Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 05:53:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should we drill in Alaska?  (Voting closed: June 18, 2008, 07:01:07 AM)
NO Never Save the wildlife - 2 (6.9%)
Yes Be Careful - 9 (31%)
Start Today - 12 (41.4%)
I am tired of getting taken at the pump DRILL! - 6 (20.7%)
No I like sending my cash elsewhere - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your thought's on drilling in Alaska?  (Read 26384 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »

This was interesting. Tonight I was watching the news and on comes a commercial starring T. Boone Pickens, legendary oilman and conservative. He says America has an energy crisis and "we can't drill our way out of this one". His alternative? Wind energy, and natural gas. Here's one story; there are plenty more if you go to Google news.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9985905-54.html?hhTest
Report to moderator   Logged
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »

Yep. I saw that earlier, too. It's about time to move your money over to BP Capital.

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »

This was interesting. Tonight I was watching the news and on comes a commercial starring T. Boone Pickens, legendary oilman and conservative. He says America has an energy crisis and "we can't drill our way out of this one". His alternative? Wind energy, and natural gas. Here's one story; there are plenty more if you go to Google news.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9985905-54.html?hhTest

I saw the commercials too.  He's a billionaire (from oil) so I'm taking him pretty seriously.  He must have some huge money invested in Natural Gas - I believe that's his game now.  Of course, he did go short oil at around $95 so don't think he doesn't make mistakes too.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2008, 08:06:04 PM »

What I found most interesting was the statement "we can't drill our way out of this one", coupled with the calls for massive investment in wind energy. That's exactly what the Clintons were saying on the campaign trail.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »

We can't drill our way out of this one doesn't meant that we can't alleviate some of the problems we are suffering by using the oil that we have. long term, oil is going to dry up.  Short term, we must drill for our daily needs. A little common sense please.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
mel4600

« Reply #255 on: July 09, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »

We can't drill our way out of this one doesn't meant that we can't alleviate some of the problems we are suffering by using the oil that we have. long term, oil is going to dry up.  Short term, we must drill for our daily needs. A little common sense please.

Samstar, you are dead on.

He is looking to make more money on alternate energy and I hope he succeeds. The problem he does not address is "what do we do with the 240+ million gasoline using vehicles on the road right now and what do we do to drive down the cost of gasoline right now.

Newt Gingrich has it right, do everything everywhere and the market will drive progress. He also said the democrats have repeatedly refused to give long tern tax cuts to the solar energy industry like wind power has. We already know about Ted Kennedy refusing to allow wind power fields near his property.

The most important point Gingrich made which I feel will be most effective in the short tern would be for the U.S. to sell our entire national oil reserve on the open market and we will make a ton of money while driving the price of oil down by $50-$60 per barrel. We can then purchase most of it back for a lower price. The average cost of our reserve oil is below the $60 range and there is enough oil in our reserve to cause a glut.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »

Another fine post.  And another that I agree with.  Are we betting the same horses too?

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: July 09, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »

Samstar, you are dead on.

He is looking to make more money on alternate energy and I hope he succeeds. The problem he does not address is "what do we do with the 240+ million gasoline using vehicles on the road right now and what do we do to drive down the cost of gasoline right now.

Newt Gingrich has it right, do everything everywhere and the market will drive progress. He also said the democrats have repeatedly refused to give long tern tax cuts to the solar energy industry like wind power has. We already know about Ted Kennedy refusing to allow wind power fields near his property.

The most important point Gingrich made which I feel will be most effective in the short tern would be for the U.S. to sell our entire national oil reserve on the open market and we will make a ton of money while driving the price of oil down by $50-$60 per barrel. We can then purchase most of it back for a lower price. The average cost of our reserve oil is below the $60 range and there is enough oil in our reserve to cause a glut.

When is the last time the Democrats had control of Congress? For 12 years the Republicans were in Charge of the House and the Senate and they did nothing. Newt Gingrich was the leader for 4 years. He did nothing. Bush has vetoed every single bill that would set fuel economy standards.

Oops, guess what? The Dems actually passed a bill - Bush threatened a veto, but after weakening it, he signed it!

CAFE STANDARDS RISE TO 35 MPG

At the close of 2007, Congress approved and President Bush signed a comprehensive energy bill that includes the first increase in auto mileage standards in more than 30 years. The increase in CAFE standards was included as part of a broad energy bill compromise. In addition to the auto mileage standards the bill addresses biofuels, conservation measures, and building efficiency.

The bipartisan approval came only after Senate Democrats dropped House-approved tax provisions that would have increased incentives for energy efficiency by repealing tax breaks for oil and gas companies. The Senate also gave ground on a requirement that utilities derive 15 percent of their power from renewable sources. These provisions faced Republican filibusters and a White House veto threat.

Key provisions include:

* An increase in corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards for cars and SUVs to an average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
    * A requirement to increase use of ethanol and other renewable fuels to 36 billion gallons of by 2022, a roughly five-fold expansion of the current 2012 mandate. Twenty-one million of these gallons would eventually have to come from "advanced" biofuels, largely cellulosic ethanol, that have 50-60 percent lower greenhouse gas emissions.
    * Establishment of a new energy block grant program for local governments' use in implementing energy efficiency initiatives.
    * A variety of green building incentives and programs.
    * Changes to the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality program that allow a 100 percent federal contribution to projects.
    * A "sense of Congress" resolution supporting Complete Streets standards for road design.

Bush has consistently refused to open up the Strategic Oil Reserve, as did Clinton before him. It's called a STRATEGIC OIL RESERVE for a reason.
mel4600

« Reply #258 on: July 09, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

Bush has consistently refused to open up the Strategic Oil Reserve, as did Clinton before him. It's called a STRATEGIC OIL RESERVE for a reason.

I was not sure where you were going with all that cut and paste info, however, I will respond to the only portion (above partial quote) that pertains to my comment.

As of June 11, 2008, the current inventory was 704.9 million barrels and has a capacity of 727 million barrels. In May 2008 both houses nearly voted unanimously to suspend our purchase of 70,000 barrels per day starting July 2008 and running through the end of 2008. Lets see if this has any effect at all. Its good to see everyone on the same page for once.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: July 09, 2008, 04:25:14 PM »

Suspending purchases is a lot different than selling oil from the Strategic Reserve, you NeoCon Screwup.
mel4600

« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2008, 05:00:20 PM »

Suspending purchases is a lot different than selling oil from the Strategic Reserve, you NeoCon Screwup.

Moon,

You have the classic "loon syndrome", which is total failure of reading comprehension. When I gave you Gingrich's to dump, it was one person's opinion who I agreed with.

My second post was meant to be to answer your "Strategic Oil reserve" comment. If it is so "Strategic" then why are they now suspending the 70,000 barrel a day purchase?
bettor2belucky

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »

3 ways to lower gas prices....               http://youtube.com/watch?v=UOpcPfAarjY

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,is a government big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the President I can afford better." Barack Hussein Obama
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: July 09, 2008, 06:11:04 PM »

Moon,

You have the classic "loon syndrome", which is total failure of reading comprehension. When I gave you Gingrich's to dump, it was one person's opinion who I agreed with.

My second post was meant to be to answer your "Strategic Oil reserve" comment. If it is so "Strategic" then why are they now suspending the 70,000 barrel a day purchase?

Because it's full. Duh. But, just who are you criticizing here, since both Clinton and Bush have refused to touch the Strategic Reserve, you NeoCon Screwup. Can't you get anything straight? What part of that don't you understand, Screwup?
mel4600

« Reply #263 on: July 09, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »

Because it's full. Duh. But, just who are you criticizing here, since both Clinton and Bush have refused to touch the Strategic Reserve, you NeoCon Screwup. Can't you get anything straight? What part of that don't you understand, Screwup?

Boy you "loons" are "***" folk. Was not criticizing. You are in drastic need of reading comprehension, you *** loon you.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: July 09, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »

You are such a Screwup, you can't even get your insults right.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »

It's not full. It has about 700 million barrels. The Bush admin. set a much higher goal for it than it used to be, 1.5 billion barrels, and Congress had agreed to 1 billion. They were filling toward that, but Congress halted it, in an effort to reduce some price pressure.

There's quite an enlightening story in the latest Foreign Affairs. It advocates the US working with other countries to use their reserves in concert to manage world price crises like the latest, by selling when supplies are tight, and refilling when prices are low. Not that anyone will, because everyone thinks like U.S. leaders of both parties always have, that it's just for real emergencies.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »

The strategic Oil reserve is called a strategic reserve for a reason.  It has been Filled to help in a national emergency when our supplies are jeapordized by a terrorist or other incident that might disrupt world oil.  If we use it now, we won't have it when we need it if we need it. I think it takes some real character for Bush to leave the reserve where it is even though he might appear to be
a hero if he released it.  A real leader makes tough decisions based on what he think is right  not what he thinks will get him brownie points.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:05 PM »

Hey, maybe we can get the GOP Screwups to give another tax break to people who buy giant Hummers. That worked out well.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »

The strategic Oil reserve is called a strategic reserve for a reason.  It has been Filled to help in a national emergency when our supplies are jeapordized by a terrorist or other incident that might disrupt world oil.  If we use it now, we won't have it when we need it if we need it. I think it takes some real character for Bush to leave the reserve where it is even though he might appear to be
a hero if he released it.  A real leader makes tough decisions based on what he think is right  not what he thinks will get him brownie points.

You must think Clinton is a real leader, too, then. Because he did the same thing.
mel4600

« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2008, 10:38:22 PM »

You must think Clinton is a real leader, too, then. Because he did the same thing.

Alan Colmes on Fox news must be your clone. You memorize talking points from those liberal loon website where you idiots congregate and repeat all that rubbish like broken records with the same line of liberal loon idiot BS. For the record, Clinton never faced an oil crisis like this.

Jeepers

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: July 10, 2008, 12:19:34 AM »

When is the last time the Democrats had control of Congress? For 12 years the Republicans were in Charge of the House and the Senate and they did nothing. Newt Gingrich was the leader for 4 years. He did nothing. Bush has vetoed every single bill that would set fuel economy standards.

Oops, guess what? The Dems actually passed a bill - Bush threatened a veto, but after weakening it, he signed it!

CAFE STANDARDS RISE TO 35 MPG

At the close of 2007, Congress approved and President Bush signed a comprehensive energy bill that includes the first increase in auto mileage standards in more than 30 years. The increase in CAFE standards was included as part of a broad energy bill compromise. In addition to the auto mileage standards the bill addresses biofuels, conservation measures, and building efficiency.

The bipartisan approval came only after Senate Democrats dropped House-approved tax provisions that would have increased incentives for energy efficiency by repealing tax breaks for oil and gas companies. The Senate also gave ground on a requirement that utilities derive 15 percent of their power from renewable sources. These provisions faced Republican filibusters and a White House veto threat.

Key provisions include:

* An increase in corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards for cars and SUVs to an average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
    * A requirement to increase use of ethanol and other renewable fuels to 36 billion gallons of by 2022, a roughly five-fold expansion of the current 2012 mandate. Twenty-one million of these gallons would eventually have to come from "advanced" biofuels, largely cellulosic ethanol, that have 50-60 percent lower greenhouse gas emissions.
    * Establishment of a new energy block grant program for local governments' use in implementing energy efficiency initiatives.
    * A variety of green building incentives and programs.
    * Changes to the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality program that allow a 100 percent federal contribution to projects.
    * A "sense of Congress" resolution supporting Complete Streets standards for road design.

I have long wondered what the oil and gas tax breaks are about in the first place. How much are they? How long have they been around? Initiated under which administration and Congress? SUPPORTED by which subsequent administrations and Congresses?

I guess these breaks are/were meant to spur production. Or maybe they're a long-ago gift to insulate companies from pressures of the world market?

The Democrats use the tax breaks as scapegoats to mollify a frustrated public, without fully explaining what it is we should rescind, and why. As a Democrat, I find this frustrating. I hate for EITHER party to resort to slogans for a slobbering public.

Republicans resist efforts to rescind the breaks, without seeming to explain why. I could do my own research, and will, but in the general media, you have to search long and hard for true analysis and history.

As for CAFE standards, it's insane they've been left untouched for so long. Could that not have been done by executive order? Not sure.

Buffaloboy

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: July 10, 2008, 04:07:46 AM »

The reason for the drop in oil prices the last two days ... Barack Obama had not been using his MD80 jet aircraft.

Has anybody actually read about that gas-sucking bad boy? Makes SUV's look likle hybrids.

Yikes!

When will Barn To Wire finally do the right thing and ban Clockerterry & Edwarren for their continued lies, anti-American & anti-semetic statements and their general disrutpive stupidity? 

“The answer to a government that’s too big is to stop feeding its growth.” - President Ronald W. Reagan
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: July 10, 2008, 07:34:40 AM »

The reason for the drop in oil prices the last two days ... Barack Obama had not been using his MD80 jet aircraft.

Has anybody actually read about that gas-sucking bad boy? Makes SUV's look likle hybrids.

Yikes!

Yes, that's the reason. It's not the 50 million Hummers the NeoCon Screwups bought. It's ONE PLANE.  And ONLY the plane that Obama flies.

McCain, of course, has a magical plane, that flies him from place to place using only fairy dust for fuel.

Tongue
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: July 10, 2008, 07:42:54 AM »

Alan Colmes on Fox news must be your clone. You memorize talking points from those liberal loon website where you idiots congregate and repeat all that rubbish like broken records with the same line of liberal loon idiot BS. For the record, Clinton never faced an oil crisis like this.

And yet, you have no comeback. It should be easy for you to rebut the points made, but all you do is say "Liberal Loon! Liberal Looonnnn!"

Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: July 10, 2008, 08:22:31 AM »

Yes, that's the reason. It's not the 50 million Hummers the NeoCon Screwups bought. Tongue

Moon, did Detroit sell, how many Hummers, 50 million?

Moon, you and Jesse drinking too much kool aid lately?

No creditability Moon. 

Kenneth J. Chadwick

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: