Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 19, 2014, 06:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drivers and Cell Phones  (Read 3513 times)
racefixer101

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »

What do you guys think of these drivers getting on their cell phones the moment they unhook their bikes?? I'm not saying anything is fishy but it sure doesn't look good and  it sure does make you wonder who they have to call every fifteen minutes!!!!!
Report to moderator   Logged
off stride

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »

i am from the day that they used to lock the public pay phones before the races started and didnt unlock them to the last race was off... hmmm wonder why they did that?
       but ..from the other angle... i was watching a simulcast race with a trainer who had a horse 3 hours away and noticed during the post parade a horse was missing a piece of equipment..he called the asst. trainer and rectifies the situation
Dan Nance

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:15:55 PM »

What do you guys think of these drivers getting on their cell phones the moment they unhook their bikes?? I'm not saying anything is fishy but it sure doesn't look good and  it sure does make you wonder who they have to call every fifteen minutes!!!!!

I think it's just fine. They too need to call home and make sure everything is ok and the kids are getting in bed. Most of them are calling home to say goodnight to their kids while they are risking their lives driving crippled horses so people can have something to bet on.

A phone call to their family every 15 minutes to tell them they love them is not a bad idea when one doesn't know if they may go down at any time. Thank God for cell phones. 
mackki44

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »

THAT IS A CROOK OF S*** AND U KNOW IT. THESE DRIVERS ARE FILTHY GAMBLERS AND ARE CALLING THERE BOOKIES OR FRIENDS TO PHONE IN BETS TO THE OFFSHORE JOINTS SO THE BETS DONT HIT THE WINDOWS.  YOU SHOULD NO ALL ABOUT THIS DAN ***. JUST SIT NEXT TO YOUR GOOD BUDDY JOE DAKURIS WHERE EVERY 15 MINUTES HIS PHONE RINGS AND ITS INFORMATION FROM THE PADDOCK USUALLY IN THE FORM OF HOLLAND, MORGAN OR WIDGER. ALL OF THESE CROOKS SHOULD BE IN HANDCUFFS SO STOP WITH THE CALLING HOME BS. U KNOW ALL OF THESE GUYS ARE CALLING IN BETS AND DAKURIS IS DOING IT FOR THEM!!! mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker
TC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:48:15 PM »

Call the IRB, which is already on your speed dial, and tell them what you know.  The call should last 3 seconds.   trotter  TC
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:03:14 PM by TC » Report to moderator   Logged
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:35:19 PM »

i am from the day that they used to lock the public pay phones before the races started and didnt unlock them to the last race was off... hmmm wonder why they did that?
       but ..from the other angle... i was watching a simulcast race with a trainer who had a horse 3 hours away and noticed during the post parade a horse was missing a piece of equipment..he called the asst. trainer and rectifies the situation

I think it should be kept in the paddock.  Definitely no way that this should occur in the plain view of the betting public, just for the potential "image problems" that could result.

No reason it can't wait until the barn.

Heck - in years back, I understand that you could garner a fine for looking at the toteboard either during scoring or in the stretch.  This may be excessive, but it's things like this that are necessary to clean up the public image.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
TC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 08:38:08 PM »

Heck - in years back, ...

Best,
EW
...when you were a preschooler ?  or in swaddling clothes ?  You must remember your 1st b.m. and 1st tooth coming in  Wink   trotter  TC
Old Horse

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 08:41:58 PM »

There was also no talking between drivers on the track before a race. He's right T.C. and you are old enough to remember it too!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 08:54:39 PM »

i don't think i have ever seen a driver talk on their cell phone during the races, at least not while they had there colors on.
racefixer101

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 09:14:17 PM »

All you have to do is go stand by the draw gate when the horse's pull up and just stand back and watch ive seem them do this for just about every race sometimes they were on the phone even before they got their bike unhooked I couldn't get close enough to listen to what was being said.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 09:17:32 PM »

All you have to do is go stand by the draw gate when the horse's pull up and just stand back and watch ive seem them do this for just about every race sometimes they were on the phone even before they got their bike unhooked I couldn't get close enough to listen to what was being said.
...next time get closer so you can become a 1st class eavesdropper and snitch and ratfink.  Maybe you'll actually learn something about the sport.  Are you one of those TV addicts who stands down there hoping to be on the pan camera ?  If so, well done you're famous.   trotter  TC
off stride

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 09:23:04 PM »

....  Are you one of those TV addicts who stands down there hoping to be on the pan camera ?  .   trotter  TC

if you do this and read btw...tomorrow for the 1st race give  us the peace sign ..that way we can see you fellow btw folks...
emp

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »

What about the OUTRIDERS?HuhHuh??

off stride

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 09:31:11 PM »

timely and good photo emp...
PONYBOY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 10:51:37 PM »

one night i was in the paddock.and needed to make acall.
my trailer had a flat! i noticed a guy walking around in circles.
he appeard to be very deep in thought .daddy he rumbled on and on!!
seemed like an hour. anyway iasked if i could use his phone.he hesatated.
so i offerd him 10 bucks. he gave me the phone AND IT SAID NO SERVICE!!
THIS GUY WALKED AROUND PRETENDING TO TALK!!!!
I THINK HIS NAME IS GALE SMITH!!!!!!!!!
poor guy .so if you see him. don't worry he's got an imagianery FRIEND.
WHAT DO I DO DADDY?Huh rat rat rat
race track phil

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 11:36:54 PM »

I could make a fortune if I could call the driver during a race ! one ring pull ! 2 rings sit !  I use to joke with homer and tell him let me put transmitter in your helmet and I 'll tell you how to drive during the race . I always figured a driver needs an agent to guide him just like the t- breds have an agent to get them mounts . imagine how cool it would be to be calling the shots in a race sitting in the grandstand . I guess you could never use the excuse bad drive anymore .                 RTP
swoodall

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 02:41:19 AM »

David Hawk thinks you guys are painting with a very broad brush.  He thinks cell phones should be allowed during the race in case they have a flat tire or bike trouble.  It's a long walk back to the paddock on those cold winter nights.  Besides,  How else is he going to be able to check his off shore account balance?  So he knows how much he can bet against himself in the next race!
Dan Nance

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 04:01:16 AM »

THAT IS A CROOK OF S*** AND U KNOW IT. THESE DRIVERS ARE FILTHY GAMBLERS AND ARE CALLING THERE BOOKIES OR FRIENDS TO PHONE IN BETS TO THE OFFSHORE JOINTS SO THE BETS DONT HIT THE WINDOWS.  YOU SHOULD NO ALL ABOUT THIS DAN ***. JUST SIT NEXT TO YOUR GOOD BUDDY JOE DAKURIS WHERE EVERY 15 MINUTES HIS PHONE RINGS AND ITS INFORMATION FROM THE PADDOCK USUALLY IN THE FORM OF HOLLAND, MORGAN OR WIDGER. ALL OF THESE CROOKS SHOULD BE IN HANDCUFFS SO STOP WITH THE CALLING HOME BS. U KNOW ALL OF THESE GUYS ARE CALLING IN BETS AND DAKURIS IS DOING IT FOR THEM!!! mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker mucker

If the drivers are calling someone about who to bet it's most likely the stewards up in their booth. Tetrick called them and told them he was going to crash Oosting Sunday night with "Gro " so not to use him in their pick 6 bets.

Do you think President Bush could order a wire tap on the stewards cell phone to see who they are betting on? 
Harry Dapear

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 04:11:46 AM »

My friend Elroy swears that theres a seedy looking guy in the starting car thats gives instuctions to the drivers when they're in the back stretch.

God forgives Moochers, I don't.
VicD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 06:33:25 AM »

It's only a problem if you see a driver using the phone during the race...
TC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 08:08:36 AM »

The USTA is mandating that all new racing bikes be equipped with ONstar and have hands-free operation.  The president of the USTA, a.k.a. Farmer Phil, is a big proponent of this measure.   trotter  TC
emp

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 08:29:01 AM »

off stride

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 09:07:34 AM »

this bookie keeps his finger on the pulse of racing
Honest1

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 10:01:10 AM »

I am shocked Gale Smiths phone was even activated as he cant seem to find the barn to feed his horses let alone clean the stalls! Keep sending those training bills!!
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »

In response to this post, and another post where someone laughed at the thought of trainers on their cell phones
I was the one that posted that a handicapping tip is,
When you see Erv Millier on his cell phone warming up one of his horses!
First of all its not very often anymore that you even see Erv Miller warm up one of his horses
And the incident I am talking about was this past Super Night
It was about the 9th race and I was standing outside with my wife having a beer might have been about 10:00 pm
Erv turns the horse does a mile,  I cant remember the horses name ,looks like the 2nd coming of Niatross
All I remember is the horse was maybe 6-8 -1morning line, Tetrick drove and won and went off at about 9/5
Just maybe Erv was calling the owner, and telling them the horse warmed up great
But I doubt he was calling in an entry at another track, or calling Main Street to order a pizza
But my first thought after seeing him on the phone and watching the horse warm up was "bet that nag"
sleepless

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »

Joe Anderson tells of the time recently when he was carrying his cell phone during a race and forgot to turn it off.  Someone tried to call  Joe during the race and the noise from the ringing scared to horse.  Of course the horse ran faster to get away from the ringing and it won.  A REAL RINGER race.
Dan Nance

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 02:03:19 PM »

Joe Anderson tells of the time recently when he was carrying his cell phone during a race and forgot to turn it off.  Someone tried to call  Joe during the race and the noise from the ringing scared to horse.  Of course the horse ran faster to get away from the ringing and it won.  A REAL RINGER race.

sleepless

I called Ronnie " Boom Boom " Marsh up and told him to put his cell phone ring volume on high and I will call him when he's driving " Broadway George " in the 10th race tonight. He should get away on the lead or in the two hole tonight so when he hits the half I'll start ringing his phone like a mad man. Hopefully it will scare the horse like it did Joe (the knife's) horse. 
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »

Shoot when I was at Springfield a couple of years ago in the mornin i saw Erv taking a horse to go jog, eating some breakfast, and talking on his cell phone. It wasnt in the paddock but i thought it was cool how multi talented he was.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
racefixer101

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 03:51:26 PM »

I think there is a big difference between a trainer on a cell phone and a driver on the cell phone right after the race talking on the phone as the trainer walks off with the horse!!! If he's not reporting to the trainer then who is he reporting too????And Why???
shuffledagain

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 06:43:50 PM »

Anyone have any of the drivers cell phone numbers?? light bulb light bulb

Last in 24.2, "something ain't right with that!"
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 11:06:31 PM »

This will turn out to be like Paris Hiltons cell phone #. I bet you would get a hundred request for TTs #.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
sleepless

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »

Anyone know of any new rules changes regarding  use of cell phones by drivers, trainers during racing?
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: