Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 04:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quad City Downs Trivia  (Read 12724 times)
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

Donna, I know Mike Perrin was knocked to the ground by Vince Affrunti in the race and me myself was standing right there when Drew Johnson HIT the front of the ambulance. "Oh, F^&k! "he said as he finally looked up. I just cant imagine what he did because he was sitting last on the rail and as everyone flowed out around the outrider(which he hit) he suddenly grabbed up all he could. I dont remember the horse but i might guess Welchkin or G Scott Valiant? You should know who I am if you think about it now. I rememeber you saying after the races that night that Johnson was sitting in the kitchen and no one really knew him and he just listened to everyone making the idiot of the day.....LOL That was actually 1988 wasn't it? Man That seems like a LONG time ago. beer
Report to moderator   Logged

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »

OH !! The QCD track kitchen.
One noon a young lady says to me "Lets go some where for I am the horniest broad you ever met in your life"
We did and she was.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Dleestable

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »

Donna, I know Mike Perrin was knocked to the ground by Vince Affrunti in the race and me myself was standing right there when Drew Johnson HIT the front of the ambulance. "Oh, F^&k! "he said as he finally looked up. I just cant imagine what he did because he was sitting last on the rail and as everyone flowed out around the outrider(which he hit) he suddenly grabbed up all he could. I dont remember the horse but i might guess Welchkin or G Scott Valiant? You should know who I am if you think about it now. I rememeber you saying after the races that night that Johnson was sitting in the kitchen and no one really knew him and he just listened to everyone making the idiot of the day.....LOL That was actually 1988 wasn't it? Man That seems like a LONG time ago

Mo you are a winner.  It was Mike and the horse was Active Time Mark. You are right all on counts except the horses name.  We had just bought Mark and he didn't get seriously hurt and did win his next start.  I believe it was the ambulance driver who said, " Oh F***".  I think Drew was thinking the rail had just opened up and he was going for it, untill that damn ambulance got in the way. God that was a long time ago.  Good times at the Quad.
Dleestable

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 05:44:01 PM »

Hey Donna,
                  The following from the May 2, 1956 Harness Horse and Illinois items.
You think it's the same Earl Stevens?

Yes that is the same Earl Stevens.  I knew Earl and his brother ( Tug) both.  Tug was one of a kind.  He took us to breakfast one morning at Springfield and was feeding my son some mountain oysters.  He barely had any teeth, he was very young and to this day when I tell my son the story he almost gags.  Funnier than hell at the time. I won't mention which son it was for my own safety.  Grin Grin
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »

I may be wrong ,but I think Tug was a driving force behind the movement to save the old big barns at Springfield. I think Tug and others got them listed With the State Historical Society as Historical Sites, and therefor got money from the state to repair them.
Then again that many only be Tug's slant on the story.

As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »

John  Searle at QCD
There will never be another "Hubrail Johnny"
John always had more then his share of hecklers. Of course he would egg them on making it better or worse depending on your reaction to hecklers. One Sunday Afternoon they are getting on him pretty good.
After we turn in the post parade John drives over to me and says" Did you hear my fans. They are here to wish me luck".
Damn he was fun to be around.

Dleestable

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »

Insert Quote
I may be wrong ,but I think Tug was a driving force behind the movement to save the old big barns at Springfield. I think Tug and others got them listed With the State Historical Society as Historical Sites, and therefor got money from the state to repair them.
Then again that

I believe you are right about that. 
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 09:38:17 PM »

OK, how about some more great questions? I'm game from 88' on. This is good stuff!!!

wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »

OK, how about some more great questions? I'm game from 88' on. This is good stuff!!!

Your referring to "1888?"
Right Wink

My data set for "1988" forward is rather sparse Wink

Regards Don
Dleestable

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »

OK...what was the name of the horse that I broke the record for most wins in a season, and who drove him?

Next question.  Name the horse that caused probably the worst wreck at the Quad.  I think five went down, with drivers Doug Hamilton, Dave ***, Ronnie  V. and Randy Jacobs I believe, can't remember the other one.  It was a nasty wreck on the backside. Horse was left in a pile and was claimed that night. Who claimed the horse laying on the track?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:58:32 PM by Dleestable » Report to moderator   Logged
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 05:43:36 AM »

Donna, I'll try Corky's Egyptian and Dean Magee, and I'll say Whata Falcon with RV on the front just going past the 5/8's. Got his left front caught in the hobble as I remember. I'll bet Charlie Gardner still thinks Corky is his? LOL......I was actually going to post about the wreck in question. I believe Roy Saul claimed him back that day? RV had claimed him the week or 2 before.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:45:20 AM by Mo usedto » Report to moderator   Logged

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 07:13:01 AM »

1  What owner,driver,and trainer died in a motorcycle crash not far from the stable gate?

2   What o,tr,and dr. like D. Wayne Lucas was a past Wisc. School teacher? Finished out his career racing at QCD.

3 What Minn. Hall Of Fame member once kept his stable at QCD?

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 07:34:52 AM »

I can't remember his last name. Ernie Miller ? He was killed driving a moped to J&J's. Terrible thing hit by a semi as I heard. He was a bit before my time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:37:28 AM by Mo usedto » Report to moderator   Logged

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 07:35:49 AM »

Bill Baier was the presiding judge for a long time at QCD. He once set me down for interference .
I said to him "But judge I never hit the man".
What did Mr. Baier say to me?

NJ if you read this as a licensed judge please tell me what you would have said?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:45:06 AM by looking in » Report to moderator   Logged

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 07:36:57 AM »

I can't remember his last name. Eddie ? He was killed driving a moped to J&J's. Terrible thing hit by a semi as I heard. He was a bit before my time.
Try Ernie

Ernie Miller is correct.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:43:49 AM by looking in » Report to moderator   Logged

Dleestable

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »

Mo,

You were right on all counts. Whata Falcon was the horse and he did get claimed by Roy that night. Corkys Egyptian did break the record for most wins in a season.

OK...your good, but who did we take the record from...Driver and horse?

Only school teacher I remember was Jim McGarty, one of my all time favorite guys.   

Only person that I can think of from Minn.  was Brian Pinske, another of my all time favorite guys.

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 08:08:13 AM »

You got me on the old record Donna, but I would guess something of Blade's. Maybe one of those nice mares he trained for Terry Brown?

Dleestable

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »

I will give you the drivers name...Bill Lorance. It was a mare he had, but I will have to hit my old programs for her name.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:19:32 AM by Dleestable » Report to moderator   Logged
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »

I certainly know Bill, but I don't know the horse. You got me doh

Dleestable

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 08:20:37 AM »

How about the name of the outrider that was hit during the big ambulance wreck?
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »

doh I can see her. But names I'm usually bad with.

njhorseman

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2008, 09:56:20 AM »

Bill Baier was the presiding judge for a long time at QCD. He once set me down for interference .
I said to him "But judge I never hit the man".
What did Mr. Baier say to me?

NJ if you read this as a licensed judge please tell me what you would have said?

I would have said: "Mr. Looking In, it's not necessary for you to have made physical contact to be guilty of interference. All you had to do was cause him to grab up his horse and shorten stride, go off stride, or alter course in order to avoid hitting you."

PS...Mr. Looking In, just to clarify something, I am technically not a licensed judge as I have never applied for a USTA judge's license since I have never been employed as same.  I am a graduate of the Racing Officials Accreditation Program. You will see my name listed here: http://www.horseracingofficials.com/officials.asp?section=2 , highlighted in green to indicate the lack of working experience as a judge.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:12:02 AM by njhorseman » Report to moderator   Logged
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »

I can't remember his last name. Ernie Miller ? He was killed driving a moped to J&J's. Terrible thing hit by a semi as I heard. He was a bit before my time.
Another QCD regular was also killed on the highway.
I believe he was on his way to drive at SP. Park.
Orange and white colors with a black T on the sleeve.

Donna;  You are right about Jim McGarty And Brian Pinske.
Just this last winter Brian was elected into the Minn. hall of fame.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:15:03 PM by looking in » Report to moderator   Logged

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »

I would have said: "Mr. Looking In, it's not necessary for you to have made physical contact to be guilty of interference. All you had to do was cause him to grab up his horse and shorten stride, go off stride, or alter course in order to avoid hitting you."

PS...Mr. Looking In, just to clarify something, I am technically not a licensed judge as I have never applied for a USTA judge's license since I have never been employed as same.  I am a graduate of the Racing Officials Accreditation Program. You will see my name listed here: http://www.horseracingofficials.com/officials.asp?section=2 , highlighted in green to indicate the lack of working experience as a judge.
As usual you are right on and politically correct, but most judges I have met on the other hand want to be Mean,Sarcastic,and Nasty.

Judge Baier said "NO SON!!!, BUT YOU SURE AS HELL DID INTIMIDATE HIM, THAT WILL BE THREE DAYS"

The next year the horse I was driving was able to do something I have never been able to do.
Visit the Meadowlands Winners circle.

Dleestable

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »

Donna;  You are right about Jim McGarty And Brian Pinske.
Just this last winter Brian was elected into the Minn. hall of fame.

Brian deserved to be in there.  Super talented guy with a great sense of humor. Jim McGarty was one of the nicest guys around.  I loved the guy.  He also brought along another school teacher named Ed Jones.  Anyone remember the big trotter named Jeff Bar Lynn I believe was his name. Ed drove him himself. Ed was a music teacher and played back up horn for Motown Records, plus a humongous line of bull a mile long. beer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: