS

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

The facility is top notch and the turf course is one of the best in NORTH AMERICA.Thanks to all the bettors who over the years have paid surcharge after surcharge and higher prices for everything yet DICKIE D. gets the credit.Thanks to him and the other track owners in IL the racing product for both breeds is not even top 15  in the country in the 3rd biggest market in the US.The price of admission is about the highest and for what ? Even museums charge less to get in and they have a better product to put out for display.

I agree with CLOCKERTERRY give me SANTA ANITA and even KEENELAND.That way I will see beautiful tracks and REAL QUALITY RACING !
glahn

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »

NIATROSS: "even keeneland?" That place is gorgeous.

Terry: Nice analysis; I think the same thing.

pamwaggy: There's more to beauty than cleanliness. History, character, architecture, design, color, foliage/gardening, etc. Saratoga has one of the most intimate paddock areas I've seen, and there's just something about the atmosphere, the types and quantities of trees, the open-air design, etc., that makes it my favorite place on earth. Plus the women are prettier.

Here's some pics of AP:

paddock: http://i.pbase.com/u26/papa85/upload/43616068.ARB_6250copy.jpg
backside of the grandstand: http://i.pbase.com/u26/papa85/upload/43616067.ARB_6249copy.jpg
backside of the paddock and clubhouse (I know there's no real difference any longer, but I continue to refer to the east side of the track as the grandstand and the west side the clubhouse): http://i.pbase.com/u26/papa85/upload/43614877.ARB_6132copy.jpg

Saratoga:
paddock: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1257/1315426607_5a5a679668.jpg?v=0
carousel: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1097/1315426887_f75652639a.jpg?v=0
infield: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/1315425643_ef15ae9ac0.jpg?v=0
more infield: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2182/1538520845_0213634636.jpg?v=0
track-side of the grandstand: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/1539384508_214231c3d2.jpg?v=0
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 09:30:38 AM »

Can't get into pictures of AP

Beautiful pictures of Saratoga. beer

Have to go to NY to see the track.

Kenneth J. Chadwick 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:44:28 AM by Kenneth J. Chadwick » Report to moderator   Logged

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
Horse Voice

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »

Arlington is certainly beautiful, but it has that "sofa covered in plastic" feel to it -- are we supposed to actually go in there?

I love Keeneland for it's beauty and bucolic setting and history, but Saratoga simply reels me in. It's Horseplayer Heaven. The whole place, from trackside, to paddock, to the Oklahoma training track and parking area on the backside across Union Ave., just says

>>>>"You're here. Welcome! It's all about the horses here. You're in the right place"<<<<

Live racing is fantastic wherever you can find it -- even at super-scrubbed, pristine Arlington -- but Saratoga is the empirical Manna for this horseplayer's soul, if you'll excuse the mixed metaphors.

Go there. Every horseplayer must go there, at least once in their lives. You can thank me later.
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:52:36 AM »

Looks like meet open July 23 (Wednesday) until September 1 (Labor Day).

Any recommendations on where to stay and eat when I am there.

Kenneth J. Chadwick

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »

Ken, I don't think you can go wrong on eating. Apparently, you have to go to Ciro's, because that's horseplayer heaven.

As far as accommodations, if you don't have them now, you probably aren't going to get them. Try next year.

/A former co-worker owns a house in Saratoga. He takes a 4 week vacation during the meet to Florida. He lives it up in Florida and the money he makes by renting his Saratoga house pays for the vacation, 1st class all the way. Plus money left over.
mel4600

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »

As far as sheer beauty, I have not seen the equal to Arlington. Quality of racing is another story. I believe your friend was correct in saying it is the most beautiful track in the country.
mj

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »

Pam,

When we moved here 4 years ago, we passed by Arlington and were in awe of the grounds.   My husband and I said this would not be a place to take children.   The grounds were immaculate.    Then we found out about each Sunday being Pepsi Family Days.  
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »

I have to agree with Mel on this one. It's always a pleasure to walk into Arlington. When they re-opened and I went out there for the first time in 2 years (3  years), it was almost a rapturous experience.

There is one beef. They should have designed it to have a way to get from the paddock to the front side without having to fight through all those crowds.
Horse Voice

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 10:12:39 AM »

Any recommendations on where to stay and eat when I am there.

Kenneth J. Chadwick

I'm not a big fan of paying "tourist" prices for accomodations, so both times I went I stayed in Albany, only 30 minutes south on I-87. Best Western the first time, Extended Stay America the second. Both were less than $80 per night.

Someone else will have to do restaurant recommendations.
Horse Voice

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »

I have to agree with Mel on this one.

Report back when you guys get to Saratoga.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 10:25:35 AM »

Report back when you guys get to Saratoga.

I haven't actually been there myself, but I worked at a company that had a plant outside of Saratoga and a lot of our people from Chicago went there on business and visited the track. These people were not horseplayers. Unanimously, they all came back and said "What's the big deal? That place is a dump."

I think horseplayers see the place through bay and dappled gray colored glasses.
Horse Voice

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:34:04 AM »

I haven't actually been there myself, but I worked at a company that had a plant outside of Saratoga and a lot of our people from Chicago went there on business and visited the track. These people were not horseplayers. Unanimously, they all came back and said "What's the big deal? That place is a dump."

I think horseplayers see the place through bay and dappled gray colored glasses.

Nothing better than a dappled gray, is there?

I would never expect non-horseplayers to love Saratoga.
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 10:37:29 AM »

Saratoga has great grounds, tradition and very good racing. Located in beautiful country. It's a nice place to visit once or twice. However it's very crowded and prices for anything in the surrounding area go up at least 500% during the meet. The majority of people who attend the races are tourists and not necesarily racing fans. It kind of reminds me of the Wisconsin Dells. Moon, you think there are a lot of strollers at AP on Sunday, you should go to SAR.
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »

Arlington, in my opinion, is the most opulent race course in North America. I think every race track has something different to offer. I have never been to one that I did not like or appreciate for some reason. My favorites are Churchill before the remodel, Monmouth, Keeneland, Arlington, and little tracks Hoosier and Fairmount.
NIATROSS

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »

I agree the place is gorgeous and is my favorite track to visit.I do hate the polytrack and feel it has taken away some of the history and beauty.The traffic trying to get out on a big day is among the worst anywhere but I STILL LOVE KEENELAND !
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »

Keeneland has a nice paddock, and a nice exterior, including parking lot. Inside, it is low, dark, and cramped. The seating area is too small, and nothing special. There are far too many drunk rednecks staggering the apron and stealing your seat and DRF any time you walk more than 4 feet away. They distract attention from the racing by constantly showing the latest U Ky game on their big screen. It's just not one of my favorites.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »

Ken, I don't think you can go wrong on eating. Apparently, you have to go to Ciro's, because that's horseplayer heaven.

As far as accommodations, if you don't have them now, you probably aren't going to get them. Try next year.

That's not true, you don't HAVE to stay in Saratoga Springs. You can get a place anywhere south along I-87 or U.S. 9, or even stay down by Albany - it's only about a 45 minute drive. There's are lots of little ma and pa motels and all the chains. Much cheaper staying a little out of town, too.

We ought to make a FAQ on Saratoga eateries. I think we go through this every year, and I can never remember any!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »

We don't want Kenneth J drunk out of his mind  driving down the highway in his Hummer after the races, though. Sheesh.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »

We don't want Kenneth J drunk out of his mind  driving down the highway in his Hummer after the races, though. Sheesh.

Who cares it's New York.
Horse Voice

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »

Kenneth J drunk can't be any worse than the self-important New Yorkers that fill the Thruway.

I forgot to mention, just drive I-87 with your middle finger raised all the time. Easier on the joints and saves times.
fnlfurlong

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 11:38:25 AM »

The facility is top notch and the turf course is one of the best in NORTH AMERICA.Thanks to all the bettors who over the years have paid surcharge after surcharge and higher prices for everything yet DICKIE D. gets the credit.Thanks to him and the other track owners in IL the racing product for both breeds is not even top 15  in the country in the 3rd biggest market in the US.The price of admission is about the highest and for what ? Even museums charge less to get in and they have a better product to put out for display.

I agree with CLOCKERTERRY give me SANTA ANITA and even KEENELAND.That way I will see beautiful tracks and REAL QUALITY RACING !

Prices of admission for Chicago Museums:

Shedd Acquarium - $24.99 for adults, $17.99 for Kids
Adler Plantearium - $10.00 for adults, $6.00 for kids
Field Museum - $22.00 for adults, $12.00 for kids
Peggy Notebeart Nature Museum - $9.00 for adults, $6 for kids
Chicago Childrens Museum - $9 per person
Musuem of Science and Industry - $13 for adults, $9.00 for kids
Art Insititute of Chicago - $12.00 for adults, $9.00 for kids.

Price of admission for Arlington Park
$7 for adults ($6 if purchased online), free for kids (under 17).

Sorry, I know it is higher than normal for racetrack, but as an entertainment option in Chicago, Arlington is still a great deal.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »

We all have our favorite tracks.  It is important to actually go to them once in a while to recharge your horse racing batteries.  You can always go to an OTB or bet from home, not the same thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: